Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #91
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
And Medicaid would never pay for an elective tonsillectomy...

And yes, in my case, DFS's mother chose to have Indiana medicaid pay for his circumcision. And at 18 months old, Indiana medicaid had to pay for an invasive revision, which involved putting him under general anesthesia with a pediatric urologist, where his breathing was compromised and stopped several times due to his asthma, and he had significant complications during the surgery done at a highly regarded children's hospital performed by very skilled surgeon and anesthesiologist. In our case, if medicaid hadn't paid for the circ, it never would have gotten done since bio-mom and bio-dad didn't even have enough money for diapers and he was taken by the system 5 days out of the nicu.

This is one of the stories that should be mandatory reading before anyone chooses to do this to their defenseless child.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #92
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was thrilled to hear this!! why on earth do we tax payers pay for this rediculous cosmetic surgery?? anyone want to give me a free tummy tuck?
now I hope all the other states follow suit to save the US millions of dollars...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #93
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
IVF is NOT paid for by insurance in most cases, people have to PAY FOR IT THEMSELVES.

I go to the chiropractor weekly and I PAY FOR IT MYSELF because my insurance doesn't cover it.

Cancer treatment is NECESSARY to keep people from dying. Circumcision CAUSES death.

Circumcision isn't just morally wrong, it's physically unnecessary. It is taking a healthy body part away from a baby boy for NO reason. It is NOT your penis, so leave it alone!
I was offered chiropractor via Tricare so I'm not sure why your insurance if it is military will not cover it in less you choose vs. your doc. choose. I don't believe in it so I choose not to. I find it depends on if the doctor is willing to make the referral or not. So, you may want to check with a different doc as they do offer the service (maybe it is only at specific bases).

We were offered a variety of infertility treatments at minimal costs (I guess minimal is relative but it was very reasonable) especially what we paid via adoption.

As parents, we make medical decisions for our children for a variety of reasons. So, if we & his birthfamily as his parents choose to do it, then it is our choice. It is a medical procedure and should be covered if a doctor is providing the service. Who decides what is morally wrong? That's a bit extreme to say something one person chooses is morally wrong vs. another. Culturally it was appropriate for us to do it. We looked into it, made a very informed choice, his birthfather was present for the procedure (we were not the legal parents at the time) and it was the right choice for our family. I am not understanding why people what choices and support for their choices but cannot support others in their choices. I have a healthy happy child - I can't imagine he's going to spend much time worrying about it.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #94
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
It is a medical procedure and should be covered if a doctor is providing the service. Who decides what is morally wrong? That's a bit extreme to say something one person chooses is morally wrong vs. another. Culturally it was appropriate for us to do it.
So are you saying that Medicaid should cover any procedure performed by a doctor? In that case, they would be paying for abortions, breast augmentations, and many other elective surgeries.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #95
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:

Thank you for that, I was just going to say something to the same effect.

And I sure hope your poor little boy doesn't get made fun of in the locker room, you know that circ is only 33% in the US and rapidly dropping...he's going to look DIFFERENT!

Awesome post.
Actually, given our culture he'd be made fun of if he didn't have it done!!! Maybe where you live its a low % but where we live its very common and in our culture its considered appropriate.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #96
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Actually, given our culture he'd be made fun of if he didn't have it done!!! Maybe where you live its a low % but where we live its very common and in our culture its considered appropriate.
Sorry, that is dumb. The locker room comment is moot, as kids do not shower in the locker room at school anymore and every man I have talked to says there is not way any guy would be caught dead even *looking* at a peer's weiner.

Plus, if my sons get made fun of, so be it. I am sure there is something else they will get made fun of for, as kids always find something to pick on each other about. I thought this way though when I was preggo with my 1st. Thank goodness she was a girl, b/c I had already signed for the circ (which ironically, my Blue Cross did NOT pay for- it would have been $250 OOP- and this was 10 yrs ago).

PCJS, I think you are missing the point. Circ IS cosmetic surgery. It honestly does not matter whether anyone finds it morally wrong or not, Medicaid and insurances should not foot the bill plain and simple b/c it is an optional, rarely needed surgery. You still have the right to do it, just on your own dime. Just like other cosmetic surgeries, like a boob job. Actually, your reasoning of being picked on and culturally appropriate makes it a lot like a boob job. I got made fun of for my itty-bitty... boobs in middle school. It sucked. And, unlike a p3nis, I couldn't hide my chest from those hurtful comments. A boob job would have boosted my self-esteem, helped me socially, and made shirts look better on me. But, culturally, it is inappropriate for a minor to even decide for themselves to have a boob job done. Once I turned 18, I had the CHOICE to do it or not, and pay out of pocket if I wanted it done. Lots of women do get them- my MIL and SIL did. I have no issue with that. They found that they preferred bigger boobs. Fine. But would it have been ok for someone to FORCE that surgery on them just b/c there are cultural benefits to having bigger boobs? Of course not.

