Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tongue Tied..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
We didn't even have the option of doing it earlier, they just won't do it here prior to a year.
I'm not sure if you're near a major city, but docs telling you they won't do a simple frenotomy before a year is insane! That's when it's most crucial for some babies especially who are unable to move their tongue appropriately to nurse or even take a bottle well. I wonder if you could contact any well-regarded LCs in your area to ask who they refer out to.

Good luck!

Advertisement

musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i think it would depend. tongue tie runs pretty strongly in my family, my dad had it, i had it, my sister had it, and my son had it. all of us have been clipped except my sister. my dad i assumed they just did it because it was the 50's and that's what they did? but i don't really know, i've never asked. with me, mine was so bad i couldn't even get my tongue out of my mouth to suck on a bottle, and my son's wasn't THAT bad, but we were having a lot of trouble nursing. he was "chewing" instead of "sucking" ouch! and it all cleared up after he was clipped.

my sister though, was just fine. they noted it at birth. but hers wasn't bad, she nursed just fine (she was actually the only one of us my mom even tried to bf, and it was fine for the week or so she did it), and she never had any speech issues. so, it never got clipped. she's 19 yrs old now, and has never even noticed it. and fyi, it's really weird that they wouldn't do it before a year. really? i've never heard of a baby having it done that late. all the babies i know of had it done at birth. if it's not bothering them after a year, why on earth would they still do it?

so i would say, if there are problems, do it. but if she seems otherwise fine, why go through it? she's only 1 right? is she even talking enough for you to be able to tell that there's a problem? i personally wouldn't do it until i saw a problem. good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by Liadan23; 12-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
I'm not sure if you're near a major city, but docs telling you they won't do a simple frenotomy before a year is insane! That's when it's most crucial for some babies especially who are unable to move their tongue appropriately to nurse or even take a bottle well. I wonder if you could contact any well-regarded LCs in your area to ask who they refer out to.

Good luck!
I am near Pittsburgh.. like 45 minutes away. They can do it before a year, but they will only do it if it is causing issues with eating.. if they cant nurse/take a bottle or take solids/finger foods then they will clip it. But, if it isn't causing any issues, they won't do it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
i think it would depend. tongue tie runs pretty strongly in my family, my dad had it, i had it, my sister had it, and my son had it. all of us have been clipped except my sister. my dad i assumed they just did it because it was the 50's and that's what they did? but i don't really know, i've never asked. with me, mine was so bad i couldn't even get my tongue out of my mouth to suck on a bottle, and my son's wasn't THAT bad, but we were having a lot of trouble nursing. he was "chewing" instead of "sucking" ouch! and it all cleared up after he was clipped.

my sister though, was just fine. they noted it at birth. but hers wasn't bad, she nursed just fine (she was actually the only one of us my mom even tried to bf, and it was fine for the week or so she did it), and she never had any speech issues. so, it never got clipped. she's 19 yrs old now, and has never even noticed it. and fyi, it's really weird that they wouldn't do it before a year. really? i've never heard of a baby having it done that late. all the babies i know of had it done at birth. if it's not bothering them after a year, why on earth would they still do it?

so i would say, if there are problems, do it. but if she seems otherwise fine, why go through it? she's only 1 right? is she even talking enough for you to be able to tell that there's a problem? i personally wouldn't do it until i saw a problem. good luck with whatever you decide
The ENTs in my area only do it before a year if there is a noticeable problem.

She talks more than any 10 month old I've met lol but that might just be momma pride. The words that she says now are clear enough for me to understand as well as the rest of my family.

I have an appointment in like 3 weeks, so I just wanted to have my decision made before I go in.. I think.. I am just going to wait. If, down the line, she ends up having speech issues, then we can easily go and get it clipped, but otherwise.. she might be like your sister and not have any problems! I will just have to be proactive and watch her speech development and make sure she is on track and not developing a lisp or something.

ETA: what I think I failed to mention was that we already have seen an ENT two times.. When she was like 2 weeks old and when she was 6 months to check her progress on how she was eating solids. At the two week, he said that she was not severely tied and as long as she was eating fine and gaining weight correctly, there was no need to do it. Same thing at 6 months.

Last edited by Bethany89; 12-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Bethany89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

My 2.5yo just had his fixed a couple months ago. His was fairly severe and affecting his speech. He had no nursing problems at all but his speech was extremely hard to understand. They didn't just clip it like they do with newborns, they completely removed his frenulum so it hopefully wouldn't grow back. His tongue looked forked before the surgery because it was so tight and it looks normal now. The surgery was nerve wracking but really not bad at all. He woke up in recovery and saw his clothes at the end of the bed and decided to take his gown off and get dressed lol. He was a bit groggy and whiny for a day but nothing a popsicle couldn't cure

My 4yo (who has serious chronic health issues) has to have surgery next month and will be under general anesthesia for about an hour and half and I am really nervous about that. Really though tongue tie surgery is pretty fast and.simple, Charlie was only under general for 10 min.

