Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Diaphragm - Anyone use one??

There doesn't seem to be a good forum for this, so I'll try here. Does anyone still use a diaphragm? Is it good/bad/what? From what I've read, it seems they are tough to get used to getting in, but other than that, any drawbacks? We're not ready to decide to be completely done, but I don't want another IUD and we don't like condoms.

Advertisement

kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaphragm - Anyone use one??

Draw backs, less spontaneity, but with kids that isn't such a big deal, a bit messy afterwards.

and My Dh said he could feel it, whatever.

otherwise no big deal.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Draw backs, less spontaneity, but with kids that isn't such a big deal, a bit messy afterwards.
l.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You need to use spermacide, and I think they are only 85%effective if memory serves. Plus if you're luckily like me, you can be allergic to spermacide
Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the interruption was a bit of a pain. dh would also get sore on his parts depending on where I was in my cycle due to the position of my cervix, and how often we were dtd. in terms of effectiveness it was great. no oops for us until our very last cycle before his vasectomy and we didn't use it because we were outside of my fertile zone. the other drawback that i found was the inability to find spermicide on a spontaneous basis. i always had to pre-plan and order it to be shipped to the pharmacy next day. apparently it is such a rarity for someone to use a diaphragm that the pharmacies around here don't keep it on the shelf.

I use the diva cup, so insertion/removal was not a problem to learn, but it does get slippery with the spermicide on it! there were many times that I thought I might drop it while trying, but luckily i never did. Overall, I would use it again!
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
smilyme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was using one when I got pregnant, and after having a baby, it is even less effective. I would say use it only as a back up method (in addition to the pill if you miss one, or something like that) or if having another baby would not be a big deal.

www.clothisgreen.com
smilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Hmm. I wish there was a better method! I had an IUD and don't want another one right now, condoms are not as fun, and I don't want to do anything hormonal. I've done a little research about NFP but my husband is not comfortable with that. But it seems kind of silly to go through the process and get fitted to have something that might be uncomfortable and not totally effective. Oh well, thanks for the info!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used one for a while-couple years. It was very effective. The only issue for me was that I was/am small framed so even the smallest diaphragm was still a bit large and the internal coil spring was very firm so it was very uncomfortable (they sell a more confortable one in Europe, but not here in the states). Because it was so large, it put pressure on my urethra a lot and I got a lot of UTI/bladder/kidney infections-what a pain! Also, the spermicides started to irritate me and I would get yeast/bv infections every couple of months. After dealing with being on antibiotics for all of this issues for what seemed like months at a time, we went to natural family planning which worked great for a year. We had one instance of intimacy during my fertile time, but it was nice knowing my body well enough to know IMMEDIATELY afterward that there was about a 99% chance I was pregnant-which I was-haha!
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I am using one. I didn't want to use hormonal birth control while breastfeeding, even the Mirena. I suggested the Paraguard IUD to my Gyn, but he said he wasn't a fan and suggested the diaphragm if I wanted non-hormonal bc. Seems fine to me.