Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is your choice of formula?

My BFF and I were discussing this and I was curious to know what you use and why.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
KrispiKreme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your choice of formula?

I started out with Similac Advance RTF because that's what DS got at the hospital and I didn't want to change it and have it be rough on his stomach. Then we realized that his constant throwing up wasn't just normal spit ups so we tried the Similac Sensitive for Fussiness and Gas RTF, Similac Soy RTF, and the Similac Sensitive with Rice Starch RTF to see if that would help with no luck. Now he's on Similac Alimentum RTF because of his reflux. He can't have powder either because it makes the vomiting worse. I didn't have a preference for brand. We just stuck with what he was used to. If he hadn't had so many issues with his formula, we would have been open to any RTF stuff.
Kristen- tattooed, pierced, athiest, semi crunchy, wannabe thrifty, ,, SAHM to Parker- my crazy squealing, hair pulling, no sleeping ball of energy who has been driving me crazy since 7/18/10 and my sweet chubby newbie Zachary who was an apocalypse baby (12/21/12)
KrispiKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
atria
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6 month old. I've wanted to go organic with everything possible. I always wanted to use Baby's Only Organic forumla, however, since this was our first and it wasn't available in the hospital I went with Similac Organic. It was before the Similac recall and in decent stock.

At one point, I had to mix Similac Organic with Similac Sensitive due to constipation issues. That worked well, then the Similac recall came around to which I was none too happy that she'd be on recalled formula since birth.

So, we switched over to Baby's Only Organic formula like I wanted to in the beginning. She tolerated the switch just fine, and I didn't have to worry about synthetic DHA.

I hear both of these organic formulas can cause constipation with a lot of babies. But we sorted that out and have been loving Baby's Only Organic for some time.
atria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Either Baby's Only organic or Similac Organic (we preferred the liquid). These are the only two that do not contain palm olein and are organic [assuming your baby can handle them].

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was only on similac sensitive because he had fussiness. When we started formula with DD she was on similac sensitive but she has reflux so we switched her to similac RS but it didnt help much so then we switched her to enfamil AR which is a little thicker. It worked for the spit up but it gave her HORRIBLE constipation and we had to give her an enema . SO after that ordeal we switched her to enfamil gentlease since she was about to start solids anyways (which usually helps with reflux). the gentlease works for her and since we started solids her reflux has improved some.

her reflux was horrible when she was EBF too, she would eat and then puke all over my boob it broke my heart

Last edited by stringbean02; 12-26-2010 at 08:25 PM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

We ended up after trying many with a 50/50 mix of the Similac Sensitive and the RS/rice starch RTF. Then we at about 10 months went to just the sensitive until about 13 months and then were all over the place as I ran out of the old stuff and the new formula was not as good for my son. We settled on The Walmart Toddler Formula powder (but I miss RTF) and a Gerber SIP/plain as the nightly tank topper as the toddler formula is really gassy, especially at night.

We have huge reflux issues - got better at 11 months but we can't do whole milk - tried it and reflux was back.

I'm really liking the Walmart brand.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

EleCare ... because it's the only one that works for my severe food-allergy kiddo. Some parents have the luxury of having opinions on which formula(s) are best -- we were just glad to find one that makes for happy, healthy baby.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started with Similac powder because that was what we got from WIC when we had to switch from BFing to FFing. Then when it was recalled we were given the liquid Similac and he had a reaction to it - nasty diarrhea. WIC would only give us Similar or the soy version of Similac, which we didn't want to use, so we switched to the Enfamil samples we had received from the hospital and no reaction there. So we then went on the Costco Kirtland brand formula, which ingredient/nutrition-wise appears to be identical to Enfamil - and only $17 for a big can, so much cheaper! So far no problems with that one, so we are sticking with that one.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Reetzi
Registered Users
seller

My daughter drinks regular Similac and has had no problems.

Both my oldest boys used soy Enfamil. My youngest son had horrible reflux problems (still does at 4 years old) and he ended up on Alimentum. The GoodStart something or other worked for him but we couldn't get it on WIC.
Reetzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Elecare. It is what DFS has to be on for his J tube. He couldn't tolerate Enfacare, Enfamil, Gentlease, Alimentum, Nutrimigen, or Peptamin Jr, even when he was eating through his stomach though.

DD did ok on an occasional Similac bottle.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote