Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #81
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
Regrettably, that doesn't seem to be the case. I am not sure where those blogs got their information but when I read them, I got in touch with the women who sort of coordinates the effort nationally. She got in touch with whomever is in charge of WV Medicaid and found out differently and emailed us. But South Carolina is genuine, state number 17 I believe.

I've worked on MD myself and they seem open to the idea but not ready to commit yet. On the good side though, I did find out that of all male Medicaid births, only 55% were circumcised through the program. This number has been on the decline for at least 5 years
That is great!

Advertisement

His body, his choice.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #82
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieInCharge View Post
First of all, I have yet to meet anyone who chose to routinely circumcise a newborn and was truly informed about the procedure, the risks, and the functions of the foreskin. That doesn't make them bad people; just uninformed. Most had never even heard of meatal stenosis, for instance, even though their circumcised son stands an uncomfortably high chance of requiring another surgery in childhood to correct this condition. If the child is on Medicaid, in fact, there's a good chance that the taxpayers will not only pay for the original circumcision, they'll also have to pay for either a circumcision revision or a meatal stenosis repair a short time later. You're talking about a potential tax burden of thousands of dollars per child.

I'm not sure why you're going on and on about choice. You would still have the choice. You would just have to foot the bill yourself. Don't want to pay for it? Don't have your children's normal, healthy body parts removed. Can't pay for it? It happens. But there's nothing wrong with your child in the first place, so no reason that taxpayers (or anyone else) should pay to have him fixed.

Values don't play into this. It's about facts, and the facts clearly indicate that routine circumcision removes healthy, functioning tissue from an unconsenting person. It's also an incomparably stressful procedure, even with anesthesia. There's no way around any of that. I understand that parents who choose to circumcise truly believe that they are doing what's best for their children, but unfortunately that doesn't make them informed or correct in their beliefs.

Edit: I would also argue that removing your son's healthy, normal foreskin is imposing your values pretty strongly on him, isn't it? It certainly denies him the right to ever be able to make an informed choice about his own body. I don't say that to be offensive or sarcastic, only to point out that bemoaning the idea of having someone else take your choices away isn't the best tack to take when you want to argue your "right" to do the same to your child. On somebody else's dime, no less.

Well said.

His body, his choice.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #83
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great news for SC! I should check my insurance and see if it's covered or not since I really have no idea and didn't think about it until this post.

I think there's a lot of religious and personal belief tangled up in this matter, especially in the last few pages of this post. I think the overall message is being completely missed by some people too. If you REALLY feel it is the best interest of your family to do a routine infant circumcision, YOU STILL HAVE THAT OPTION, it's just not covered by insurance because it isn't a MEDICALLY NECESSARY procedure. If there is a true medical need to circumcise later, that will still be covered by insurance because it is medically necessary. No one is taking away any right of any parent to do what they feel is best for their child.

I personally think insurance companies not paying for this is a good thing. The truth is that there are risks associated with routine infant circumcision that a lot of parents don't know about before getting the procedure done and if the insurance is paying for it anyway, a lot of people don't look very closely into the potential issues. This way, parents that truly want to have their sons circumcised can still do it for religious or personal reasons, but those that are uninformed will be motivated into researching this more since it's actually costing them money to go through with it, rather than leaving their sons intact for free. It's about making an informed choice.

Last edited by Salidwyn; 12-27-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #84
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish all states quit paying for this. If you want it done, pay for it yourself!!!

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #85
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
There are medical reasons, and they are almost never present in the neonatal or childhood period. Just like there are medical reasons for removing tonsils but we don't do it unless and individual needs it.
And Medicaid would never pay for an elective tonsillectomy...

