Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Upset at my LLL meeting last night

I love my LLL leader and usually love the meetings but last night we had 3 new mamas who are due in Jan & March.

My best friend and I that attend are the only two actively nursing moms - she has a 1 yr old and I have a 10 month old so we were sharing our recent experiences.

One of the moms asked how about what you would do when the baby is going through a growth spurt and you are back to work and the response from the LLL leader was "you take 2 days off of work and stay in bed and nurse the baby".

My eyes kind of bugged out of my head (along with the new mamas!) but I stayed calm and said that yes, in a perfect word that would happen but in a world where most families are 2 income families and can't afford to take sick time off every time there is a growth spurt that you can mimic a growth spurt with a pump and offered some other tips.

The LLL leader was none too pleased at my advice and said "well, the only thing the LLL recommends is staying with the baby at all times and nursing through it".

Sigh. I guess I am just disappointed. As a full time WOHM who EP'd for 1 year and now is successfully nursing - I feel like her response was way too strict and old school. You can be a BFing WOHM, you can EP while pg. These things are all possible but that kind of closed mentality is what turns people off I feel like.

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Thready or Knot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Upset at my LLL meeting last night

Way to stand up and say something! I agree that being so rigid doesn't help support breastfeeding moms who work outside the home. It also doesn't help promote breastfeeding as an option to those of us that needed to go back to work.
Thready or Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmomlikeLorelai View Post
Way to stand up and say something! I agree that being so rigid doesn't help support breastfeeding moms who work outside the home. It also doesn't help promote breastfeeding as an option to those of us that needed to go back to work.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you! That is so OLD school! I can't believe a leader of a b****** support group would say that! I worked FT and pumped at work for DS for a year (while nursing when I was at home). You just do like you said, pump more! I can't imagine calling in to work for a "sick day" and saying to my boss that DS was going through a growth spurt so I had to stay home to nurse him all day.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I can see why you were upset - I would have been upset too. I'm so glad you spoke up - real moms with real dilemnas needed to hear what you had to say. Having options are what makes it possible for moms to find a solution that works.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
ShadowLark
Registered Users

That is just crazy! Even if she couldn't change her pumping schedule, she could just make up for it at night. (Co sleeping saves me with nursing. And even if she doesn't usually co sleep, co sleeping for the first 2 months will help establish her supply and avoid confusing the baby with back and forth every week or so. She should look at it like the baby is "sick". You bend the rules for growth spurts just like you would for illness.)

That way, her supply keeps up with the baby and she keeps her job. But from what I've heard, LLL isn't big on supporting WOHM anyway, which is sad if it's true.
ShadowLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmomlikeLorelai View Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not really surprised that this came from a LLL leader.

I tried to go to LLL meetings in my old neighborhood when we started having problems and they told me to pump more. I explained that I was already pumping every chance I had, there simply were not any more hours left in the day for me to pump and breastfeed unless I stayed awake literally 24 hours a day. They told me that if that's what I need to do to keep my baby on the breast then I have to do it, and that if I didn't do that, I was basically condemning my child to obesity and other health problems associated with formula. They made me feel like such a failure for even having problems with breastfeeding at all.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
shweebies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! that is terribly disappointing. What a way to turn off a new mama to nursing.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yikes! Sounds like the leader has a superiority complex. Unfortunately not everyone is so privileged to be able to take time off work for a growth spurt. Good job for saying something! It is hard to tell tone on the internet, but if I had a leader tell me that as an expecting mom, I would have heard "If you aren't willing to stay home with your child during a growth spurt, then breastfeeding won't work. Too bad. There is no other way and it is obvious that you don't love your child as much as I love mine." It just reeks of judgment. I think your comment was much more realistic and gave them hope that they can work and breastfeed.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote