Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #71
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I personally think it should all be paid for, including your kids ears pierced as I would prefer a doctor to do it over a shop at the mall where the hygiene is not as good but it isn't the point I am making. Where do you draw the line and who decides what is elective or not. I never had a need to have a biological child - my need was to be a mom so that really is a bad argument to me. And, paying for my own infertility treatments given our issue would have been far cheaper than the nightmare we went through although our insurance/docs pushed us to have a biological child or basically get a child any means necessary just out of full support as they were just that wonderful - they helped in any way they could and we were very fortunate.

Some of the treatments I have access to could be considered elective to some. But, my doctors push me to do them - some I accept, some I don't. So, if someone on diaperswapper say's hey... that doesn't sound good, group think kicks in where the norm say's hey, that doesn't sound good, even though it may be best for me and my family... then... no more treatment for me and I should suffer? Or, what if I took another approach... everyone should adopt... nor more infertility treatment as I believe that is unnatural (now this is not what I think and I think people should do whats best for them but its not the point) and I went around and lobbied for that? I could use the argument a few people are abusing it and having crazy multiples, trading/selling their meds for a profit (to me, they should be donated, not sold if insurance paid for them) and all kinds of other things I've seen go on or have been told about by friends prior to them adopting. So, again, where is the line drawn where you begin to impose your values on someone else and deny them the right to make an informed choice for their child? Our gov't pays for all kinds of crazy things they probably should and for those of us who don't get tax breaks & credits it sucks but that's life and it is what it is. But, I personally want the choice as I want people like my son's birthparents to be able to make the choice for their children (and yes, they consulted us).
I think this is the part that you are not getting- you/they STILL HAVE THAT CHOICE. Newborn boys can STILL be circumcised in states that do not cover circumcision in their medicaid plans. The difference is, when you make the choice to have the surgery done to your child, is you are going to have to pay out of pocket for it.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #72
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
WV paid for my son's in late 2009 - so they were doing it then as his birthmom & dad signed off for it. Its nice people have the "right" to choose what is best for their child.
Hopefully your son doesn't grow up to resent you for taking his body part away forever without his consent. dont bother responding, I wont be seeing any more of your posts
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #73
cheerkri
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Hopefully your son doesn't grow up to resent you for taking his body part away forever without his consent. dont bother responding, I wont be seeing any more of your posts

Thank you. It really upsets me to the point of tears that people are still willing to cut off body parts on newborn babies with zero medical reasoning whatsoever. I thank God every day that I stood up to s/o and protected my child from the pain and suffering... and now, he's glad too!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #74
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
that's disappointing. I had read on a few different sites that WV stopped funding it this year.
Regrettably, that doesn't seem to be the case. I am not sure where those blogs got their information but when I read them, I got in touch with the women who sort of coordinates the effort nationally. She got in touch with whomever is in charge of WV Medicaid and found out differently and emailed us. But South Carolina is genuine, state number 17 I believe.

I've worked on MD myself and they seem open to the idea but not ready to commit yet. On the good side though, I did find out that of all male Medicaid births, only 55% were circumcised through the program. This number has been on the decline for at least 5 years.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #75
CharlieInCharge
Registered Users

Quote:
So, again, where is the line drawn where you begin to impose your values on someone else and deny them the right to make an informed choice for their child? Our gov't pays for all kinds of crazy things they probably should and for those of us who don't get tax breaks & credits it sucks but that's life and it is what it is. But, I personally want the choice as I want people like my son's birthparents to be able to make the choice for their children (and yes, they consulted us).
First of all, I have yet to meet anyone who chose to routinely circumcise a newborn and was truly informed about the procedure, the risks, and the functions of the foreskin. That doesn't make them bad people; just uninformed. Most had never even heard of meatal stenosis, for instance, even though their circumcised son stands an uncomfortably high chance of requiring another surgery in childhood to correct this condition. If the child is on Medicaid, in fact, there's a good chance that the taxpayers will not only pay for the original circumcision, they'll also have to pay for either a circumcision revision or a meatal stenosis repair a short time later. You're talking about a potential tax burden of thousands of dollars per child.

I'm not sure why you're going on and on about choice. You would still have the choice. You would just have to foot the bill yourself. Don't want to pay for it? Don't have your children's normal, healthy body parts removed. Can't pay for it? It happens. But there's nothing wrong with your child in the first place, so no reason that taxpayers (or anyone else) should pay to have him fixed.

Values don't play into this. It's about facts, and the facts clearly indicate that routine circumcision removes healthy, functioning tissue from an unconsenting person. It's also an incomparably stressful procedure, even with anesthesia. There's no way around any of that. I understand that parents who choose to circumcise truly believe that they are doing what's best for their children, but unfortunately that doesn't make them informed or correct in their beliefs.

Edit: I would also argue that removing your son's healthy, normal foreskin is imposing your values pretty strongly on him, isn't it? It certainly denies him the right to ever be able to make an informed choice about his own body. I don't say that to be offensive or sarcastic, only to point out that bemoaning the idea of having someone else take your choices away isn't the best tack to take when you want to argue your "right" to do the same to your child. On somebody else's dime, no less.

Last edited by CharlieInCharge; 12-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #76
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
So, basically, we should go down the list of every health insurance and if someone doesn't believe the treatment is "morally" right then the insurance shouldn't pay. I think that's very close minded for a group that prides themselves on being open-minded but I guess openminded is only open as long as you believe specific beliefs. So, where does the insurance should not pay for XXX. Do we stop paying for IVF? That could be considered elective???? Maybe you all should lobby tricare and insurance company's to stop paying for that or heavily subsidizing that? Parenting technically is not a right? Maybe we should stop paying for cancer treatment? If cancer consumes ones body, maybe it was meant to be that that person should die? For those liking alternative medicines - chiropractors, mid-wives, and anything out of the "norm" should health care stop paying for that too?
IVF is NOT paid for by insurance in most cases, people have to PAY FOR IT THEMSELVES.

I go to the chiropractor weekly and I PAY FOR IT MYSELF because my insurance doesn't cover it.

Cancer treatment is NECESSARY to keep people from dying. Circumcision CAUSES death.

Circumcision isn't just morally wrong, it's physically unnecessary. It is taking a healthy body part away from a baby boy for NO reason. It is NOT your penis, so leave it alone!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #77
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Tricare pays for Chiropractors - I was offered one - turned it down as its not something I am comfortable with but the point is - to me, that's elective, just as infertility - so really, anything elective should be cut out by the standards posted here. Infertility may be a medical condition, but should insurance pay for it as it isn't a right to be a parent so why should insurance pay for it - that's 100% elective.

There are medical reasons, including infections and preventing infections and I know kids via my job who have had to have circ. at ages 2-6 because of them.

To me its no different than any other elective procedure and its a personal choice that I don't think someone has a right to decide for someone else.
They absolutely do not. They only pay for chiropractors at MTF facilities for ACTIVE DUTY personnel. Believe me, if they paid for it I wouldn't be paying for it myself.

ANd to the bolded...REALLY? I cannot believe you just said that!!! So it's okay to decide FOR a baby boy who has no choice? You contradict yourself every other sentence.

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 12-27-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #78
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
WV paid for my son's in late 2009 - so they were doing it then as his birthmom & dad signed off for it. Its nice people have the "right" to choose what is best for their child.
Unfortunately they do have the "right" to choose this, even though it is definitely not "BEST" for the child.
However, if the insurance didn't cover it, you would still have the "RIGHT" to pay for it yourself, and not use my taxpayer money.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #79
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post

Thank you for that, I was just going to say something to the same effect.

And I sure hope your poor little boy doesn't get made fun of in the locker room, you know that circ is only 33% in the US and rapidly dropping...he's going to look DIFFERENT!

Quote:
Edit: I would also argue that removing your son's healthy, normal foreskin is imposing your values pretty strongly on him, isn't it? It certainly denies him the right to ever be able to make an informed choice about his own body. I don't say that to be offensive or sarcastic, only to point out that bemoaning the idea of having someone else take your choices away isn't the best tack to take when you want to argue your "right" to do the same to your child. On somebody else's dime, no less.
Awesome post.

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 12-27-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #80
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know the decision was probably not made with with the best intentions in mind, but I am so glad that this happened. If I had never been on this forum I probably would have never known how unnecessary and even harmful this procedure is. In my area circumcision is still the norm because no one really thinks twice about it. My DH has finally changed his mind on the issue and if we ever have a son he does not want him to be circumcised
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
Closed Thread