Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pre-employment screening and pg?

I'm having an interview on Thursday, and this job does a standard drug test I guess when it hires new people (everyone down here in Florida seems to do that, I wonder if there's a higher drug problem down here??). The question I have is, do you think they'll run a pg test too and if so, can they NOT hire me if I am pregnant? I am pg, but I am only approx. 5 weeks 5 days so haven't really told anyone yet, but I'm wondering if they can exclude me from hiring if a test came up positive. I would think that's discrimination, but I could be way off base. I wasn't planning on telling anyone until necessary as IMO it's not really any of their business as it won't affect my ability to do the job and I"m still early enough in the pg that I have TONS of time. I can work late in the pg if I have to, in the past I've worked until the day I gave birth so that's not an issue for me (I hope, lol). Anyone have any ideas about this?

Advertisement

ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pre-employment screening and pg?

I am pretty sure its illegal to not hire you because you're pg. I bet they won't even check for that though. GL
Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most (99.999%) places of business do not do a pregnancy test when they hire you. It's not part of the drug test, so I don't think you have to worry. You also are not required to tell them about your pregnancy (CONGRATS!) either, so I think you'll be ok.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Stefany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They won't check for pg likely and like PP said, it is ILLEGAL to not hire you because you are pg!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Holy Cow mama youre PG Again!! CONGRATS!!!! now youll be zoocrew11! I wish I could get pg as easily as you Im so jealous but super happy for you!!

But they wont do a pg test on you. That is such gray territory i cant imagine any employer stepping into that by testiing you, because it is considered discrimination for not hiring or firing due to preganacy, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen you know?? But I just would say anything...because you are still early enough to not know, so when you decide to tell them after you get hired act like it was a surprise
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
aywilkes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
I'm having an interview on Thursday, and this job does a standard drug test I guess when it hires new people (everyone down here in Florida seems to do that, I wonder if there's a higher drug problem down here??). The question I have is, do you think they'll run a pg test too and if so, can they NOT hire me if I am pregnant? I am pg, but I am only approx. 5 weeks 5 days so haven't really told anyone yet, but I'm wondering if they can exclude me from hiring if a test came up positive. I would think that's discrimination, but I could be way off base. I wasn't planning on telling anyone until necessary as IMO it's not really any of their business as it won't affect my ability to do the job and I"m still early enough in the pg that I have TONS of time. I can work late in the pg if I have to, in the past I've worked until the day I gave birth so that's not an issue for me (I hope, lol). Anyone have any ideas about this?
No, they would not do a pg test and if they do, I'm sure that is against the law. It is also against the law for them to not hire you b/c of pg. I recently went through something like this except I was 4-5 months pg. I interviewed and they couldn't tell, but when they made the offer I disclosed my pregnancy before accepting to gauge reaction. Both companies didn't have a problem with it and one of them gave examples of women who recently started and were in the same predicament. I was nervous as ever though.
aywilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
spathakis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't think you need to worry.I did a preemployment test wheni was 5 weeks pregnant and i had no problem getting employed.
Good luck
spathakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think they can test without your consent. And it is illegal for them not to hire you because you are preggers, but they could very easily find another reason no to kwim?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
Holy Cow mama youre PG Again!! CONGRATS!!!! now youll be zoocrew11! I wish I could get pg as easily as you Im so jealous but super happy for you!!

But they wont do a pg test on you. That is such gray territory i cant imagine any employer stepping into that by testiing you, because it is considered discrimination for not hiring or firing due to preganacy, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen you know?? But I just would say anything...because you are still early enough to not know, so when you decide to tell them after you get hired act like it was a surprise
Lol, I know I was stunned myself - waiting around for AF and nothing.....although I think I knew, I was just avoiding reality. I was trying to avoid PG for a while (I can't take BC, so was doing natural planning around cycles and avoiding DH like the plague, lol, poor guy) but I was off by a week - thought I had started on one date and it was actually another, so that did me in. This is actually only my sixth pregnancy, the other kiddos are my full time step-children. The oldest stayed in Michigan with my BIL to finish out his senior year, he didn't want to leave - so we only have 7 kiddos at home right now....sigh....and I left ALL of my baby stuff in Michigan. I don't even have any maternity clothes, ugh. Oh well.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're covered by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act....

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote