Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #51
bedheadmaestro
Registered Users
seller

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
There are medical reasons to circ. and who is to say one persons religious beliefs should be supported over others - our gov't basically supports only Christian values and since it isn't a Christian religion who is strongly for it then you are saying it should not be done for religious reasons, which was a reason why we choose to - more for cultural. The point was, where do you draw the line...why should the gov't support one belief over another? Some don't believe in breastfeeding? So, because some don't believe in it, just like you don't believe in circ., then using that logic, we should not support paying for anything related to it. The same logic can be applied to vac. - should we say no more vac as some people don't believe in them and parents who want them should pay for those too? Again, where is the line drawn? So, you now decide we should not pay for hospice because hey, that person will die anyway? Do we say hey, no cancer treatment for you as you lived in this area (of course, it was the only place parents could get employment to feed their family) but in the process you got cancer? If you don't want it, no biggie, don't get it for your child, but don't impose your values and morals on someone else and their choices that may not be right for their family.
Insurance should have nothing to do with paying for supporting anyone's personal beliefs, which is all circumcision boils down to in 99.9 percent of all cases. You are confusing "medical" with "personal." If insurance was all up in religious or cultural bizness, then insurance should ALSO be buying pot for rastafarians, paying for female genital mutilation, paying for tattoos for Coptic Christians and Maoris, and paying for my girl's ear piercings. Hey-it's cultural, why not!!!

Not paying for circumcision is not religious discrimination. It's just not paying for cosmetic surgery. Haven't Jews always had to pay their mohel privately, anyway, and then hope for at least partial reimbursement? Why should it be any different for Christians?

Supporting breastfeeding has a clear and proven medical benefit. Vaccines arguably do too, although the issue that many have with the vaccine industry is actually more about informed consent and the dangerous vax schedule, than whether or not there is benefit. Considering that many insurance companies DON'T pay for anything related to breastfeeding either, the fact that they pay for circumcision is a travesty.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #52
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedheadmaestro View Post
Insurance should have nothing to do with paying for supporting anyone's personal beliefs
Exactly!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #53
cheerkri
Banned

Quote:
There are medical reasons to circ.
Really? I'd be interested in seeing this. The only medical benefits I can find on paper are dated 20 years prior, along with pushing parents to have babies sleep on their stomachs or sides and such. What medical benefits have you noticed?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #54
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

GO SC! Thats great, lets hope more follow and do the same, its totally unnecessary IN MOST CASES if it is medically needed whatever.. but.. otherwise.. its not needed
Old 12-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #55
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WV medicaid also stopping funding circ this year

Here's a link with more info about how to stop your tax dollars from funding it:

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/12/are-y...cumcision.html

Definitely agree with Katie on writing in to Tricare as well That would save so many.

His body, his choice.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #56
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
GO SC! Thats great, lets hope more follow and do the same, its totally unnecessary IN MOST CASES if it is medically needed whatever.. but.. otherwise.. its not needed
There are organized efforts in many states, if you're interested I can point you to the folks coordinating the effort. I am not certain about an active group in Ohio but there may be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
WV medicaid also stopping funding circ this year

Here's a link with more info about how to stop your tax dollars from funding it:

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/12/are-y...cumcision.html

Definitely agree with Katie on writing in to Tricare as well That would save so many.
Unfortunately, I've seen reliable confirmation that this isn't the case for West Virginia.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #57
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
That's great news. It's about time that the uninformed be denied the easy route when it comes to unnecessary genital surgery. I wonder how long before a b.s. religious discrimination suit is tried?

I agree 100% with that. And i'm so very glad they don't cover it anymore!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #58
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Here's a link to the FB page for a group trying to get Tricare funding stopped

http://www.facebook.com/pages/End-Me...#!/GIIntegrity
Old 12-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #59
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think some people are missing the point, not paying for a elective surgery is not the same as banning the practice. In the current system you have the right to chose to PAY for your son to be cut plain and simple no one is denying you that right as a parent. What has been decided is that since no good information is out there that shows routinue Circing as medically neccesary and adding to higher budgets, it got cut.

So if your religion choses to circ, you go to the doctors and pay. Just like the goverment doesn't give you a portion of your taxes back for you to tithe, or pay for your wedding, if you find circing religiously important then you are on your own. I think that is fair personally.

I think that it is a good way to save money personally.

Last edited by Fairycat; 12-26-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #60
pcjs
Registered Users

So, basically, we should go down the list of every health insurance and if someone doesn't believe the treatment is "morally" right then the insurance shouldn't pay. I think that's very close minded for a group that prides themselves on being open-minded but I guess openminded is only open as long as you believe specific beliefs. So, where does the insurance should not pay for XXX. Do we stop paying for IVF? That could be considered elective???? Maybe you all should lobby tricare and insurance company's to stop paying for that or heavily subsidizing that? Parenting technically is not a right? Maybe we should stop paying for cancer treatment? If cancer consumes ones body, maybe it was meant to be that that person should die? For those liking alternative medicines - chiropractors, mid-wives, and anything out of the "norm" should health care stop paying for that too?