Last edited by FernHollow; 12-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

If it isn't causing any trouble at all - not with eating or speaking - then I might not do it, personally. Esp with possible anesthesia issues.

The main issue is, as the PP mentioned, the risk is that if there IS a slight speech issue, it will worsen, and if you wait too long, there are some sounds the child will never learn to say properly.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just wait but I'd say keep a CLOSE CLOSE eye on it so that if somehow problems start appearing, you can do it RIGHT AWAY to avoid any long term issues.

I know an adult with a tongue tie. In Spanish, his speech sounds strange and messed up b/c the dialect he speaks of Spanish requires rolling the R and he can't roll his R's. But in English, you'd never know he had any tongue tie at all.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't unless it was causing problems. I am tongue tied. I talk just fine. I graduated top of my class in high school and college. I had a dentist talk to me once about getting it clipped. I was told that one of the risks was that clipping it too far could cause me to have to re-learn how to talk and say all the sounds of the English language. It really scared me, and it wasn't necessary, so I didn't have it done. I think that general is a little much. I was told it could be done under local when they took out my wisdom teeth. In reference to the rolling of the r's in Spanish. I took A LOT of Spanish and always got counted off because I couldn't roll my R's. I always thought that was unfair..lol.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't even roll my Rs lol and Im not tongue tied. I speak French close to fluently, but the r sound in french I can't figure out either lol. Oh well.

Thanks ladies for making me feel better I will keep a close eye on her speech. I definitely don't want her to have any speech problems, but if she develops fine, why mess with it.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

we clipped at a month old due to feeding issues. I fought clipping at 2 days old. Actually as a one month old the ENT clipped in the office no meds and DS nursed immediately which calmed him and stopped the bleeding it took 5 minutes tops
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
We didn't even have the option of doing it earlier, they just won't do it here prior to a year.
I think the biggest thing that is stopping me is the going under general. I have really hard time coming out. I was just put out recently for a biospy and spent 4 hours in recovery throwing up, my BP dropped super low.. it was really bad and I worry about her. Part of me just doesn't want to do it if she has no problems.
My doctor's son is tongue tied and never had any problem talking at all.
It doesn't seem like my DD's is severe.. she can stick her tongue out and everything.
Ugh.. just.. decisions lol.. As far as speech goes.. She is 10 months and says "byebye" "dada" "bubba" "yeah" and a few other things, so I don't know what to think. she definitely isn't behind as far as speech goes..

Thank you for sharing your experience!
I have a very bad reaction to morphine that sounds very similar to your reaction. If I were you and have any more up coming procedures that require GA I would pull your medical records so the anesthesiologist knows what was used and can come up with a better drug mix for you. They may be able to cut down or totally cut out your side effects by changing the drugs used in surgery and after surgery. I figured out right away what caused my reaction after my laparotomy so when I had to go in for a planned C-section I discussed my past reaction with my ob and again with the anesthesiologist and I had zero problems because they tailored their treatment to my needs instead of starting from square one. If they don't know your history they will give you what they give everyone else and obviously that doesn't work for you. I recovered much more quickly from the c-section despite the fact the incision was much larger. Avoiding morphine totally made a difference in my recovery. Really everyone needs to take control of their medical care. A doctor can't make a good decision if you don't give them all the information they need.

My son is special needs and has gone under general many times and his reactions are totally different from mine. He has no physical side effects but he does come out hysterical but I would like everyone to note he has a major neurological abnormality and serious fear of white coats because of all his past painful medical procedures he has had so I really contribute it more to to the above issues then his inherited tendency from me which I haven't noticed at all. He actually handles morphine like a champ while I would be either unresponsive and unable to rouse or doubled up and convulsively vomiting.

As far as your original question I would wait if in your shoes. If it isn't causing problems then I wouldn't do it but if there is any indication what so ever of it causing problems I would do it right away and not wait for a specific age. My son had his done at 7 months under GA as out patient it was really quick and he really didn't need much other then one dose of OTC Tylenol during recovery and we went back to life as usual within hours there wasn't a real recovery period at all.

I will admit as my son is a special needs kiddo my skin is a lot thicker when it comes to dealing with medical issues (I have done things that would make even some grown men pass out) but I honestly don't see how this would be a scary procedure at all. It is very straightforward and would require a severely incompetent doctor to screw it up.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote