Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
mama0609
Banned
seller

Best way to pump to store as a SAHM with a baby nursing on demand?

X posted

My DS2 is 13 weeks old.. I've pumped off and on (more in the beginning to establish supply as we had issues)... I make what I would call 'just enough' ... How would I pump in a way as to increase my supply for storing but not go crazy with it to where I end up with oversupply? Is the best way to pump AFTER nursing him? I always seem to pump at the wrong times and then he wants to eat and gets mad because it's not as quickly available (it takes a loong time for multiple letdowns)...

I am a SAHM... I don't HAVE to pump. However, it'd be nice to have a small freezer stash again (I did at one point, 2.5 oz a day, and then I supplemented again for a bit) so that he can be fed my milk and not donor milk if I need to be away. And I've had supply issues, so it'd be nice to increase my supply a little bit more...

Is it too late to condition my body to pumping? I was getting about 2 oz a pump when I pumped between feeds. Should I schedule pumpings? Sometimes he's awake when I normally would pump, should I just feed him instead? I was thinking of pumping in tune with when I take my domperidone... 9am, noon, 6pm and then add in an overnight pumping at midnight or 2-3am...

I have an older pump in style... I like it better than the new PISA. It works just fine, if not better. I also have an Ameda but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Thanks!

Advertisement

mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best way to pump to store as a SAHM with a baby nursing on demand?

I haven't been exactly in your situation, I work and have to pump while at work but when I'm home I nurse on demand. I've also struggled with when is the right time to pump. I have had the best results pumping right after DS is done eating. That way I don't have to worry whether I have enough supply when he's ready to eat.

Don't worry it's not too late for you. You might not pump too much extra at the beginning but as you pump more often your supply will increase. I haven't had any issues with oversupply but I would think that if that happens you could just decrease the number of times you pump during the day.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would start single side nursing first feed of the morning when you have the most milk an dpump in the other side. Then if he still acts hungry let him finish off the pumped side. In a few days you will have plenty of milk to feed him and pump that one feed of the day.

That is how I pump to donate. Once baby is about 6 weeks old and my milk supply is going great and the newborn thrush we ALWAYS get is gone! lol
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
mama0609
Banned
seller

He nurses both sides every feeding... even overnight most of the time. Is still wise to pump one side while he's nursing knowing he's going to need that milk?

I think I'll need a hands free bra... He's very distractable too, not sure if I can pump one while nursing the other...
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
doesfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the best thing to do is pump after he eats. Then you will be building up your supply at the same time.
doesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote