Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

my baby has a double ear infection (lots of different questions inside)

This is the first time my baby has been real sick. She will be 1 on Wednesday. We went to the doctor and got antibiotics today. I wanted it to clear on its own but caved and gave her the medicine.

Here are my questions-

The recommended probiotics in yogurt, I couldn't find a good yogurt so I got a yogurt milk drink thing with probiotics- that is ok to give right?

What about Thrush? I am terrified she will get it and then I will get it. What can I do to prevent?

Cloth Diapers and yeast rashes- I heard it can be a battle so I bought some sposies, I figure I will start her on them tomorrow until the medicine runs its course just in case.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: my baby has a double ear infection (lots of different questions inside)

Hey mama,
My DS is only 7 months but had his first double ear infection just before he turned 5 months old. His fever got pretty high so I got the antibiotics to treat it. He hasn't had one since but as of last night he may be developing another one.

Anyway, I had all the same worries, and am pleased to say we got no thrush, no yeast, and really had no adverse effects whatsoever from the antibiotics.

Someone on here told me that you want to be careful with the probiotics b/c they can keep the antibiotics from doing what they are supposed to do to clear the infection.

I would just snuggle your baby girl and nurse her often, and deal with the possibilities as they come rather than worry about them in the meantime KWIM?

I hope your LO feels better soon!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD has had about 7 double ear infections before she got tubes (she is now 15 mos and has had 3 double ear infections since ...albeit draining because of the tubes). with each ear infection she was on at least one AB (usually 2 or 3 different ones to clear it up!). only once did we get a diaper yeast infection. she never did get thrush. after about her 3rd ear infection we started putting her on oral probiotic powder that we would mix in her drinks since she was too young for yogurt at that point.

good luck with your DD ear infections are no fun for her or for you
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks ladies!

i feel a little better, I think you can read so many horror stories that you think things are more common than they are.

Funny thing is she hasn't even been too cranky. She is cutting 4 teeth right now too and I think that is where most of the pain is.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama, don't panic. My DS has had tons of ear infections (now has PE tubes). We have never had thrush on antibiotics or any other time. He hasn't ever had what I would call a severe diaper rash, but he has been rashy. He wears sposies at daycare 4 days/week and cloth diapers at home. I use Bummis flushable liners in the cloth diapers so I can use diaper cream.

HTH, hope your LO feels better soon!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried or heard of lymphatic massage? Look it up online and try it! My ds had an ear infection and the dr gave him antibiotic drops the first time. The next time he had one, I tried the lymphatic massage and it went away completely within a day=)! I have done it several times now and it works every time!
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD who will be 1 on the 21st just got over a double ear infection. I had her to the Dr. and they put her on antibiotic. After the first round of that and a follow up appt the infection was still bad. They put her on a second script and she had a bad reaction within the first day so I took her off of it. I ended up using sweet oil and garlic and when her ped checked her ears on Thursday she said they were perfect and said she was now a believer Garlic is anti-viral and it worked fast.

I hope your lo feels better really soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

DS has been on amoxicillin twice for ear infections, and we haven't had any trouble with thrush or yeast. We do give him yogurt once a day most of the time and especially when he's on amoxicillin because I don't want his tummy to get upset; I haven't heard that probiotics aren't good when you're on antibiotics. Beware: antibiotic poo is STINKY
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
maybekach
Registered Users
seller

How common is it for eat infections to clear on their own? I want to avoid antibiotics with my 8 year old, but fear he has an infection in one ear.
maybekach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybekach View Post
How common is it for eat infections to clear on their own? I want to avoid antibiotics with my 8 year old, but fear he has an infection in one ear.
I haven't heard of many ear infections clearing on their own. but if you suspect infection I'd at least get it checked out and get a prescription ready 'cause they can get pretty bad and painful

what I do know is that chiropractic can help, def. recommend it, not in lieu of the doctor visit, in addition to that

meds have their place, don't make him suffer more than he has to

* I just got over one, I waited too long on the check up and then the stupid drops couldn't even help, I had to take oral antibiotics
but if I would have gone in first thing, it could have been nipped in the bud with the drops - easy & topical