Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
addicteddad
Registered Users

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

That's great news. It's about time that the uninformed be denied the easy route when it comes to unnecessary genital surgery. I wonder how long before a b.s. religious discrimination suit is tried?

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
Shaunam
Registered Users

That's great! Ohio still covers it. I SEETHE every time they deny a necessary item or med for my severely disabled DD, knowing that parents are getting FREE cosmetic surgery for their unconsenting baby boys.

I wish the people choosing to circ would know they are taking needed funds away from people who have REAL medical conditions. I know it's a selfish thought, but really, when my DD is projectile vomiting large amounts of blood because they didn't want to pay for PREVACID, it just ticks me off. I can't think of any other procedure that's paid for by medicaid that is so unnecessary.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
That's great news. It's about time that the uninformed be denied the easy route when it comes to unnecessary genital surgery. I wonder how long before a b.s. religious discrimination suit is tried?
I don't think that will ever happen. Religious circs are performed my mohels and medicaid will not reimburse them anyway. There are a lot of christians who claim religious beliefs and circ in the hospital, but I don't think it would stand up in court since the bible clearly states that it is unnecessary for christians. That and "medically necessary" and "religiously necessary" are two totally different things. Insurance should cover one, but not the other.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, this is frustrating to me too. DFS has had several meds that he needs due to some complications he's having denied by IN Medicaid this week, but his circ was paid for. Then they had to pay to have re-constructive surgery when the ped that circ'd him at 4 pounds 12 ounces did a terribly job and he got severe adhesions.

Where is the logic????
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
That and "medically necessary" and "religiously necessary" are two totally different things. Insurance should cover one, but not the other.
This exactly. Insurance is there to keep you healthy. Your religious beliefs are between you and your religious leaders/place of worship.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fantastic news!

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Ladies I think all the military mamas (and otherwise!) need to start writing letters to Tricare!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
pastrymel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
I don't think that will ever happen. Religious circs are performed my mohels and medicaid will not reimburse them anyway. There are a lot of christians who claim religious beliefs and circ in the hospital, but I don't think it would stand up in court since the bible clearly states that it is unnecessary for christians. That and "medically necessary" and "religiously necessary" are two totally different things. Insurance should cover one, but not the other.
Not all are, ours was done by a pediatric urologist. Ummm, and not all Christians believe the same things, nor are there only two religions (Judaism and Christianity).

Last edited by pastrymel; 12-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
mekat
Registered Users

Actually they are the 17th state to cut out circumcision funding. I really hope it wasn't across the board ban and they allow for medically necessary circumcision. Admittedly medically necessary procedures will be few and far between but I am just worried they made an across the board decision. I have seen too many times where Medicaid made a penny wise but pound foolish decision that ultimately cost them 10 times the amount down the round due to foolish short sighted savings. Yes, not paying for PPI's is a good example mentioned above.

My own child wound up hospitalized because he was denied his PPI for over a month. He got sick that month and the combination of the two landed him in the SICU severely dehydrated with unstable vitals. I wonder how much more a 36 hour SICU stay cost them versus paying for the PPI up front. Of course after that Medicaid gladly started paying for all my sons PPI's without any fuss including the premium name brand one that wasn't even on their approval list because it was the one he had to have.

Last edited by mekat; 12-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay! hopefully more states do this. I personally know people here in MO that didnt circ simply because they didnt want to pay out of pocket for it.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
Closed Thread