And yes, in my case, DFS's mother chose to have Indiana medicaid pay for his circumcision. And at 18 months old, Indiana medicaid had to pay for an invasive revision, which involved putting him under general anesthesia with a pediatric urologist, where his breathing was compromised and stopped several times due to his asthma, and he had significant complications during the surgery done at a highly regarded children's hospital performed by very skilled surgeon and anesthesiologist. In our case, if medicaid hadn't paid for the circ, it never would have gotten done since bio-mom and bio-dad didn't even have enough money for diapers and he was taken by the system 5 days out of the nicu.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #86
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

We are talking Medicaid- which also cut a lot of GOOD stuff in these cuts b/c they just do not have enough money. My whole point is that if they HAVE to make cuts (which they do), and they HAVE to get rid of some of the things we know are helpful to people, then at least they recognize that circ is unnecessary, therefore should be the first to go when budget cuts are made.

Of course, I think govt. should not cover it in any state, b/c it is deemed a cosmetic procedure and our tax dollars do not need to cover those.

And as far as infertility treatments, etc.- Medicaid sure as heck doesn't cover those. Lol. I think it us stupid that they will cover me getting my tubes tied, but not my dh getting a vasectomy, which is cheaper and less-risky. But, there are a lot of flaws with Medicaid anyway. Just glad this one is now taken care of here in SC.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #87
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I agree if families want it done they should pay for it themselves out of pocket. Here in California, you pay oop if you want your ds circ'd. It has been years since it was covered by state insurance here which is great! ALL states should stop the funding for it.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #88
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
And Medicaid would never pay for an elective tonsillectomy...

And yes, in my case, DFS's mother chose to have Indiana medicaid pay for his circumcision. And at 18 months old, Indiana medicaid had to pay for an invasive revision, which involved putting him under general anesthesia with a pediatric urologist, where his breathing was compromised and stopped several times due to his asthma, and he had significant complications during the surgery done at a highly regarded children's hospital performed by very skilled surgeon and anesthesiologist. In our case, if medicaid hadn't paid for the circ, it never would have gotten done since bio-mom and bio-dad didn't even have enough money for diapers and he was taken by the system 5 days out of the nicu.
ugh, and to think of your dfs with his other health issues having to go through that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
We are talking Medicaid- which also cut a lot of GOOD stuff in these cuts b/c they just do not have enough money. My whole point is that if they HAVE to make cuts (which they do), and they HAVE to get rid of some of the things we know are helpful to people, then at least they recognize that circ is unnecessary, therefore should be the first to go when budget cuts are made.

Of course, I think govt. should not cover it in any state, b/c it is deemed a cosmetic procedure and our tax dollars do not need to cover those.
Yes! Professionally, I have seen people who needed very major things done and couldn't b/c medicaid funding was cut....yet they pay for elective/cosmetic circs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I agree if families want it done they should pay for it themselves out of pocket. Here in California, you pay oop if you want your ds circ'd. It has been years since it was covered by state insurance here which is great! ALL states should stop the funding for it.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #89
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
I think it us stupid that they will cover me getting my tubes tied, but not my dh getting a vasectomy, which is cheaper and less-risky. But, there are a lot of flaws with Medicaid anyway. Just glad this one is now taken care of here in SC.
Seriously!!!

I'm sorry but there is no way I'm going to get my whole body cut open when my DH can just have a little snip and it's done Thankfully Tricare is more than willing to pay for a vasectomy if you're a certain age and/or have a certain number of children
Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #90
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree they shouldn't pay for elective surgery like circumcisions. If a religion commands it, then I would expect the church would help out.
A lot of people aren't told about the problems or benefits. Most of us don't go around talking about penises, so choices are made by what a person thinks should be right. We weren't told squat about ds 1's circ. If it hadn't been covered, I don't think we would have had it done as we would have looked further into it. Which yes, in hindsight we should have done that, but then again we should have also delved deeper into non-medicated, non-hospital births etc. I would say we didn't because we were young, but even older people don't research this stuff because we expect the medical people to make the right decisions. . . Until we learn differently and then start researching everything and regretting the choices we made because we should have taken the time to educate ourselves.