Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
buttercups0147
Registered Users

NB Runny Green Stools

My 10-day old seems to have diarrhea. We spent the first few days using mostly formula before starting breastfeeding exclusively and he was fine and having normal stools. However, since we have started EBF, he has a ton of painful gas (the latch is fine) and green, runny stools that I assume are diarrhea. Has anyone else had this experience?

Advertisement

buttercups0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB Runny Green Stools

It could be caused by cow's milk in your diet, I've had experience with that. I've also read here that it might also be because he's getting too much foremilk.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

EBF stools are always frequent and runny...never even semi solid. As for the color, it could be mucus if he's having any sinus drainage, or it could be a lack of the fatty hindmilk.
Be sure to let him nurse whenever he wants and for as long as he wants on each side. Also make sure your calorie intake is adequate. You should be eating MORE than you did when you were pregnant, otherwise he'll get skim milk!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What you eat has nothing to do with how much fat is in your milk, sorry Pp but thta is true.

Yes eat because you need extra calories but not to increase the fat in your milk, that is a myth.

Breast babies don't usually have diarrea what you are experiencing is normqal breast baby poop.

Here is a great link to normal baby poop
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

green poop is not nessecarily a bed thing unless it lasts a long time. If there is mucous in the poop it could be from something you areeating that doesn't agree with baby such as dairy or soy, ...or it could be a hind/milk for milk imbalance...

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

Also here is a great link to knowing if baby is getting enough to eat.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

GOod to hear you have stopped the formula, great job, keep up the good work!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
buttercups0147
Registered Users

Thanks, ladies. I've been pumping today and giving him formula, and he's a happy camper. No screaming in pain from gas, and he hasn't been having 2+ green, watery painful poops after each feeding like he has for the last week. I'm still not sure what I'll do at this point, but I can't stand having my little boy in pain so often. I'm wondering if my prenatal vitamins or iron supplement my midwife had me on could be affecting him. I haven't taken them today or had any dairy products and plan to try nursing him again tomorrow to see if he's still having trouble. I love breastfeeding and know it's best for him, but if he's going to be distressed every time, it's just not worth it.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Taking dairy out may take a bit longer, like up to 3 weeks so don't give up.

I would get him off formula as fat as possible, here is a great link to read, you are right breast is what your baby needs.

If he is on a milk based formula and is doing ok, then it sounds like that isn't the problem, I would think maybe more of any over supply, imbalance
so you might try nursing him on only one side at each feed, So right side...then burp then right side again. At the next feedtry the left side for the whole feed.

http://www.got-breastmilk.org/Onebottlewillhurt.shtml

Even if the milk makes him fuss, it is fixable, the longer you wait to bring him to the breast theharder it may become so I would try nursing him through the night, even if he is uncomfortable for a few more days the breastmilk is better for his gut and immune system, eye development, brian cells, etc...there are tons of reasons to go with the breast, even if it is hard in the beginning, don't give up!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercups0147 View Post
Thanks, ladies. I've been pumping today and giving him formula, and he's a happy camper. No screaming in pain from gas, and he hasn't been having 2+ green, watery painful poops after each feeding like he has for the last week. I'm still not sure what I'll do at this point, but I can't stand having my little boy in pain so often. I'm wondering if my prenatal vitamins or iron supplement my midwife had me on could be affecting him. I haven't taken them today or had any dairy products and plan to try nursing him again tomorrow to see if he's still having trouble. I love breastfeeding and know it's best for him, but if he's going to be distressed every time, it's just not worth it.
Eliminating diary, for a truly sensitive baby, is more than just cutting out milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream. There is hidden dairy in all kinds of foods, and if your baby is really sensitive, even a little bit one day for you can cause him weeks of distress. Dairy hangs out in the system for a long, long time.

If you decide you want to eliminate dairy, you should probably get rid of all of it, including ingredients like casein, whey, milk solids, etc. in lots of foods.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

you're problem is probably a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. have you tried block feeding? too much foremilk can cause fussiness, gas, and green, watery, poop.

here's a link on block feeding http://www.mother-2-mother.com/blockfeeding.htm
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Reidaroo
Registered Users
seller

I agree with what was said about a possible milk imbalance. Is there any chance that you are having oversupply issues? My son had the same problem and it resolved after about 3 days of block feeding. It started about the same time as your baby too. I felt terrible since I was so proud of my milk production...and that was the cause of all of his tummy trouble!
Reidaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
buttercups0147
Registered Users

Thanks everyone! Removing my iron supplement seemed to help quite a bit. He's at least having regular stools part of the time. I'm also trying block feeding as well, out of necessity as I have a severely cracked nipple that just won't heal with him nursing. I'm supplementing with formula until that heals and hopefully we can move back to primarily breastfed. I'm hoping it will only take a couple of days, and I can't wait after being in pain for the past 2.5 weeks.

Thankfully, the kiddo really prefers the breast, so I'm not too concerned about giving him a bottle in the meantime, and since I'm still nursing on one side he's getting the immunological benefits as well.