Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy "Delivery Status Not Updated" - Help! Is the package lost?

I've always dreaded the day I would have to post in this forum, and now it has come! :sob: I would really appreciate some thoughts!

I sold a little over $100 worth of diapers to a mama on here in the middle of November. It was all sent out via USPS Priority mail on 11/18, headed out of California on the way to Florida. Of course, this was all done through PayPal and a DC was obtained and emailed to her, etc. etc.

A week and a half to two weeks later, the mama PMs me saying she has no diapers and she really needed them ASAP. I write back saying I'm so sorry she hasn't gotten them, has she checked the DC? I find the DC and include it in the PM, in case she can't find it for some reason in her email. I check the DC as well and see that it was processed through a sort facility and out for delivery on the 22nd. I tell her she should definitely have them and to please check in with her post office.

She says that her post office told her there may be a problem with the package and that it might have been sent back. (I don't know why? If it was processed and got all the way to being out for delivery, what would the problem be? I'm genuinely curious.) By now, the tracking says that the "Delivery Status Not Updated November 22nd, as of 10:39pm". She said if I receive them, please let her know and that she/her post office was going to be checking with her carrier that afternoon.

A couple days go by, no word and I hope this meant that she had gotten her diapers. But still, I check in and send a PM (this is now 12/1) asking if she was able to talk to her carrier and find out what's going on. I told her I haven't received any packages back as of yet.

Then I received a PM from her this morning saying she still has not gotten her diapers and she's really disappointed (hopefully at the PO and not me). She asks if I purchased insurance and she really hopes that I did and if the box comes back to me can I just refund her the $$ since she's had to buy stuff in the meantime since the diapers have not arrived.

So here are my questions:
- She hasn't gotten back to me about what her PO or carrier has said about the situation and I have no idea what "Delivery Not Updated" means. Should I be the one to call her post office to ask?
- I did not purchase insurance. All my prices are PPD and often at the bottom of my threads I'll write that prices include DC but not insurance and that it's up to the buyer if they want it, but of course in this particular thread that I listed the dipes, I did not write that. I did ask that buyers ask questions if they are unsure about anything but that's not the same, I know. So if this package is lost or something, even though it shows it's out for delivery (albeit not actually delivered), am I obligated to refund her money?
- Could this be a case of buyer's remorse and she just refused the package or something?

Please help! I would love your thoughts..........

Advertisement

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: "Delivery Status Not Updated" - Help! Is the package lost?

I would contact her PO and ask them about it, perhaps they can give you more info or maybe it got brought to the wrong house or something along those lines, my neighbours just got a package of mine yesterday and ive gotten theirs a few times as well, so that can often happen.

But as far as refunding her, no i dont think you are obligated to, you have the DC, which proves youve sent them and held up your end of the deal, IMO you as the seller are not responsible for PO mistakes.

I do hope the dipes show up though.
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure how PP would decide on that. Personally, I don't think you're responsible to refund her, but PP might decide differently.
I would call her post office and ask to speak with the postmaster. Explain the situation to him and have him find out where the package went. To me, it sounds like the carrier stole the package.
If it does escalate on PP or something, talk to the mom about refunding half, since you are both "out" the product. That makes it fair-er... I guess? I just did that recently when I had a package get "missent" (it didn't show up and it was mailed a month earlier)... The mama gave me a partial refund, and I really appreciate her for doing that.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
cheerkri
Banned

Quote:
But as far as refunding her, no i dont think you are obligated to, you have the DC, which proves youve sent them and held up your end of the deal, IMO you as the seller are not responsible for PO mistakes.
This. If she didn't opt to pay the insurance fee, then sadly it's her loss.
cheerkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerkri View Post
This. If she didn't opt to pay the insurance fee, then sadly it's her loss.
Actually i believe if it goes to PP and gets disputed you will find out technically it is the seller who should be responsible for insurance not the buyer-- that's why i will never send out a package --even with DC that i wouldn't be prepared to refund for if it got lost --- if its an amount i can't afford to take a loss on i buy insurance to cover myself just in that off chance that something like this does happen. I hope the package is found mama! i would contact her post office yourself if possible and see what is going on-- if it was out for delivery at one point it must have been at her PO--- good luck mama!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
Actually i believe if it goes to PP and gets disputed you will find out technically it is the seller who should be responsible for insurance not the buyer-- that's why i will never send out a package --even with DC that i wouldn't be prepared to refund for if it got lost --- if its an amount i can't afford to take a loss on i buy insurance to cover myself just in that off chance that something like this does happen. I hope the package is found mama! i would contact her post office yourself if possible and see what is going on-- if it was out for delivery at one point it must have been at her PO--- good luck mama!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

She can file through paypal - its not enough that you can prove you SENT it, you have to prove it was DELIVERED. Otherwise you are out the $. And the previous poster is correct - YOU are responsible for insurance, not the buyer.

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Agree with the PP on this. I really hope the package shows up soon and you get some answers!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

THanks mamas. She said that when she asked her post office, all they told her was that it must be lost and to file a claim. I'll try her PO tomorrow and see if I can get them to look under some stuff in the back or something. It's got to turn up somewhere!

And while I don't want to be out $100, I don't want her to be out $$ and no diapers either.

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure where you sent it, but I've had a package pend as "status not updated" for about 3 weeks. The package in this case was going to Alaska. I was freaking out way more than the mama, as she said things got held up all the time. It did eventually get there, but I truly thought it was gone for a good two weeks.
Last Christmas a mama crocheted some stuff and mailed the package to me. It showed delivered, but I never got it. I was BUMMED. The carrier said he for sure put it in our mail box. A week or two later, it showed up. I bet money he put it in someone's box, just not ours and it took a while to find it's way back.
I'm just sharing in hopes that you'll be reassured to know that maybe it's just temporarily lost in transit and will find it's way to one of you. Good luck mama.