Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD - nurse issue

So this morning I went up to drop off more breastmilk and check in on baby since I couldnt stay ( ds had his school play this morning) and Lillian had to ahve 2 partial tube feedings lastnight - she hadnt ALL day and had been doing great , well her 5 am was a full tube feeding which is REALLY odd to me , considering she LOVES to start eating. We have a serious gut feeling the nurse just didnt wake her up or feel like waking her up all the way for it. I couldnt find out since she was no longer on shift , however I plan on flat out asking her wtf happened and IF it comes back she didnt wake her up or depending on her attitude when I talk to her I'm going to FLIP - she was doing great the past several nights , gets this new nurse and oh look she doesnt wanna eat? Sounds off to me considering she took her 8 am just fine no tube for the day nurse.

As it sits I'm thinking about asking for someone else tonight just because I didnt like her attitude to start with she was rather rude when I came in lastnight , and just NOT compatable personality wise and I really feel that with the kind of relationship we have to have with the nurses right now we need to be compatable. Am I totally in the wrong on this one?

I mean I get that they had a long night lastnight and had a rough new admit and she had to take an extra baby because of it but really - DO YOUR JOB ...

Advertisement

mommyof3monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WWYD - nurse issue

Before you get too heated, wait and ask what happened. IDK the situation with your baby, but the most critical babies, perhaps needed all hands on deck, just like you want if your baby was in danger. I DO understand its a big deal, but wait until you find out why. It could have been a situation that was out of her hands, and you know yourself, babies change things up, so perhaps baby WAS too tired, and busy growing. HUGS.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She was asleep , and after talking to the nurse she had during the day the only thing her nurse from the 5am feed had said was " well she was awake for a while between her 2 and 5 , a little more than they said she had beens o I figured I would just let her sleep" didnt even TRY to wake her up , I talked to the resident lastnight as well and apparently she was suposed to put that in the chart( same nurse wasnt there lastnight thankfully) but NEVER did , and funny enough baby did really well feeding for her 8 and 11 am , her 2pm she did have to have in the tube because she was up at 12:30 and went back to sleep at 1:45 and jstu did NOT wanna wake up I"m ok with that but seriously she didnt even TRY I was like uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh .... BUT after a long talk with the resident - we got thigns worked out a bit for her feedings since she is gaining again and when she takes the bottle feed she takes atleast 2- 5 ML MORE than than required no vomitting no other issues so they will let her have more than 30 mins to eat and start letting her take more of the lead .... thank god for the kickbutt resident!
mommyof3monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My advice is to always avoid jumping to conclusions, and give them a chance to explain themselves. Our teen foster kid is working on managing his schedule and getting up on his own (work in progress). Well a couple of days ago I was getting so annoyed and frustrated that he was sleeping in so late. I decided to wait and see just how late he would sleep in. He came strolling out of his room at 12:30... yes after noon. I kept seething all morning and thinking of just what I could say to chew him out. We had just talked about his morning routine not 3 days before and he had been doing better.

So I calmly sat down with him and made a little comment about it casually. He responded by explaining it was a holiday and that was how he was celebrating... he also says he woke up earlier and spent the time contemplating his beliefs. Well with a religious exemption I couldn't stay mad at him. I'm glad I asked his perspective before chewing him out.

As a foster kid he has the freedom to practice any religion he chooses. He is wiccan and feels very strongly in his mother-earth beliefs. It was the winter solstice which is a very special holiday and he had been talking about it for weeks - he wasn't just making it up.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
sarahelaine57
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3monsters View Post
So this morning I went up to drop off more breastmilk and check in on baby since I couldnt stay ( ds had his school play this morning) and Lillian had to ahve 2 partial tube feedings lastnight - she hadnt ALL day and had been doing great , well her 5 am was a full tube feeding which is REALLY odd to me , considering she LOVES to start eating. We have a serious gut feeling the nurse just didnt wake her up or feel like waking her up all the way for it. I couldnt find out since she was no longer on shift , however I plan on flat out asking her wtf happened and IF it comes back she didnt wake her up or depending on her attitude when I talk to her I'm going to FLIP - she was doing great the past several nights , gets this new nurse and oh look she doesnt wanna eat? Sounds off to me considering she took her 8 am just fine no tube for the day nurse.

As it sits I'm thinking about asking for someone else tonight just because I didnt like her attitude to start with she was rather rude when I came in lastnight , and just NOT compatable personality wise and I really feel that with the kind of relationship we have to have with the nurses right now we need to be compatable. Am I totally in the wrong on this one?

I mean I get that they had a long night lastnight and had a rough new admit and she had to take an extra baby because of it but really - DO YOUR JOB ...

For sure ask the nurse but also ask to talk with the nurse manager, we had MAJOR issues with one night nurse who I swear was not even trying to get my smaller twin girl to eat...she ended up getting fired and I wish I had said something ealier than I did because I wonder if it held her up from coming home! Big hugs to you and talk to someone, even if it is just to clear it up and find out what happened...its so hard when someone else takes care of your baby but just keep reminding yourself there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon she will be home with you!
sarahelaine57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
sarahelaine57
Registered Users

oh and dont be afraid to ask for a different nurse, sometimes it makes a world of difference!
sarahelaine57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
destinycb1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds exactly what I went through when my son was an NICU. He had to stay an extra three weeks because the night nurse would just walk in and say oh he's to tired and NG him without even trying to feed him and he couldn't start the process of getting ready to go home until every feeding was by mouth. It was the same nurse everytime! You are your child's biggest advocate. Express your concerns and hopefully things will get fixed.
destinycb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Just wow. As a pediatric ICU and neonatal ICU nurse....wow. We work REALLY hard and we work for 12 1/2 hours at a time. Wow. Your baby is safe, alive, and sounds like doing REALLY well. Wow. It's really hard to take care of kids whose parents think they can be a better nurse than you can.

Flame away, but that's how it is. ONE FEED??? And if you really want to know how things are at night- then be there. I know you have other kids, but if you arent' there, there has to be SOME element of trust. It's also your perrogative to ask for a different nurse. I'm sure if you are THAT upset at her over one feed, she won't mind. I'm sorry things aren't perfect, but you have a wonderful blessing that'll be home soon.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mirasmom; 12-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3monsters View Post
The response I had here was too snarky and I apologize.
What I was saying though was that if they had a new admit and were really busy, if YOU were that admit you would expect them to spend MORE time with YOUR child to make sure she were safe and ok. If that meant giving a child ONE tube feed, so be it. I'm sure you would expect the same treatment. Fact is- you don't know what happened.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mirasmom; 12-25-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from my mothers POV i understand why you are upset but i would definitely look into the sit more before getting so upset. i hope that everything turns out alright mama