Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

tofu recipes?

We are trying to cut back on meat so I need some good tofu recipes that my whole family will like. Any ideas? thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: tofu recipes?

Hey there, The easiest way to make the switch is to replace all the ground beef recipies with Veggie Ground round.... (tofu ground beef) You will NEVER notice the difference in things like sheppards pie, chilli, spagetti. If you want to use solid tofu chunks, the best way to use it is to chop and marinate in something you like..then stir fry. I usually marinate in Tamari, cumin and garlic but anything will do. Lastly...you can also use the marinated tofu chunks to replace chicken in almost any casserole. ie replace chicken in brocolli and chicken casserole. Even if you go half and half...that will get your family used to it. good luck!
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but a friend of mine used to make this concoction for her dd, which the whole family loved. It involved tomatoes and tofu (silken, probably). I think she baked them together and then pureed the mixture, but I can't remember. I know she got it from a baby food cook book--my guess is either the Super Baby Food book or the Well-Fed Baby cook book.

Sorry that is so lame, but apart from stirfry, I can't think of too much.
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
gardengirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are two kinds of tofu, one I believe is called chinese or silken and the other is Japanese type. The silken is good for smoothies, but the Japanese style is what I use when I want a more meaty texture. You freeze it and then thaw it. I put it between two towels, with a weight on top. After about an hour I bake it in the oven about 400 degrees. Watch it after about 20 mins, it can get alittle hard. My dh loves buffalo wings, I bake up the tofu and use margarine with hot sauce, he is in heaven plus I get my buffalo kick. I always highly recommend vegweb.com, great site for info and lots of recipes including tofu. Another option to consider is seitan.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote