Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
jennpink
Registered Users

Need help!! Mastitis & Yeast Infections :(

My DD is 12 weeks old. I've been EBP for 10 weeks. About 8 weeks ago I got mastitis. Dr. gave me an AB to clear it up. As soon as it was gone I got a yeast infection (didn't spread to DD since she's not actually on the breast.) Dr. gave me 3 wks of Diflucan and I used gentian violet. Infection didn't go away. Next they had me use GV again, drink green tea, take probiotics and put monistat cream on. (I also sterilize pumping supplies daily.) That [I]almost[I] got rid of the yeast, but then I got mastitis AGAIN!!!! Dr. gave me AB, got rid of mastitis, now the dang yeast is back. GRRR.

Honestly, after all this terrible breast pain I am VERY close to switching to formula. This is distressing to me, but between the fact that DD won't actually breastfeed (have gotten lots of help from multiple LCs) and the pain and the fact that my breasts just WON'T get healthy, I am at my wit's end!!!

All this to say, anyone have some advice for me on how to get rid of this nasty yeast? Or anyone have a similar experience and get through it? Thanks....

Advertisement

jennpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help!! Mastitis & Yeast Infections :(

What about new horns or boiling the hornes, washing with GSE (your breast pads) and hot water? I'm sorry you are having such a hard time!
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Chickymom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow, sorry for all the troubles you've had. Diflucan always cleared the yeast right up for me, but I was diligent about sterilizing everything that came near my breasts for at least 2 weeks until it was for sure gone. Breast pads, bras, bath towels, all pumping equipment, everything but the baby . One help for the mastitis is lecithin. It helps with plugged ducts and I've read also mastitis. The LC clued me in on it and I've not had any problems since. Hope this helps. Hang in there mama!

BFeeding, CD'ing, no circumcising, PPAnxiety ridden, baby food makin' crazy person.
Chickymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
mrsdavewebber
Registered Users

My Mood:

I battled both Mastitis and yeast in both breasts at the same time for 17 weeks. It took me being on antibiotics (10 days) and 150mg's of Diflucan daily for THREE weeks to finally kick the infections out. My lactation consultant did warn me that reoccurrance of Mastitis is common, and when I needed to treat the Mastitis that I would also always need to ask for Diflucan as well. I will say, as a PP said before, that taking a probiotic did help, as did Jack Neuman's nipple cream (made only at a compound pharmacy.).

I'm so sorry that you are struggling with these infections! Stay strong, there is a light at the end of your tunnel!
mrsdavewebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
jaimeekhan
Registered Users
seller

I found myself in the same cycle, except I don't pump a whole lot. I actually found that if I take a probiotic every day, it keeps the yeast at bay. I found also that alot of what I thought was mastitis had more to do with the yeast and my bra than real mastitis. So, I took the last round of antibiotics to be sure the mastitis was cleared up and took a probiotic all thru it. Then continued with the probiotic even after the AB was finished and still take one daily. I just found that gentene violet and diflucan just stop what is going on, but a probiotic prevents it from coming back. good luck, mama. I know it's frustrating...
jaimeekhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are u using reusable nursing pads? If so, you need to de-yeast them, I think u can use vinegar to kill it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
gatorgrle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when i bfd my first, i took azo yeast, and it only took one round of mastitis to know i didnt want that again. what i found worked for that is i examined my breasts every day like a breast exam, and if i felt a blockage beginning, i got in as hot a shower i could manage, and pressed. got some bad one and it hurt like u know what but i never got mastitis again.