Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

to yummy pancake/waffle mix not to share, super easy

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup flax seed meal
2 cups buttermilk blend powder
1/2 cup sugar
8 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKES:
1 egg
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES:
3 eggs, separated
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

In large bowl mix 1st eight ingredients. Store in airtight container for up to six months.

To prepare pancakes: Heat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, beat egg, water and oil. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix. Let stand for 5 minutes. Pour batter pour in a greased/floured baking sheet. Bake 5-10mins, keeping a very close eye on the batter. It will cook quickly and vary greatly depending on humidity and ambient temp that day. They are done when light gold on top or toothpick in thickest part comes out clean. Cut into 12 slices for small pancakes, or 6 for large pancakes.

To prepare waffles: In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, water and oil. Stir in 2-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix just until moistened. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 13 waffles (about 4 inches) per batch

These are great for make ahead meals. After cooking/slicing, separate piece with wax paper, cool, put in freezer bag (removing as much air as possible), and freeze. They never last very long in our freezer, but I'm told they will be good for 6m. The pancakes can be reheated in the microwave or oven and the waffles are great out of the toaster. You can also mix fruits or chocolate chips into the batter for some super yummy treats. The waffles are delicious with some ice-cream and/or whipped cream for a tasty dessert as well. Though they have such a good flavor on their own a little honey or cinnamon sugar is all they really need.

Advertisement

Last edited by blackberry75; 12-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: to yummy pancake/waffle mix not to share, super easy

Thanks mama. Similar to one I use with a flaxseed bonus. I'll try it next time I make waffles.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
uptheleft
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried this recipe yesterday and just wanted to tell you it came out awesome! Thanks!
uptheleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheleft View Post
I tried this recipe yesterday and just wanted to tell you it came out awesome! Thanks!
That's great. I didn't know if anyone would be iterested. Personally, I like them better than mixes that only use all purpose flour. The whole wheat and flax combine just right for a richer, almost nutty flavor imo.

Another discovery I made is the pancakes can be used as a french toast like thing as well. I forgot to put them in the freezer the other day and didn't remember them until today. They weren't spoiled, but def. stale. Not wanting to waste them, I whipped up some eggs, milk and vanilla, dunked them in the mix and fried them up. Not the best french toast I've ever had, but it was still tasty with fruit compote on top.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to try this. Can I find flax seed meal and buttermilk blend powder at a local grocery store or walmart? where would the buttermilk blend powder be? I've never heard of that.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
blackberry75
Registered Users

I got both the flaxseed meal and the buttermilk powder at Kroger's. The flaxseed meal was in the health food/natural/organic section and the buttermilk powder was in the baking aisle near the condensed and evaporated milk. Both I had to look for because they weren't out in an obvious space, they where on bottom shelves almost like the store was trying to hide them.