Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #31
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Similac ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
That doesn't mean that we should lie down and take it. Just because the gov't is owned by their wallets doesn't mean we should all be
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this site has ever taken some kind of pledge to uphold the WHO code, in which case the fact that formula advertising violates the code is neither here nor there.

Advertisement

musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #32
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If your so concerned about the ads and what they do and don't violate, why don't you become a site supporter and they will all be gone

I agree. Can't believe this is being complained about
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please check out the code http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...edirected=true

The US refuses to accept the code for monetary reasons but there are a LOT of people who chose to keep their advertising within it because it is best for mama and baby alike.

The pp who said they would rather see hospitals not give out formula samples - that doesn't happen in hospitals that follow the code. In some countries you can only get formula by prescription- you don't have to worry about your care giver ignoring your wishes.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Please check out the code http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...edirected=true

The US refuses to accept the code for monetary reasons but there are a LOT of people who chose to keep their advertising within it because it is best for mama and baby alike.

The pp who said they would rather see hospitals not give out formula samples - that doesn't happen in hospitals that follow the code. In some countries you can only get formula by prescription- you don't have to worry about your care giver ignoring your wishes.

Cacasey1981: from what I'm reading, we are both very passionate as far as formula and breastfeeding and wanting the best for baby. Like you I am bugged by formula companies and their promotions but often, for my own sake, I have to look away. Instead I am turning around from the negative and focus on the positive. I focus on helping and supporting mamas who want to breastfeed and raise awareness in my community. It's not easy to look away but otherwise I would be always fighting.

And of course it's about money. Everything is about money.
There are many hospitals in the US who don't give out formula samples anymore...

ETA: The mods here often stress that Diaperswapper is not pro/contra bf or ff, pro/contra vax, pro/contra babywearing. This site is for parents of all backgrounds. Not just crunchy. Or mainstream. It's a cloth diapering community.

Last edited by Skittle; 12-26-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #35
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have have breastfed my ds for 2 years come January 3rd, and I think I threw up just a little in my mouth at the rudeness and single mindedness of some of these post. Breastfeeding is not for everyone. This is not a breast feeding board. Become a site supporter if you do not want to see the ads. I for one just ignore them!An online ad is not going to make me run out and buy something or change my mind about an important choice that I feel is the best for my family, but it may help someone else who it might be best for.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
I have have breastfed my ds for 2 years come January 3rd, and I think I threw up just a little in my mouth at the rudeness and single mindedness of some of these post. Breastfeeding is not for everyone. This is not a breast feeding board. Become a site supporter if you do not want to see the ads. I for one just ignore them!An online ad is not going to make me run out and buy something or change my mind about an important choice that I feel is the best for my family, but it may help someone else who it might be best for.
Seriously? I think this thread is VERY peaceful and nice compared to some other ones. I have no idea who you have in mind, but no one here has been rude so far. Or maybe I need to re-read everything
Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #37
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I really don't like the similac ads either.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #38
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
Seriously? I think this thread is VERY peaceful and nice compared to some other ones. I have no idea who you have in mind, but no one here has been rude so far. Or maybe I need to re-read everything
No you are right, I think I worded it too harshly. I do not normally read the ff vs. bf threads, but I can imagine how nasty they can get.
I just read the op post and it really took me by surprise as this is a diapering site. Then some of the other post just irritated me on the single mindedness of it. But really I was the only one that was rude

I just feel bad for the mommas that are not as crunchy as others and are put down for their choices(or lack of )
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #39
Evi_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What bothers me is the samples and info i receive in the mail from similac and emfamil...Why? I don't know... and the worst thing is that in their booklets it says something like " let all family members bond with a baby by bottlefeeding" and comparsion chart of how often and how many times a day you have to FFeed vs BFeed " babies on formula tend to eat every 3 hours vs 2 or less hrs at the breast"
that bothers me a lot! imagine a mama that was fighting for successful BFing and might be somewhat depressed reading that? or someone who can't decide between how to feed their baby?
Oh and some of my friends that had a baby at the different hospital than me were told that baby HAS TO have some formula because colostrum is not enough. And that "special" formula has to be given to the baby since its full of vitamins etc...That bothers me even more!
So i think these ads are nothing compared to some of the non bfing friendly hospitals etc...
Evi_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote