Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #151
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Our hospital billed us seperately for a Circumsion. The funny part is DS is intact, but somehow we still got billed for one . Our insurance did not cover it, so we got a bill. It is funny we got billed for one, since no one blinked an eye when we said no at the hospital. It is not super common in our area. The majority of the kids I know who are circed are the oldest children of people who later changed their minds and did not circ their younger kids.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #152
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder how long this will take to spread to all 50 states...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #153
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462 View Post
While i find this totally true for conventional insurance - what Medicaid will/will not cover is VERY clearly presented around here. I think hospitals will quickly start informing Medicaid patients that they CAN have a circumcision but that THEY will have to pay for it. I highly doubt the hospital will be so lax about this.... it's pretty blanket that Medicaid covers 100% of everything (at least here it does) and so when something ISN'T covered it is told, written, and posted wherever applicable. But then again i could totally be wrong and they could drop the ball entirely....
This is generally true because Medicaid has 2 issues that most hospitals are trying to avoid.

1.) Medicaid pays like crap. It may seem like they pay 100% because you don't get a bill, but many state Medicaids pay less than 20 cents on the dollar to reimburse docs and hospitals for services provided to a Medicaid recipient. It is a big time money-loser for most providers (just one of many reasons why some people do not accept Medicaid).

2.) If a doc/hospital is contracted with Medicaid, they absolutely cannot bill you for anything that they did not advise you in advance would be a cost to you. Since #1 above is true, most hospitals now teach their staff about certain procedures that happen often but are not paid for by Medicaid (if you are getting paid so little in the first place, you are looking for every possible way to plug holes and lose less money). That way the staff know to tell you up front that having X procedure will cost you X dollars.

And still, I can tell you that many circs still happen for Medicaid patients and the hospitals eat it or write it off to bad debt (and get a tax break for it).
Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #154
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
That is just weird to me. DFS is Medicaid, and no one has ever told us anything wasn't covered for him except once at a pharmacy. He's been hospitalized 11 times. DCS just gets the bills later!
In most states, writing off unpaid bills for Foster kids is a form of charity care. The hospital generally gets a tax break for doing that. No hospital I have worked at has ever gone after foster parents for unpaid bills on a foster child.

In some states, DCS pays some of the unpaid bill, but to me that is no different than Medicaid. It is still taxpayer funds, but it makes hospitals bill to another source to get that money (which costs more actually).
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #155
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
Looks like the topic has changed, but I was excited to see this...as I actually live in SC and my nephew was born on medicaid...sad to think that he might not be circed if this had passed just a year sooner.

When my babies were born earlier this year the nurse at the hospital had never had anyone refuse a circ and had no idea what to do when we wouldn't agree to it or sign the consent form.
Presumably she was stumped on protocol. Nurses are taught to follow rules and when a situation comes up where there isn't one, it tends to stump them. Not because they can't think for themselves or anything crazy like that, but you can get into real trouble if you don't practice within the nursing guidelines of your state and your hospital.

The hospital probably didn't have a protocol for declining circumcisions.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #156
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
In most states, writing off unpaid bills for Foster kids is a form of charity care. The hospital generally gets a tax break for doing that. No hospital I have worked at has ever gone after foster parents for unpaid bills on a foster child.

In some states, DCS pays some of the unpaid bill, but to me that is no different than Medicaid. It is still taxpayer funds, but it makes hospitals bill to another source to get that money (which costs more actually).
Depending on the situation child welfare (and state and money) may also private pay for services - when I worked foster care, we could make requests for services/medical stuff, etc. if we thought it was appropriate and if it was reasonable/funding, or absolutely necessary and Medicaid would not pay they would generally find a way to pay for it... especially for psychological and psycho-educational evaluations to get the kids better school placements and other stuff. They also paid for dental and vision stuff when it we couldn't find providers, etc. as that was always a nightmare. (not sure what they are doing now but that was in better financial times too).

Foster parents have never had to pay for anything medical in less they choose to put them on their private insurance and NOT use medicaid which I know a few who did who planned/adopted the children as they wanted better care. (yes, you can put foster kids on your medical with a court order within 30 days - if it expires you just get it reissued - I had to do that once for a family - no biggie giving them medical guardianship or what ever terms the insurance needed).
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #157
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
Kind of a tanget here, but DCS sometimes gets paid back by charging biological parents as well, so it isn't always taxpayers paying for medical bills.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #158
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

It isn't covered in California either. Yet, my sister (who is on food stamps and cash aid as well) managed to gather the funds to pay for it herself!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #159
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiSapphireJade View Post
It isn't covered in California either. Yet, my sister (who is on food stamps and cash aid as well) managed to gather the funds to pay for it herself!
I wonder how long it'll be before people start crying out that forcing them to pay for their son's circ is robbing their families of much needed money..
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #160
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Kind of a tanget here, but DCS sometimes gets paid back by charging biological parents as well, so it isn't always taxpayers paying for medical bills.
They are "charging" DFS's parents, but their DCS bill for child support/expenses is about $40,000 right now, and neither is working, so I am fairly confident that DCS will never see that money. It is included in every court filing, though. I would love to see wages garnished when they are working, even if it is only $10 a month, just so they are forced to pay SOMETHING.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Closed Thread