Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
2babiesndiaps
Banned

Packing lunches

What do you pack for you hubby's for lunch. I'm trying to build DH self esteem and help him realize how much we care for him. I think this can be done by making his lunches for him. I used to do it and now he does it. He dreads even thinking about making it let alone actually doing it. I'm trying to come up with healthy diet friendly inexpensive yummy meals. Any ideas? What do you pack your husbands/yourselves? What do they enjoy? Thanks!

Advertisement

2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Our5boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Packing lunches

Does your DH have access to a fridge/ microwave/ toaster oven or anything at work? If you could tell us about what things he has available for keeping it cold or warming it up it might be a bit easier to give some ideas.
Our5boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

like pp said, what he has available will make a huge difference in what he can pack. My dh does not have access to a fridge or microwave (he's always on different job sites), so his lunches consist of a pb sandwich, a piece of fruit, a sweet treat, and then something crunchy.

The sweet treats are homemade cookies, granola bars and muffins (cheap), and Aldi brand peanut butter and snack bars (.99-$1.50 per box).
The fruit is usually an apple or banana. The crunchy thing is either tortilla chips, peanuts, pretzels, or crackers.

We also recently bought him an insulated cup and he brings milk to work everyday.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH has access to a microwave at his job, so he generally takes leftovers for lunch. Then for a morning snack, he takes some cereal and milk and in the afternoon has a piece of fruit-apple, orange or banana typically
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

I seriously love making lunches for DH (probably cause I'm a foodie) and he is not at all picky LOL. It really is a loving act for me and I imagine him eating it, and how he works so hard so that I can stay home with DD...and he thinks of us too when he eats his lunch and that is when I usually call him to check in. I kinda do bento style-ish to make it fun and decorative. He thinks it is cute and thoughtful when I arrange, cut, package things nice...this is all my idea.

So I usually do a salad loaded with lots of goodies depending on what we have: tomatoes, olives, feta or blue cheese, baby carrots, cucumber, artichoke hearts, palm hearts, hard boiled egg...it just depends. I include some crackers that day or some bread and little containers of dressing we toss together at home using olive oil, and balsamic vinegar or lemon juice with a bit of spices thrown in. Sometimes I will toss in leftover meat like chicken or some tuna.

I make him turkey sandwiches, sometimes tuna or PBJ. He also likes to have a mixed bag type thing where I give him an egg, and a container of shredded carrot salad, a few chopped tomatoes, some slices of cheese and some bread or crackers.

Those are the main dish type things. Then I always give him a yogurt, a fruit, and sometimes a small sweet...but not always because he isn't that into it and usually brings that back!
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
emmaegbert
Registered Users
seller

we send what we call "planned overs" many days- the parts of dinner that travel well. With a piece of fruit, some veggie sticks and cheese and/or hummos. Sometimes a modest sweet but we are eating relatively low-carb (low-grain, low-sugar) so not doing a lot of that. He seems happy with that.
emmaegbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
pahmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Everyone has good ideas. My husband works out of his work van so does not always have access to a microwave or anything like that. I plan on buying him a good thermos to send home made mac n cheese, soup, and stew in. He gets tired of sandwiches (and since the kids don't eat them, it is really an added expense).
pahmommy is offline   Reply With Quote