Plus, the #'s are indeed decreasing on circs and have been on a slow but steady decline for awhile now. And you never know where your son will live when he grows up- what if he moves to a state where circ #'s are low and he is then the minority? I understand people's thinking on the cultural part of circ, as I once thought that way. But it is the most ignorant of all arguments, IMO.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #97
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yep, with today's circ rate in the US, circumcised boys are in the minority. Who's making fun of who now?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #98
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Uh, no. Did I say that circ in Georgia was 33% ?...no, it is nationwide. And if the decline keeps going like it is, the rate of circumcision will drop to only 2% in only TEN YEARS!

It is also culturally appropriate in some parts of Africa to cut off the clitoris and labia of young girls with no anesthesia and a dirty knife, and then sew up what is left to a tiny hole.

Just sayin.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #99
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
Sorry, that is dumb. The locker room comment is moot, as kids do not shower in the locker room at school anymore and every man I have talked to says there is not way any guy would be caught dead even *looking* at a peer's weiner.

Plus, if my sons get made fun of, so be it. I am sure there is something else they will get made fun of for, as kids always find something to pick on each other about. I thought this way though when I was preggo with my 1st. Thank goodness she was a girl, b/c I had already signed for the circ (which ironically, my Blue Cross did NOT pay for- it would have been $250 OOP- and this was 10 yrs ago).

PCJS, I think you are missing the point. Circ IS cosmetic surgery. It honestly does not matter whether anyone finds it morally wrong or not, Medicaid and insurances should not foot the bill plain and simple b/c it is an optional, rarely needed surgery. You still have the right to do it, just on your own dime. Just like other cosmetic surgeries, like a boob job. Actually, your reasoning of being picked on and culturally appropriate makes it a lot like a boob job. I got made fun of for my itty-bitty... boobs in middle school. It sucked. And, unlike a p3nis, I couldn't hide my chest from those hurtful comments. A boob job would have boosted my self-esteem, helped me socially, and made shirts look better on me. But, culturally, it is inappropriate for a minor to even decide for themselves to have a boob job done. Once I turned 18, I had the CHOICE to do it or not, and pay out of pocket if I wanted it done. Lots of women do get them- my MIL and SIL did. I have no issue with that. They found that they preferred bigger boobs. Fine. But would it have been ok for someone to FORCE that surgery on them just b/c there are cultural benefits to having bigger boobs? Of course not.

Plus, the #'s are indeed decreasing on circs and have been on a slow but steady decline for awhile now. And you never know where your son will live when he grows up- what if he moves to a state where circ #'s are low and he is then the minority? I understand people's thinking on the cultural part of circ, as I once thought that way. But it is the most ignorant of all arguments, IMO.
But, why are circ. rates going down. If everyone is saying insurance isn't paying for them, could it also be a financial issue? I personally don't care what choices people make as I have repeatedly said, my issue is like you are sitting in your personal example, someone else imposing their personal values on someone else and making those moral judgements vs. supporting personal choices.

If there are valid reasons, like you are citing as an example. One needs a breast implants or a reduction for self-esteem reasons - sure it is "technically" an elective/cosmetic surgery, but if it has other long term/positive impacts on that person's health/mental health and overall well-being then I support insurance paying for it (as long as it can be reasonably documented).

I just find it interesting that on this board, my only point is and has been that the only opinion respected are those who take the strongest stand and any minority opinion whose practices may be done for personal, cultural, or religious that are not their practices are wrong. What is ashame is this should be an open group to help each other and by taking such strong stands with not allowing people to make their own choices best for their children you not only don't get any diversity, which is clearly what is wanted but you can't take the time to learn from each other to help you become better parents as I hope you realize that your inflexibility of not being able to see someone else's view point passes on to your children and that is how hate is formed.

Bottomline is everyone needs to make choices based on their child's best interests as parents. Its no different from breastfeeding, piercing our daughter's ears (that can be considered the same thing as you are putting holes in her body and mutilating her) formula feeding, down to cloth diapering...the main thing that brings us all together. But, anyone with a differing opinion here is often scared to speak up because you all go on a bashing session saying someone else is wrong when they are not wrong - just differing views because of different values, cultural practices, religions, etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #100
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Uh, no. Did I say that circ in Georgia was 33% ?...no, it is nationwide. And if the decline keeps going like it is, the rate of circumcision will drop to only 2% in only TEN YEARS!

It is also culturally appropriate in some parts of Africa to cut off the clitoris and labia of young girls with no anesthesia and a dirty knife, and then sew up what is left to a tiny hole.

Just sayin.
And, isn't GA a heavily Christian population with very few Jew's and other minorities? Couldn't that be a reason too?