Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #31
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The doc said I need to supplement...sigh (sorta long)

Like PP's have said, your dr sounds misinformed. UGH.

Have you seen an LC? I'd encourage you to! They are so helpful IME. My LC diagnosed DS's tongue tie (very mild case) at my first visit when DS was 6 wks, but my ped denied that his tight frenulum could be affecting DS's nursing.

If you schedule your appointment for a time when baby is ready to eat, the LC can do a before and after feeding weight to see how much your baby is drinking. My LC told me some babies are able to suck down 4-5+ oz in 5 min. Some babies are just super efficient (not my son, though! LOL).

Advertisement

ISO:
DD Granny Smith, Caramel Apple, MM Circe, SBish interlock longies w/11"+ inseam

Last edited by applebutter; 12-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #32
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd is 5 months. At her 4 mo check up, her doc noted that she had dropped in her percentiles from 50% to 15% -- but here's the thing WE DO SUPPLEMENT WITH FORMULA because I can't pump at work enough to meet DD needs. So supplementing may not make any difference. Keep nursing!

As PP have said, make sure everything's okay with her but don't worry too much about it. Look at the whole picture, is your child meeting appropriate developmental milestones? If so, just try not to worry so much.

After 4 months, you know what a hungry baby is like and clearly you want to be a responsive mama. You're doing great!

Last edited by AniMommy; 12-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #33
Datamum
Registered Users

If you do decide to supplement, use an SNS or lact aid so you are stimulating your milk production. I'd suggest pumping after feeds too to boost your supply, and the herbs work too. You could use the pumped milk in an SNS rather than formula too.

Remember you need to feed your baby first and foremost - I starved my baby (of course unintentionally) for his first month before I added formula. He was a happy guy and never seemed overly hungry and all my friends and family, including a doctor, said he looked fine and healthy and told me not to listen to those public health nurses. When I look at the photos now from then I know he wasn't getting enough. Just saying this cause support is great but it can be misleading, it was for me. Just follow your gut and do what is right for your babe.

I'd go to a LC and get some help, maybe, that really helped us. Get the before - after feed weight check to put your mind at ease. Also remember that any BM is good, so if it
turns out you need to supplement a bit be sure to keep BF - it's so good for both of you. Good luck and keep up the good work!!
Datamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #34
ncfjj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambrita View Post
The physiology of having a bifid uvula depending on the severity would indicate that while it looks normal in front of the uvula, the development more often than not behind the uvula is more consistent with what you'd see in a child with a cleft palate. My SIL casually mentioned that my nephew was born with a heartshaped uvula, and for reasons unknown -at the time- she was not able to breastfeed him beyond 4 months.. and when I explained to her what the heart shaped uvula was called and what comes along with having that condition, she promptly said, "Oh so I'm not a complete failure at breastfeeding then?" I should add that my nephew started having chronic ear infections around the age of 4 months, had tubes put in his ears at 6 months and is on his second set at the age of almost 4. A bifid uvula will not always cause extreme hearing loss, but it will usually result in the child having chronic ear infections.
Wow, I lucked out. I have a heart shaped one, but I think one or two ear infections as a kid. My mom bf me until 4 or 6 months old, but stopped because she had a crappy manual pump, and had gone back to work. My dad had said before that I just missed having a cleft pallet, but I didn't know there were other complications that go along with it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #35
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datamum View Post
If you do decide to supplement, use an SNS or lact aid so you are stimulating your milk production. I'd suggest pumping after feeds too to boost your supply, and the herbs work too. You could use the pumped milk in an SNS rather than formula too.

Remember you need to feed your baby first and foremost - I starved my baby (of course unintentionally) for his first month before I added formula. He was a happy guy and never seemed overly hungry and all my friends and family, including a doctor, said he looked fine and healthy and told me not to listen to those public health nurses. When I look at the photos now from then I know he wasn't getting enough. Just saying this cause support is great but it can be misleading, it was for me. Just follow your gut and do what is right for your babe.

I'd go to a LC and get some help, maybe, that really helped us. Get the before - after feed weight check to put your mind at ease. Also remember that any BM is good, so if it
turns out you need to supplement a bit be sure to keep BF - it's so good for both of you. Good luck and keep up the good work!!
I can't afford $50 right now!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #36
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YOu can make your own feeder, for cheap.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1295204-maki...earing-almanac