Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
kat1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/O What comments have strangers said to your kids in public?

We were in the store part of Cracker Barrel recently and DD had picked up one of the singing toys. I told her to put it back. A man said something along the lines of "but it's so cute and might be on sale" I looked right at him and asked if he planned on buying it for her? Because I'd told her to put it back. He very quickly said no and walked away. My husband told me I was acting like my mom. LOL

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O What comments have strangers said to your kids in public?

I think it's mostly the bad comments that stick out, KWIM? I have been told how much my kids all look alike. But then I've been asked if they all have the same dad. The older 2 are blonde with blue eyes and the LO has auburn hair and brown eyes and dh's darker skin tone. But the facial features look very much the same. I was outright accused of abusing my kids when my ds had a broken leg. I've been accused of not feeding my kids because they are so thin. With my oldest dd she was born premature w/IUGR so she was really small, and she stayed really thin for a long time, even though she was BF on demand. One mom asked me why I wasn't feeding her, and I'd had enough so I told her she was on a low carb diet because she was going to be a model.

I had another incident at the parking lot of a baby store. We'd bought my dd a new carseat, and we decided to install it in the lot to make sure it fit OK before we drove off. So we put her rear facing car seat in the front seat while we were installing the other, and this mom comes up to me and tells me that we can't put a rear facing car seat in the front seat. Yeah, thanks, do you not see the huge BRITAX MARATHON box next to the car?

I had this old lady come up to me when I was nursing my dd in the mall to helpfully tell me that if I wasn't using a blanket that no one could tell I was nursing. Like I care if people know I'm nursing my baby.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

As if kids need another person encouraging them to want more toys from stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
One mom asked me why I wasn't feeding her, and I'd had enough so I told her she was on a low carb diet because she was going to be a model.

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
shrijnana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is going to be an amusing thread...

Once in Walmart (always Walmart...) DD was sitting in a display chair in the center of an aisle and I was pushing DS in the cart next to her. I was sitting close enough so I could reach out and touch her. A woman walked by and said to the man with her, "Oh look at that poor little girl sitting there all by herself." I was RIGHT THERE.

Someone also asked me if DD had AIDS. I was pretty new to parenting then and hadn't perfected my snappy comebacks so I just stared at her completely incredulous.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

An old man in the grocery told my DS "You're a very handsome young man! I'm sure you'll have lots of baby-mamas" I will never forget that. I was like... "thankyou..?"
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I haven't been awake long enough to think well this am, but what comes to mind is my daughter's size & weight. She started off life huge, but slowly slid to the very bottom of the growth charts. She's 3 but can wear 12 bottoms if not for the length. So I get, "feed her sumthin!" Or if we're eating, "wow she does eat!" Yes, like a horse. I'm jealous of her metabolism actually.

Or the ever popular, "are they twins?" But that's not offensive, just funny since he's 23 months and she is 15 months older. In the public's defense though, he's only 2 inches shorter and 5lbs heavier. But he's not a big talker (just recently started picking up words) so I'm sure people wonder why the big one doesn't speak.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket
An old man in the grocery told my DS "You're a very handsome young man! I'm sure you'll have lots of baby-mamas" I will never forget that. I was like... "thankyou..?"
I don't know whether to or
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

I was in the quiet room at church and this woman started telling me I should put my daughter down already and stop torturing her because you can tell which children have been tortured. And wasn't this like my third kid I should be "over it" by now. (I only have one child, by the way.)
CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get comments (and stares) alllllll the time about my twins. Mostly its if they're identical (they're a boy and a girl, they have different plumbing). One time, (at walmart of course, lol) a cashier asked if they were twins, I said yes, then he asked if they were both mine

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I have three daughters and I'm PROUD to have three daughters. I love having all girls. I'm sure I would love a son just as much but when my last child was born and we knew she was a girl for sure, I was ecstatic. When I take them somewhere I ALWAYS hear the comments, "wow, you sure have your hands full! All girls huh? Going to try for that boy?" Ummmm, no. My sex life is none of your concern thankyouverymuch. And why might my family be incomplete for lack of a boy? My girls are more than good enough.