Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

not wanting to nurse?

background:

My 7 month old DD is EBF. She gets solid food once a day, in the evening. I give her as much as she wants which usually doesn't end up being a whole lot (maybe the equivalent to 1/2-1 stage 1 jar). She's always been a good nurser; we've never had any issues. She usually nurses every 2ish hours during the day, and once or twice through the night. She's a very happy baby. She's smallish for her age (about 15lbs) but not abnormally so.

the problem:

She's suddenly acting like she's not interested in nursing. She's not fussy or acting hungry, but she's going hours (at least twice as long as normal) without eating. I try and she fusses, turns her head ... has no interest. I know sometimes it's just because she's distracted, but even taking her to a quiet room doesn't seem to make a difference. I've heard of "nursing strikes," but, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what that is . I'm a little concerned about my supply if she keeps this up. Should I pump? What will I do if she wants to nurse shortly after I pump and I don't have any milk left? She won't take a bottle.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether this is something that I should be at all concerned about. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: not wanting to nurse?

here is a great link on nusring strikes
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nursing strike. Do not let others tell you she is weaning. If you have a pump use it every 2 hours in the day to keep your supply up until she starts nursing again.

Try to nurse her in a dark room with minimal distractions. Or nurse her when she is sleepy or waking up.
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! She did a little better today. If she's not nursing normally by tomorrow, I guess I'll start pumping just to keep my supply up. My SIL keeps asking what I'm going to do if she just won't nurse anymore, and I keep telling her, "She's 7 months old. She will. I'm not giving her formula, so she's going to get pretty darn hungry!"

I think it's just a mixture of the fact that she's soooo distracted by every single thing around her, including noises in another room, she has an ear infection, and she's teething.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're having a strike here too. It started last night, he get po'd if I try to put him to me, pushes away and screams. I think it's due to teething. It's not really better yet, I pumped some, but he will only eat solids... What should I do so he gets more momma milk
Old 01-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how is she does?

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

here is another link for you