Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Re: Tongue Tied..

If it's not causing problems, I definitely wouldn't do it. I had my son's clipped at two weeks (my midwife did it in-office), because nursing was KILLING me. But, if things had been fine, I wouldn't have done it. Good luck with your decision. With your history of anesthesia I would definitely worry about that.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had mine fixed as an adult. I couldn't stick my tongue out past my lips so I'm pretty happy with the ability to finally lick the spaghetti sauce off the corner of my mouth. It very lightly affected my speech but it was a quality of life thing for me - I wanted to be able to do things that other people could do.

My son could get his tongue to his lip and that was about it. If it's not affecting her too much now you can wait - I had mine done in the dentist office under regular numbing agents (...errr...I was awake...brain fart) quick clip and a couple of stitches. I think most offices are probably using laser or what-have-ya. I think the age for that is 4-5.

And I have a hard time waking up from anethesia but my son was a champ (like my husband) and after he was awake (and not floppy) he was AWAKE.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I have problems with anesthesia as well. It takes me a long time to come out and hours/days before I'm no longer nauseous. In your daughters case I probably wouldn't do the surgery. I would wait, even if it does cause a speech delay it's better for their bodies to be under general anesthesia when they are older.

My good friend is tongue tied. She can't even stick her tongue out past her teeth at all. She never had any problems. So there is hope.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older Nephew had his Tongue clipped when he was a day or two old. It interfered with him learning how to Breast feed and how to take a bottle. He didn't ever get to where he'd Breast feed and it too a little while for him to learn to eat from the bottle. Recovery wasn't a problem for him at all.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, cam you send me a pic? I deal wtih tongue ties often and they are easy to fix. no surgery or meds to be put under needed...

if there is no reason for it, DO NOT do it. if its causing a speech issue, then do it. but don't do it like your dr advised- thats insane. sometimes the smallest nip is all it needs to kind of tear on its own. like an episiotomy. it will keep ripping when its used afte a small cut. you can see lots of the tongue clippings on youtube.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
mama, cam you send me a pic? I deal wtih tongue ties often and they are easy to fix. no surgery or meds to be put under needed...

if there is no reason for it, DO NOT do it. if its causing a speech issue, then do it. but don't do it like your dr advised- thats insane. sometimes the smallest nip is all it needs to kind of tear on its own. like an episiotomy. it will keep ripping when its used afte a small cut. you can see lots of the tongue clippings on youtube.
I can try lol.. She doesn't like to open her mouth at all for anything.. but I can try!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #27
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
If it isn't causing any trouble at all - not with eating or speaking - then I might not do it, personally. Esp with possible anesthesia issues.
I agree with this. Some people never suffer any ill effects from it, and it sounds like your DD is not having any issues currently. I'm not sure the benefits would outweigh the risks at this time. But I would definitely keep a close eye on things, as the above poster mentioned.

My youngest child was born tongue-tied and I agonized over whether or not to clip it. The ENT we saw said it was pretty severe. The decision was really made for us when nursing became a nightmare and he wasn't gaining any weight. It was done when he was 3 weeks old in the ENT's office. There were no stitches or anything, and he only cried when they put the clamp on his frenulum. It was over in less than 90 seconds. When they gave him back to me, he was alert and latched on right away. He never acted fussy or anything afterwards.

I can't believe they put newborns under general for that where you live! I'm a big advocate of pain control and avoiding unnecessary procedures, but after watching this one close-up that seems like serious overkill.
sarchamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
chrissyb0411
Registered Users

I feel your pain. My DS is 8 weeks and we are going to the ENT on the 20th to get an opinion on his tongue tie.His pediatrician thinks we should get it clipped but he is nursing pretty good (he clamps sometimes instead of sucking but I can deal) and is gaining weight well. He can stick his tongue out past his lips and makes a lot of baby noises (like goo and oh and ah). His tongue is forked at certain times, like when he's trying to stick it our far. I'm so torn over whether or not to get it clipped. I'm hoping the ENT will say its not too bad and doesn't need to be clipped unless future problems. I am a worrier too so I know its hard. I'm leaning towards just waiting to see how he does when he starts solids and then if thats ok, wait and see how he talks. I wish the best for both our little sweeties.
Not sure if this can help, but I've been sticking my tongue out at him all the time ever since we found out he was tongue tied so he copies me. He sticks his tongue out a lot now so here's to hoping it will help! lol
chrissyb0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #29
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Whoa old thread of mine! Lol we got it clipped a month ago and it went great!