Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: What is your choice of formula?

we use the costco brand milk based. No corn syrup. and its cheap (2 26oz cans of powder for $19.97 as oppsed to more than that for ONE name brand like similac or enfamil.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Antigone
Registered Users
seller

We started with Similac Advance in the hospital. They let me choose and Similac had given us free samples and coupons. Then she was having reflux so we switched to Enfamil AR. She's still having reflux, I am not sure if it's helping all that much. So frustrating.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 08-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 did best on Similac Alimentum RTF
DD go an occasional bottle of Goodstart Soy
DS2 ultimately ended up on Elecare and still is (he's 2)
DS3 is doing best on Enfamil Pregestimil 24 cal RTF nursettes, but with WIC he'll have to switch to pregestimil powder
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Currently Similac Sensitive RTF. My DD only gets formula in her daycare bottles, and RTF is actually more cost-effective for us than powder since a can of powder is only good for 30 days after opened and we wouldn't go through a whole can in a month. We use about 2 bottles of RTF per week.

As for why, I chose Similac when my son was a baby because Abbott Labs is one of the few companies that does not use palm olein in their infant formulas. Research has shown that babies on formula with palm olein have lower bone density/less calcium absorption than babies on breast milk or formula without palm olein. Based on the research Abbott doesn't use palm olein in any of their formula products.

So, my son had Similac Advance for supplementation and for his daycare bottles once I could no longer pump enough for his daycare bottles.

When I was back at work full time and no longer able to pump enough for DD's daycare bottles I planned to use Similac Advance, but DD has reflux and the pedi recommended using the Sensitive formula instead. So far she has done well with it.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
andreaw97
Registered Users
seller

I started with Similac senstive but then the recall happened and I switched to Good Start. She has done great with it. I am thinking I will try a store brand but I kind of scares me. I dont know why I guess the formula companies have me trained to buy them because they are a "name Brand".
andreaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:

I tried Bf but did not have much success so we started out with similac advance from the hospital. We had horrible reflux and went to similac sensative. Reflux was better but still there and horrible gas. We went to goodstart gentle plus and have not looked back. My son is now on 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 good start gentle plus toddler formula because on too much milk he gets constipated and this is at 15 months. I wish there was a generic of good start gentle plus but we were too afraid to change after we found something that worked.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
cboytitan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son started out on Enfamil Enfacare for preemies - then we switched him to Enfamil Lipil.

We just recently tried a couple of different generic versions of the Enfamil formula, but neither worked well, he spit up a LOT.

We also mix RTF with powder b/c he doesn't do well on powder alone. We have tried several times to go with only powder but he spits it up and gets very very gassy. So we mix the two to help him, but the powder is cheaper so it saves us some money too.

We use Enfamil b/c that's what the hospital started him out with - I'm kinda glad too b/c we haven't been effected by the Similac recall - except they have actually lowered the price of his formula.

cboytitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
hfrink
Registered Users
seller

We were on Goodstart, but ds had HORRIBLE smelling gas and poop. He's now using the Target Up & Up that is equivalent with Similac Advance ES. DD used to be on S.A. ES, but spit up horribly. We switched her to Up and Up and she did awesome.
hfrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I tried Bf but did not have much success so we started out with similac advance from the hospital. We had horrible reflux and went to similac sensative. Reflux was better but still there and horrible gas. We went to goodstart gentle plus and have not looked back. My son is now on 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 good start gentle plus toddler formula because on too much milk he gets constipated and this is at 15 months. I wish there was a generic of good start gentle plus but we were too afraid to change after we found something that worked.
Try the Walmart Toddler - we have the reflux issue and can't get on whole milk and were on Similac (till they changed the formula) - we tried all the toddler, including a few of the organic's and the Walmart seems the best/less gassy - we still get some gas so we don't use it at night and our night "solution" is a plain Gerber Sip (they come in a 3 pack). (We have to use Mylicon for the gas sometimes).

Apparently reflux babies and whole milk according to one website I read are a difficult combination so we are going to hold off till he can go to 2% and just skip whole milk.