Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

"im hungry"..."still hungry"....does the bottomless pit ever stop?

I don't know what to do.....my 3 year old says he's hungry all.the.time. no exaggeration...if there is a second that his attention is not focused in something...he'll tell you he's hungry. Even WHILE he's eating! I know hes not hungry all day long. but I hate saying no to that...and i feel like im judged for it around other people (our families disapprove of our vegetarianism...so ds's hungry phase is just an excuse for them to disapprove more.

Wwyd? Would you give him more and more food no matter what...would you cut him off? When?

We try saying he can have carrots and celery if he's being really insistent, sometimes it works and sometimes it starts abwhole new battle of "I'm hungry for something else"

Sometimes, it makes me want to pull my hair out...he just never stops...over and over and over again until you give him something.

Has anyone else gone through this...is he really just that hungry and I'm being horrible....

Advertisement

Last edited by harmoni247; 12-31-2010 at 03:52 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: "im hungry"..."still hungry"....does the bottomless pit ever stop?

When my kids do that, I first have them drink something. Very common for people (children and adults alike) to mistake thirst for hunger. Secondly, I look at what they are eating -- lots of good carbs, good proteins, or is it just filler food? Third, how has he been sleeping? If he's not sleeping well, his body is going to want energy from somewhere -- food.

As for offering him more and more food, I would offer him a choice or 2-3 items and if he's truly hungry, he'll eat one of them.

Oh, and how long has this been going on? Maybe he's getting ready to have a growth spurt?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:

no help here...but looking for an answer for my almost 7 yr old!!! he gets really irritable and hungry...a LOT!! we thought it would get better after his tonsils were out and was getting better sleep..but it didn't
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
kej
Registered Users
seller

My 3 yo is like this too. It's sooooo aggravating.
kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
When my kids do that, I first have them drink something. Very common for people (children and adults alike) to mistake thirst for hunger. Secondly, I look at what they are eating -- lots of good carbs, good proteins, or is it just filler food? Third, how has he been sleeping? If he's not sleeping well, his body is going to want energy from somewhere -- food.

As for offering him more and more food, I would offer him a choice or 2-3 items and if he's truly hungry, he'll eat one of them.

Oh, and how long has this been going on? Maybe he's getting ready to have a growth spurt?
Ya know...I don't pay much attention to thirst...that might be it. They have hippies always filled with water and drink it throughout the day...but maybe that's not enough. I think ill try offering that next time...thanks for the suggestion otherwise, he sleeps awesome, and generally eats healthy foods (not that we don't have pizza nights from time to time....) the only filler food I can think of is bread...he doesn't get it excessively, but asks for it constantly....
Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

A hard boiled egg, some milk and vegetables fill the 3 yr old the best here.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't found the magic food to fill up the hollow leg here either. DD Literally finished eating her food when she immediately said she was hungry 2 seconds later. I swear she's going to eat us out of house and home.

I only allow her to eat healthy foods and then I try to stop the constant grazing. Otherwise, I have no idea.

I don't think our issue is thirst, she has a sippy full of water or milk constantly with her. I think we're just dealing with a growth spurt...shoot, I bought 3T for this fall and she's already in 4T
Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats Dd she has hollow legs I swear. She gets down from the dinner table after eating and is hungry again I'm going to see if giving her more water helps.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is he getting enough good fats? I feel like I am always hungry if I'm not getting fat in my diet. I dunno, just a thought. Maybe try avocado, olive oil on stuff, even butter. I'm sure you do nuts since you're a vegetarian. Hmm...does a glass of milk help? Maybe whole milk?

In no way am I criticizing vegetarianism AT ALL. Promise. But if I eat a ton of veggies without getting enough protein or fats I also feel like a bottomless pit. The veggies fill me up for about 15 minutes. I am sure you do lots of protein but maybe he needs more to stay full? Just throwing ideas out there.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

He actually won't eat nuts except in nut butters or almond milk...we did just buy some avocado because I felt like I was slacking on the good fats lately...I never thought that would make him hungry though...and its been for a while now...we'll try avocado, more lentils and more water this weekend and see how that works. Thanks for all the suggestions

Last edited by harmoni247; 12-31-2010 at 09:41 PM.