Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy allergies... what does your 1 year-old drink instead of milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
water! DS isn't allergic to milk, but it makes him really stuffy and can sometimes bother his tummy. so i skipped it altogether and he's never had more than a sip or two. milk is really just a fortified beverage and is not an actual nutritional requirement - it's a cultural thing unique to this country and other western European nations/former colonies. so long as your LO gets enough fluid somehow (through nursing or water) and is eating a well-balanced diet, you shouldn't worry about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
true; except that most americans don't consume enough greeny veggies (Calcium) and don't get enough adquate sunlight (Vitamin D) to be able to cut out milk. Cows milk is the worse to drink, but it is the most common, costly, and quantity available out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
also true! i hide spinach in a lot of things, and we all take vitamin D supplements (4000 IU for me, 400 for DS). it is important to do that if you don't drink milk, or anything fortified with vit D and calcium.
We just do water, and my ds breastfed until I was 12 weeks pregnant, and he decided there wasn't anymore milk left! Now we use enriched rice milk on cereal, etc. But, he just drinks water. He is a good eater, and takes a multivitamin/D/calcium supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emhammer0506 View Post
My DD had no allergies - so, didn't think about it when she turned 1... And listened to the Ped. (and did cow milk).. I started to do research and boy did I find out tons of info..

Seriously the best milk option - is hemp milk... And it is SUPER easy to make yourself if you have a blender..

I talked with my Ped - and he even did research on it - and said he was going to switch to it...

My girl LOVES it... She would drink it all day long if we let her... But we do limit the amount she gets...
Basically - take hemp seeds (we ordered in bulk on nutsonline.com) And blend 1/4 cup hemp seeds to 3 cups water... If you make the mistake I did (and buy the ones with the shell).. You just have to strain it and blend a couple extra times... But - from what I read - the shells actually have tons of vitamins and that in them... And it does end up sometimes being a little more greyish in color....

Oh - you can change the amount of seeds per water - to make it thicker if that is how you want it.. The way we make it is a close consistency with 2% milk.. If that helps..

Feel free to email me if you have other questions..
Interesting! I may try making some hemp milk!

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #22
laur318
Registered Users
seller

my kiddo did best on hemp and we are going to switch back to it from almond. you can mix almond (sweet, close to breast milk) with hemp (slightly earthy) to get the right taste balance so your LO will drink it while getting the nutrients you want.
my son is even more sensitive to soy than cows.
Motherhood is the most important profession in the world.
laur318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
maddysmomma09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pm'd ya momma...but to those of you having issues and needing more fat I have 2 cases of vanill apeptimen JR left from DD...She too was allergic to milk and was weaned to it at 18 mo and is doing great! Her allergy was so severe that it caused 3rd degree erosions in her esophagus at 2 mos old! She was on heavy doses of PPI meds to control the reflux and heal the damage! At 18 mo she was okay to switch and is doing WONDERFUL but, she was on elecare from 2 mo-9 mo and then paptimen from 9 mo -14 mo then very vanilla silk from 14 mo-18mo! Whew! That was alot for all of us...at any rate I have the 2 unopened cases of peptimen not expiring until mid 2011! Asking 40 + shipping....(we paid 40 per case through insurance normally 200 per case if no insurance)! Thanks and good luck mommas!
maddysmomma09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #24
nhoines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have friends who use raw milk with success, goats milk, rice milk and we use almond milk. Do your research to figure out what is best for your child. Here are some links I found useful:

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html
http://www.suite101.com/content/alte...sources-a15861
nhoines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
dgrandmother
Registered Users

My Mood:

Almond milk is what my daughter uses
dgrandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did soy simply because it was easy to find and DS tolerated it great. If it is really a dairy allergy like in our case Lactaid will not be good to use because it is still dairy. We are just finishing up with the allergy and DS is 3 1/2. He got tested last month and we have taken it slow but he can now tolerate dairy.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #27
ellaluthien
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just something to consider, most soy, rice, almond and hemp milk have alot of added (not naturally occurring) sugar. Most brands also have a 'no sugar added' kind as well but you have to look for it. I guess some people might not care about the extra sugar but if your looking for a milk alternative for nutritional needs extra added sugar does not generally fall into that category . When my little girl was about 3 months old she was diagnosed with a wheat and diary intolerance, I went off those for a couple months (I was EBF) and when we went back and got tested she was no longer intolerant. I mostly did Almond milk as that was the most readily available.

Last edited by ellaluthien; 01-04-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: missing a word
ellaluthien is offline   Reply With Quote