Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

5-week old napping too long?

How long is too long for a 5-week old to nap during the day? My baby boy is a great sleeper. My first son was NOT a good sleeper and woke up at least 8 times a night for the first year. I would nurse him back to sleep and that became a habit for him. Now my new son started sleeping for long periods of time during the first week we brought him home--and that was at night! I did wake him to feed him like all the books say to do so my milk supply was not jeopardized. But now I just let him sleep until I become so engorged and can't take it anymore. I have an oversupply and a strong let-down, so no supply issues here. I guess I'm just not used to all this sleeping and I'm wondering if it's okay? I think the longest he's napped during the day is 3 hours at a time, because I end up waking him. But he takes multiple naps like this. He is very fussy in the evenings and cluster feeds. Is all this okay?

Advertisement

*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5-week old napping too long?

I don't see it as an issue. My 9 month old still doesn't sleep through out the night but dd1 did by 5 months. My sil's new baby started sleeping throughout the night by a month old. I wanted to slap her when she told me that lol. So every baby is different so this shouldn't be a problem. I would let him sleep
Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would let him sleep at night and pump instead. Then develop a routine for the day that both you and he are comfortable with so he is eating well and you are able to avoid feeling uncomfortable. I personally do not wake babies at night to eat and have had great success with that. I do wake during the day to develop a routine. The fussy evenings is really, really common so I would go with whatever makes him comfortable.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different. It seemed like all 3 of mine slept constantly for the first three months, and suddenly they "woke up" at 3 months old and began interacting, getting onto a real schedule, staying awake after nursing here and there, you know.

Newborns can be very sleepy people.

I would just let him sleep. If you can pump, try that. You guys will find your own rhythm and get on your own schedule soon enough. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

normal. and awesome!!!!!!! Tell Julien to send some of those awesome sleepy vibes to Alex - he could use them!

Oh yeah, and FLUFFY PICS!