Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
Actually they are the 17th state to cut out circumcision funding. I really hope it wasn't across the board ban and they allow for medically necessary circumcision. Admittedly medically necessary procedures will be few and far between but I am just worried they made an across the board decision. I have seen too many times where Medicaid made a penny wise but pound foolish decision that ultimately cost them 10 times the amount down the round due to foolish short sighted savings. Yes, not paying for PPI's is a good example mentioned above.

My own child wound up hospitalized because he was denied his PPI for over a month. He got sick that month and the combination of the two landed him in the SICU severely dehydrated with unstable vitals. I wonder how much more a 36 hour SICU stay cost them versus paying for the PPI up front. Of course after that Medicaid gladly started paying for all my sons PPI's without any fuss including the premium name brand one that wasn't even on their approval list because it was the one he had to have.
In the title the OP specified that they don't cover routine circs. A medically necessary circ (however few and far between) is not a routine circumcision

I know it's not covered in WA--all of our foster babies were intact

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Yay! hopefully more states do this. I personally know people here in MO that didnt circ simply because they didnt want to pay out of pocket for it.
I drive for medicaid and I know a lot of moms didn't do it because of the cost. Some still do though. It was $125 when my son was born but I think it's $400 now.
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I drive for medicaid and I know a lot of moms didn't do it because of the cost. Some still do though. It was $125 when my son was born but I think it's $400 now.
6 years ago when I was PG with DS2 I was told that it would cost $600 here in springfield. My SIL was told $175 in Bolivar (4 years ago) so I guess it depends on where you live. I also know someone who paid for it, or rather her parents wanted it done so they paid for it.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
addicteddad
Registered Users

I wonder if we'll ever progress to the point where they will only 'allow' medically necessary circumcisions?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
crunch!910
Registered Users

Wonders why a woman CANNOT choose to have her tubes tied, but we can choose a cosmetic procedure for our sons, and have the government pay for it???... hmm....

I REALLY wish OH medicaid hadn't covered circumcision when DS was born. I didn't know any better, but I know if it wasn't covered, it wouldn't have got done because we didn't have the money for it, and I already felt bad to doing it to him.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #26
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
I really hope it wasn't across the board ban and they allow for medically necessary circumcision.
It's not, medically necessary circumcisions are still covered, as they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
I wonder if we'll ever progress to the point where they will only 'allow' medically necessary circumcisions?
We will, but that kind of progress is a long way away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I REALLY wish OH medicaid hadn't covered circumcision when DS was born. I didn't know any better, but I know if it wasn't covered, it wouldn't have got done because we didn't have the money for it, and I already felt bad to doing it to him.
We all make mistakes but as others have said when you know better, you do better.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymel View Post
Not all are, ours was done by a pediatric urologist. Ummm, and not all Christians believe the same things, nor are there only two religions (Judaism and Christianity).
Yes but it's not exactly a religious "right" to have your insurance company pay for a procedure. Tricare doesn't pay for a boob job for me because Gaia said so
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #28
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The religious argument goes both ways...are the same people that want Medicaid to cover "religiously necessary" circ's wanting Medicaid to for "religiously necessary" female genital mutilation done by some African tribes? It goes both ways. If we pay for one, we pay for all.

I personally think we should pay for none. If you want to circ your child, you can pay for it yourself.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
pastrymel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
Yes but it's not exactly a religious "right" to have your insurance company pay for a procedure. Tricare doesn't pay for a boob job for me because Gaia said so
I'm totally not trying to start an argument here, but I think it was very
disrespectful to use that as an comparison for my commandment of circumcising my son, and the smily is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The religious argument goes both ways...are the same people that want Medicaid to cover "religiously necessary" circ's wanting Medicaid to for "religiously necessary" female genital mutilation done by some African tribes? It goes both ways. If we pay for one, we pay for all.

I personally think we should pay for none. If you want to circ your child, you can pay for it yourself.
I agree, and I did pay for it myself. I wasn't debating if we should pay for anything, just wanted to point out it isn't always black and white.

Last edited by pastrymel; 12-25-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymel View Post
I agree, and I did pay for it myself. I wasn't debating if we should pay for anything, just wanted to point out it isn't always black and white.
My post was totally not directed towards yours. Sorry if it came across that way. It was directed at the poster suggesting that there would be a religious lawsuit.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Closed Thread