Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
sick baby... need some advice

ok i have a 5 month old who is sick with a cough, stuffy nose and he is miserable. About 2 weeks ago dh convinced me to start him on some veggies. I regret starting solids to begin with. As my other kids were ebf for at least 7 months. Anyway, I have stopped the solids since yesterday hoping the breastmilk will help him get better faster. Im just wondering aside from the steamy showers , saline nose drops and "boogie sucker" and nursing him is there anything else i can do? Also can I stop feeding the solids too? thanks moms!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Re: sick baby... need some advice

YEs, you can stop feeding him solids if you like, sometimes food allergies show as congestion-not saying this is the case, but it is possible. I have put vicks vapo rub onto a washcloth and put it next to baby so he can breathe easier-not ON baby, just the cloth so he can breathe the fumes and help with congestion. I also have slept with baby on my shoulder so he can be upright while sleeping.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

vicks makes ababy rub that my kids seem to like. nak

HTH!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might try a cool mist humidifyer near his sleeping area. That helped my son with cedar allergies.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

elevate his mattress in his crib or cradle as well. It helps when they are propped up a bit.

We just went through this, Landyn needed a blood transfusion last week so we had to go into the PICU and we came out catching whatever cold was in there. But I put his boppy pillow in the cradle with him, laid him on it when it was bedtime and propped some blankets down at his feet to keep him from sliding down. He slept a lot better and really enjoyed the pillow. Landyn is also 5 months old.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I would recommend a cool mist humidifier as well. It really does make it easier for them to breathe.

Mama. Having a sick baby is never any fun! Hope he gets better real soon!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice here. Just for you mama! Hope your LO gets better soon.

Don't like my lack of punctuation or spelling? Don't read my posts.
"Home is what catches you when you fall. And we all fall."
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he has been tugging at his ear since last night. We put in a rough one I will tell you that. He nursed at regular times, but had to unlatch to catch his breath from time to time. Poor kid. He is laughing and seems happy otherwise. DH and I were saying he is such a good natured baby, he has no clue how to be cranky. This is throwing him for a loop! His nurse told me to give him water. LOL. I told her we are EBF and she kind of scoffed. (HUH!) Its probably my sleep deprivation but it makes me cranky when "professionals" give out crappy advice. I worked in health care for 10 years, sometimes I dont even know why I call the doctor/nurse lol. I end up going with my gut and doing my own thing anyway.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

We are going through our first ear infection right now! She started with a cold that backed up fluid into her ears. I nursed a lot sitting up with her sitting in my lap facing me. That way she could half-way breathe. I wouldn't worry about water. DD only takes water from her sippy at dinner and that's because half of it ends up on her shirt!

Hope your LO gets better soon! Those antibiotics for ear infections are not fun. DD is in sposies at daycare so that the DCP doesn't have to rinse out diarhea CDs.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
ascataylor
Registered Users

Oh my goodness - I have to tell you about a solution for the ear aches. My DD has had 2 (one in each ear) in the last week. I went to this AWESOME website called www.welltellme.com (fantastic place for natural remdies for just about anything you can think of) and did a search for "ear aches". This is what I did and it worked almost immediately (this is an excerpt from an e-mail I sent to my freinds sharing the info):

I had previously mixed fresh onion juice with warm olive oil but you're supposed to do just straight onion juice into the ear (literally grate the onion and suck up the juice into a dropper - being sure not to get little pieces of onion in dropper)....along with holding a hot (microwaved) 1/2 onion (wrapped in a paper towel so neither Mom or child is burned by hot onion) over the ear until it cools (30 minutes - I just put a wash cloth under the wrapped onion and put it on her ear and went back to bed...figured it would sit there for an extended time before Ava shifted in her sleep and I was wasted at this point!) - I know this part sounds strange but it works !

Ava's response to the pure onion juice was immediate - not like the onion/olive oil (which I'm not sure effected her until a few hours later)...she calmed right down after screaming that it was too cold going into her ear (onion was in the fridge before I grated it for the juice), then she fell asleep...FINALLY. I think she woke up screaming bloody murder about 10 times last night...ugh...after the pure onion juice she never woke up again and was fine this morning!

The onion has similar healing properties as garlic - and somehow the pure juice soothes the pain...and who knows about the hot onion over the ear...is it the aromatherapy of it??? Don't know, it just really calmed her down... Who would have thought?!?

Anyway, if you have health questions but don't want to run immediately to a Dr who will RX antibiotics - this is a FANTASTIC site! Hope baby is feeling better soon...

Amanda
ascataylor is offline   Reply With Quote