Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
corrielainedd
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cutting out dairy, need recipes, and alternatives!

Im going to try cutting out cow dairy. DD (2months) has had bumpy eczema type skin, and it cleared up quite a bit when I stopped drinking cows milk. I want to see if cutting out cow dairy completely would eleminate the problem

SO! id love to hear some great alternatives to some of my favorite things!!
Im ok with soy milk or almond milk, but can those things be used for baking and such in place of cows milk?
I do l ike goat cheese, but what other cheese alternatives? Yogurt? Sour Cream? mayo?

How about some yummy dairy free recipes?

Advertisement

SAHM/WAHM to DD1 born Nov. 20, '08, and DD2 Oct. 12, '10. Expecting #3 end of Jan 2015 (team green) wifey to my wonderful DH !
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cor...20931291290000
corrielainedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
LovnMyBoys
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cutting out dairy, need recipes, and alternatives!

I would not consume goat's milk products while doing this trial. The milk protein is similar enough to cow's milk that most will react to both. Many babies who have issues with cow's milk also have issues with soy too so just keep that in mind.
Rice milk works fine subbed in for baking, and so does dairy free margarine (we use Earth Balace soy free). Mayo is dairy free I believe, but there is soy based veganaise if not. There are also soy based yogurt and sour cream alternatives but we avoid soy here too so I can't help you with that. Apparently there is a coconut milk yogurt out there but I haven't seen it here. Coconut milk makes great ice cream, and can be whipped up for whipped cream. It also works well for creamy pasta sauces. Hands down Daiya is the best cheese alternative out there.
Hope this helps you get started.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
corrielainedd
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnMyBoys View Post
I would not consume goat's milk products while doing this trial. The milk protein is similar enough to cow's milk that most will react to both. Many babies who have issues with cow's milk also have issues with soy too so just keep that in mind.
Rice milk works fine subbed in for baking, and so does dairy free margarine (we use Earth Balace soy free). Mayo is dairy free I believe, but there is soy based veganaise if not. There are also soy based yogurt and sour cream alternatives but we avoid soy here too so I can't help you with that. Apparently there is a coconut milk yogurt out there but I haven't seen it here. Coconut milk makes great ice cream, and can be whipped up for whipped cream. It also works well for creamy pasta sauces. Hands down Daiya is the best cheese alternative out there.
Hope this helps you get started.
Thanks mama! i looked up Daiya, but the closest place that sells it is 2 hours away
SAHM/WAHM to DD1 born Nov. 20, '08, and DD2 Oct. 12, '10. Expecting #3 end of Jan 2015 (team green) wifey to my wonderful DH !
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cor...20931291290000
corrielainedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mayonnaise is fine to eat. It's egg that's in it. Not dairy.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who has cut out dairy because it gives her son reflux. When the kids were in cooking class, on smoothie day, she brought coconut yogurt in place of regular for him.

Coconut milk is yummy when used for a sauce for chicken (I have make the thai chicken recipe on the can, actually).

Plain soymilk can be used in place of regular milk in most recipes.

And you can buy vegan "butter" at the healthfood store.

Alot of baking recipes allow you to use margarin instead of butter (always check the notes. SOME cookies won't come out well). And it's good to know that when you use margarine instead of butter, the cookies will spread out a little more, be a little crisper, and won't rise as much. Simply because margarine melts at a lower temperature than butter.

Good luck!
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love this vegan food blog (I'm not vegan, but she has some super tasty recipes): http://veganyumyum.com/

Here are couple of ice cream alternatives:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...ginger-sorbet/

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/t...e-cream-097170
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

-Follow your Heart makes a fantastic vegan Mozzerella
-Tofutti makes a fantastic sliced "american cheese, Sour cream and cream cheese (all vegan)
-Godairyfree.com has lots and lots of info
-Coconut milk makes for a great sub in baking/ frosting/ deserts
-Earth Balance margarine is fantastic or you can use Smart Balance Organic,
-Mimic Creme is great for making cream based soups
-Almond breeze can be bought in 1/2 gal containers and is super yummy especially if your trying to limit Soy. I use almond breeze as a sub for dairy in everything and have never had an issue.
-Most faux cheddars are pretty gross
-Nutritional yeast flakes are a pretty good sub for Parmesan
STAY AWAY from the Lisanti, veggie, almond, rice cheeses you find in the produce dept. they ALL have dairy.

Learning all the code words for dairy is very important because just looking for Casein and Whey won't be enough.

I have been 100% dairy free since February and don't miss dairy in the least mostly because of the horrible reactions it causes when I do accidently eat any.

Good luck and if you have any questions I would be happy to help you out.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote