Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
The doc said I need to supplement...sigh (sorta long)

We went for DD 4'month check up today and DD hasn't gained like the doc wanted her to. She was in the 50th percentile 2 months ago and now she's in the 25th. He said that as a 1st time BFing mother my body doesn't know what to do so my milk is drying up and the quality isn't good anymore. This is the point that I started balling because I have worked so freaking hard to get where I'm at!

Background:
DD sleeps anywhere from 10-12 hours at night. She nurses every 3-4 hours while she's awake. But only for about 3 minutes per side and she nurses both sides at each feeding. Her diaper output is fine. I change every 2 hours and she is always wet. She poops about every other day. She isnt very fussy at all, but the doc said that EBF babies don't tend to show hunger, like they could be starving and noone would know (seems untrue but IDK). I'm anti-formula! My 2 youngest boys are also on the low end of the charts so I know I have small babies. With the info I gave do you think:
I have a supply issue?
I should start pumping?
I should try herbal meds?
Supplement with formula ?

I'm typing on my iPod so forgive me if it's all jumbled and hard to read! It won't let me read the top portion! But thanks for reading anyways!

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The doc said I need to supplement...sigh (sorta long)

Wow mama sounds like you don't have a very bf'ing friendly pedi! It is normal for bf'ing babies to " fall off the charts" per se. Is he using the WHO chart or the CDC chart. I honestly would not worry to much as long as your feeding on demand and she is having wet and poopy diapers! And as long as she is hitting milestones. Maybe you could pump or start some herbal suppliments. What is her weight? She looks nice and healthy in your avi pic
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

I say find another Dr! That's ridiculous advice!

My only thoughts are maybe waking her 1-2x a night to get some extra nursing sessions in. I know the sleep is great but my DS is also small (like below 5th %) but he eats all night long every night. I would think he would start to lose weight if he slept that long at night.

KUP!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:

Her weight today was 11lbs 4oz. She was 7lbs 4oz at birth and she's 18 weeks. She is doing good with milestones and my family says she doesn't look underweight at all. I just want some reassurance from some BFing moms that docs don't know what they are talking about half the time. I have decided to wake DD twice during the night to feed because I'm just too paranoid over her health
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your doing great mama! Keep it up! And waking her is a great idea!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow that is a classic ignorant thing to say about breastfeeding. Find a new pediatrician peroid. Do it tomorrow. Check out kellymom for normal variations of weight gain.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not supplement and find a new pedi ASAP! Every baby had their own growth curve. You're doing great. Keep it up!
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

My DD was 6lbs 12oz when born and is now 8 weeks and weighs probably close to 12lbs. Of course, some mamas have more skim milk, per se, and others, me, have straight cream. LOL. That is something to take into consideration. It is a hard situation you've got. She had a healthy dipe # but not gaining. Hmm...
Why do you not want to supplement?

I would personally supplement to help her gain weight. I would be more concerned that she isn't getting enough food. Although, I do not agree with your dr. My dd cries when she is hungry and i EBF. Also I do not agree that you are drying up just because it is your first time BFing and your body doesn't know what it is doing. Except that I do know, there are some mamas who just cannot produce milk and they do dry up. For ex: my sister loses her milk when her LO is 4 months old and this has happened with all 4 of her children. She has tried herbs, pumping, etc etc... nothing helped. For some odd reason, her body just can't figure that signal out. And as sad as it is, maybe that is what is happening with you?

If you feel guilt, you shouldn't. Of course, BM is best but you child is not going to be harmed by FFing. But do what you think is best. You are the mama and you know your child better than we do. Good luck and let us know!
lovermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

find a new ped. seriously. Kai was 4.5lbs at birth so not ON the charts lol and the first 2 peds called him FTT despite gaining a lb or more a month bc he "wasnt on the charts". we finally have a ped who is also a IBCLC and Kai at 6 months was 11lbs 13 oz(do the math he had gained 7 lbs 5 oz in 6 months) and she was fine with it. yes he's small but im small and dh is small so he will probably always be small.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I would feed on one side only per feeding, that will help make sure she's getting enough hindmilk