Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Re: Dairy allergies... what does your 1 year-old drink instead of milk?

My DD had no allergies - so, didn't think about it when she turned 1... And listened to the Ped. (and did cow milk).. I started to do research and boy did I find out tons of info..

Seriously the best milk option - is hemp milk... And it is SUPER easy to make yourself if you have a blender..

I talked with my Ped - and he even did research on it - and said he was going to switch to it...

My girl LOVES it... She would drink it all day long if we let her... But we do limit the amount she gets...
Basically - take hemp seeds (we ordered in bulk on nutsonline.com) And blend 1/4 cup hemp seeds to 3 cups water... If you make the mistake I did (and buy the ones with the shell).. You just have to strain it and blend a couple extra times... But - from what I read - the shells actually have tons of vitamins and that in them... And it does end up sometimes being a little more greyish in color....

Oh - you can change the amount of seeds per water - to make it thicker if that is how you want it.. The way we make it is a close consistency with 2% milk.. If that helps..

Feel free to email me if you have other questions..

Advertisement

Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
KnPsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our dd is dairy intolerant, not allergic but we basically went through all the options to see what she could tolerate and then went from there. She gets some soy (for the protein), some rice (because I'm soy sensitive and don't want her to get much) and some whole goat's milk because it's the best alternative that works for her but she can't tolerate too much of that a day and it's really expensive. One concern is that if you're using an alternative to dairy, you need to be careful that they're getting LOTS of healthy fat in their diet to compensate for healthy brain development. Especially before we discovered she could tolerate goat's milk, we were careful to make sure she got plenty of good oils, low mercury fish, avocado, etc.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara605 View Post
We do both soy and hemp milk. I am not crazy about using soy, so we only do about a glass a day. We get it free on WIC so that's why I use it. Hemp milk is a very healthy alternative to cow's milk. It is high is omega 3's and protein. I compared it to some of the other alternatives like rice, almond, and oat milk and it is a lot better (in my opinion).

My allergist and pediatrician just told me to use soy, but I made sure to do research and found there are other options out there. You may want to use a couple different things and see what you like. My DD luckily has not been picky and has accepted both the soy and hemp since we started then at 1 year. Hopefully if that's what you start with then he won't have trouble accepting them. Good luck! Dairy allergies are hard to deal with but if you research you can find lots of alternatives.
this exactly!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do rice milk. And occasionally coconut. But really he's not a big fan of either. Perhaps hemp would be worth trying. I just get nervous trying new things because of all his allergies. I would hate to have him react to something due to an unknown allergen!
NewbieSAHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Dramagal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 10 months old and dairy intolerant. I have been thinking about what would be a good choice for her when she turns 1. I worry that she will not get enough vitamins and calcium without cow's milk. I don't know anything about the alternatives to cow's milk and soy. Do the other choices (hemp, almond, goat's) have a comparable nutrients? Does anyone know a good website that I can do some research with?
Dramagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Well my dd still breastfeeds but I drink either soy, rice or almond milk. It all depends on what I feel like. Be careful with soy, it's been linked to early puberty in kids and it isn't great on your thyroid. I would vary the different supplements and make sure your LO is getting enough green leafy veggies and calcium fortified foods. Soy milk has comparible nutrients though, more so than rice or almond milk.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Here is one website on info on hemp milk:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hemp-milk.html
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

at one, my ds was only still nursing... he didnt regularly start drinking a milk sub (although he did occasionally) til about 2, when he started daycare. at first it was always soy milk. now, at 3, its soy, rice, coconut (in the carton, not the can) or almond milk, depending either on what he asks for, or if he doesnt have a preferance at the time, whats on sale, or what i have a coupon for

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #19
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breastmilk after a year, soy milk closer to age 2
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #20
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do rice milk but my son is also allergic to soy which eliminates soy milk for us.