Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
marykatmp
Registered Users
seller

Dairy allergies... what does your 1 year-old drink instead of milk?

My 11 month old has a dairy allergy. We are going on Tuesday to the allergist to see exactly what else he has. I am still nursing and have to refrain from anything dairy, and I have had to supplement a bit with Nutramigen AA, but as he weans off of this what do I need to give him? I know there is soy, but I know there are concerns with too much soy. I plan on asking the allergist for suggestions, but at the same time I want to be educated and make the best decision. If you have been in the same boat what have you given your little one.

My other two went straight to whole milk, so this is new territory for us. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy allergies... what does your 1 year-old drink instead of milk?

Well, my daughter was said to have a milk protein allergy, but she does just fine with Lactaid whole milk. She's been drinking that for about the last year.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Wee Pea Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: Sara605
seller

We do both soy and hemp milk. I am not crazy about using soy, so we only do about a glass a day. We get it free on WIC so that's why I use it. Hemp milk is a very healthy alternative to cow's milk. It is high is omega 3's and protein. I compared it to some of the other alternatives like rice, almond, and oat milk and it is a lot better (in my opinion).

My allergist and pediatrician just told me to use soy, but I made sure to do research and found there are other options out there. You may want to use a couple different things and see what you like. My DD luckily has not been picky and has accepted both the soy and hemp since we started then at 1 year. Hopefully if that's what you start with then he won't have trouble accepting them. Good luck! Dairy allergies are hard to deal with but if you research you can find lots of alternatives.

Wee Pea Knits
- Custom woolies!
My Gallery
Wee Pea Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
astiel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just had to take DS off of dairy and soy. We are currently weaning him from forumla to rice milk. Long term, I will probably look at Hemp or Coconut milk but Rice and Almond milk are easier to get so we started there.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mostly Very Vanilla Silk (soy) and I will occassionally add a spoonful of coconut milk (straight from the can, not the prepared drink) for a little extra fat. I think I am going to have to find some hemp milk!
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykatmp View Post
My 11 month old has a dairy allergy. We are going on Tuesday to the allergist to see exactly what else he has. I am still nursing and have to refrain from anything dairy, and I have had to supplement a bit with Nutramigen AA, but as he weans off of this what do I need to give him? I know there is soy, but I know there are concerns with too much soy. I plan on asking the allergist for suggestions, but at the same time I want to be educated and make the best decision. If you have been in the same boat what have you given your little one.

My other two went straight to whole milk, so this is new territory for us. Thanks!
My eldest was MSPI until 13mon, and when we did the milk study/test he passed the milk protein, but not the lactose. Soy constipated him severally and so that is still out (including food); i would suggest Coconut milk (plain) or Almond milk.

Coconut milk is similar in taste to Lactose-Free milk. You can find coupons in the paper now for Almond milk (Almond Breeze)

WE've done Hemp milk and Rice milk, but you can't find it in big cartons and you have to spend more money.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

water! DS isn't allergic to milk, but it makes him really stuffy and can sometimes bother his tummy. so i skipped it altogether and he's never had more than a sip or two. milk is really just a fortified beverage and is not an actual nutritional requirement - it's a cultural thing unique to this country and other western European nations/former colonies. so long as your LO gets enough fluid somehow (through nursing or water) and is eating a well-balanced diet, you shouldn't worry about it!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
water! DS isn't allergic to milk, but it makes him really stuffy and can sometimes bother his tummy. so i skipped it altogether and he's never had more than a sip or two. milk is really just a fortified beverage and is not an actual nutritional requirement - it's a cultural thing unique to this country and other western European nations/former colonies. so long as your LO gets enough fluid somehow (through nursing or water) and is eating a well-balanced diet, you shouldn't worry about it!
true; except that most americans don't consume enough greeny veggies (Calcium) and don't get enough adquate sunlight (Vitamin D) to be able to cut out milk. Cows milk is the worse to drink, but it is the most common, costly, and quantity available out there.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
true; except that most americans don't consume enough greeny veggies (Calcium) and don't get enough adquate sunlight (Vitamin D) to be able to cut out milk. Cows milk is the worse to drink, but it is the most common, costly, and quantity available out there.
also true! i hide spinach in a lot of things, and we all take vitamin D supplements (4000 IU for me, 400 for DS). it is important to do that if you don't drink milk, or anything fortified with vit D and calcium.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
blackberry75
Registered Users

I don't have first hand experience, but my nieces had goat milk formula when they where babies and goat milk starting at a year. Around here it's kinda pricey and hard to find, but in other areas the cost is less/easier to find. I've read it's closer to human milk than cow and you can get it organic/hormone/steroid free as well. The formula is actually harder to find than fresh. My nieces did really well on that until the doc approved them for regular milk.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote