Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cake

Allrecipes is great, I use it all the time! But I find some recipes work better for me than others... I was curious which specific recipe you were using though Hope your baking goes well tonight!

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
3sweetboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the temp and sifting. I love allrecipes too! I got that cook book by the "Cake Boss" on TLC, and I may try one of his cake recipes tonight.
3sweetboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
clothdiaperingdaddy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am curious as well as to what recipe i used, i made it 3 times and the last time i tossed it , when i tried to find it again on the web there were so many to choose from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Allrecipes is great, I use it all the time! But I find some recipes work better for me than others... I was curious which specific recipe you were using though Hope your baking goes well tonight!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
clothdiaperingdaddy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We watched all the cake boss' and that is what started this venture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetboys View Post
I agree with the temp and sifting. I love allrecipes too! I got that cook book by the "Cake Boss" on TLC, and I may try one of his cake recipes tonight.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

I love epicurious.com. Their recipes generally work, even if they are sometimes needlessly complicated. Also, their review system is quite helpful.

As an ex-pastry chef, I am going to guess your most likely mistake was over-mixing the batter after adding the flour. God knows that is what my husband always does, anyway.

TL: DR explanation, a little wandering, from my culinary school days:

Flour's protein component, gluten, when combined with a liquid and agitated, forms a ropy, connected structure on the minute level.

For bread dough, you want a lot of activated gluten, to give you a sturdy texture. The strong internal structure you build will support all that air that your yeast is going to make. Think of gluten as making "balloons" that hold in the expanding air as the yeast's carbon dioxide pushes to get out. The yeast makes gas slowly at room temperature, so if it takes a while for those "balloons" to relax into their filled state, so much the better. Thus, for bread, you use a high-gluten flour (bread), knead it a lot, and then wait a long time for it to rise.

For a cake, you want a delicate crumb. You don't want gluten to be the major component of your structure. Cake leavening expands rapidly, in the oven. Gluten, which flexes at room temp, hardens too quickly in the oven, and can actually keep your rapidly expanding gases in, and your cake flat. Thus you use a low gluten flour (cake) and try not to overmix.

(Further, if you are using a recipe that gets its gas from whipped eggs, over-mixing will knock out the air from your recipe.)

Note that this varies from recipe to recipe - a few recipes, and most box-mixes, will want you to whip up the completed batter for several minutes. It all comes down to proportions, in the end. In my experience, though, the tendency of box mixes to require strenuous whipping of the completed batter gives people the wrong idea about most cake baking.

Anyway - hope this is somewhat useful, or at least interesting!
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote