Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Make daddy flat style diaper with out surger?

Would it be possible to make t shirt "daddy flat" style diapers without a surger ?

Anyone know a free pattern or how it would work to sew them?

Thanks!

Advertisement

vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Make daddy flat style diaper with out surger?

You could make basically any diaper without a serger by T&Ting. You just have to modify how you make it. I started making diapers that way, and for instructions that were written specifically for serging, it always seemed the "hardest" to modify, even though all I was doing was the same T&T "routine".

For the daddy flat, all you would do is put your fabrics right side together, sew around the edges, leaving an opening for turning. Turn so the right sides are out and then topstitch around the edges. Done! No elastic to worry about (the hardest part in modifications IMO).

I couldn't find the daddy flat (I guess it's no longer available for purchase), but here's the QSFW (Quick Snap Flap Wrap) and the NSFW (Not So Flat Wrap) patterns... both are free. GL!

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, if something wants me to serge it, I set my sewing machine to a stitch length of about 1, and a width of about 5 and put it on zigzag...and then I let the right side of the zigzag fall off the fabric while the left side of the zigzag is on the fabrics...It's hard to explain...I call it "fake serging"...You can PM me if you need me to explain it better. =)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be careful of that though. Some machines can overheat if they do a zigzag / overlock stitch for too long.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutebluebaby View Post
I'd be careful of that though. Some machines can overheat if they do a zigzag / overlock stitch for too long.
I'm a really slow sew-er...and I stop a million times because I can't keep it straight - but ya...I forgot to mention that. For a good sew-er who can keep it going constant, it could get warm...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

I love my DaddyFlats, which are very similar to the QSFW, and turn and topstitch them. I have a serger, and the next round I make, Ill probably use it because Im no longer frightened of it (dont judge me! LOL) but they worked great with sewing them right side together, leaving an opening in the back, turning and doing a straight stitch edge stitch all the way around.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
moley
Registered Users

There is a mama on ds who posted a tut on what I think you want to do.. she made them out of recieving blankets and turned and topstitched. heres the link
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=742836