Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Best baby carriers for newborns/infants?

Just wondering what everyone's take is on baby wearing an infant/newborn and what you suggest would be the best carrier. I tried a ring sling, and really didn't care for how it hurt my back after a while. The typical front carriers that you get in the store hurt my back too and are just plain awkward. Would a mei tai be better for better weight distribution? And is a MT better for carrying around such a small baby? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
ellemenopee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best baby carriers for newborns/infants?

Couldn't have lived without my Bjorn. Still love it and dd is 21 pounds. DD would sleep and I'd face her toward me and buckle her in, she's sleep for 2 hours while I did my grocery shopping. It was WONDERFUL. I'd see other mommas with babies in slings who were crying and throwing fits because their legs were all cramped...and mine was so happy and quiet! Easy to put on, DH can wear it and loves it, and it fits the same everytime, in all the right places.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Jane456
Registered Users
Formerly: lindsaym
seller

My fave was the moby wrap... easy to put on and a nb is so secure you can bend, move & chase a toddler without having to worry!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used a MT from the time DD was about 4 weeks old, before that I had a hotsling pouch. I loved my pouch, it was so easy, but I really feel the MT love. I have 4 Really I think it's better to invest in something like a MT or a good wrap the a Bjoern because most people I know have had to quit using them when DC is around 20 lbs because they get to heavy. Right now DH and I both carry DD on our backs with no problems at all and she's 5 1/2 months old. I have a feeling she'll be back there for a while

There are a couple places that have loaner kits where you can get a MT, RS, wrap and pouch to try, and that way you can figure out what's best for you.

GL and HTH
Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like an MT would work well for you. I didn't start using one until DS2 was about 4 months old, but that's because I didn't know they existed until then. I wore my friends 3 week old in my MT for a full afternoon when they were visiting, and she was shocked at how much I was able to get done with him on me (and at how well he slept).

I also think that a stretchy wrap would work well for you, although you might find it a bit awkward to tie. Once it's on though, you can leave it there all day and pop baby in an out. They are excellent for weight distribution. A MT would likely last longer though, as many people find that their child outgrows a stretchy wrap by about 20 lbs. My 25 lb almost-2 year old still rides in MT regularly.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

1. If the ring sling hurts your back odds are it's not positioned correctly (unless you have a very heavy baby - like 15+ lbs, or you have back/shoulder problems).

Check out this link for tips and videos of how to use it - http://zolowear.com/WearingTroubleshooting.aspx

2. The Moby wrap is great for young infants, but it does have a bit of a learning curve to learn to tie it on. www.mobywrap.com

You can get Moby's used on here and on www.thebabywearer.com swap forums for $25ppd if you decide to try one

3. A mei tai is awesome if your baby likes to be carried upright against your chest - check out www.babyhawk.com
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I love the peanut shell the best for newborns!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenopee View Post
Couldn't have lived without my Bjorn. Still love it and dd is 21 pounds. DD would sleep and I'd face her toward me and buckle her in, she's sleep for 2 hours while I did my grocery shopping. It was WONDERFUL. I'd see other mommas with babies in slings who were crying and throwing fits because their legs were all cramped...and mine was so happy and quiet! Easy to put on, DH can wear it and loves it, and it fits the same everytime, in all the right places.
Be careful with these kinds of carriers mama! They can be very bad for a baby's spine! You can pretty much get the same position (with their legs out) from a mei tai or wrap - except their bums will be supported instead of all the weight being between their legs.

http://www.continuum-concept.org/rea...nalStress.html
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Ditto on the Moby. Loved it from day 2 (when we got home from the hospital)! So cozy and snuggly. . .until he started to get really heavy. DH even liked the Moby. We also used a mt with DS when he was tiny, but DH didn't feel as comfortable with it - he's Mr. MT-man now, but he didn't feel comfortable getting DS into one until he was about 4 months or so.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved my pouch for my ds2. He would spend hours in there all snuggly and asleep.

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote