Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone received donated milk?

I just started doing a bit of research into donated milk as I know I am going to need probably a day's worth when I have my next child. I will have to have a scan of some type (either CT or PET/CT) right after I have my next child so to me that means pump and dump for about 24 hours.

I produced a good supply for my son so I am not worried about scans after that as I could pump enough to last for my next scan after that.

However everything I am reading is on donating milk (something I can't do now) and not receiving milk. Is this something that only the doctor can prescribe or how does it work? My child will be in the NICU odds are (haven't had one not go there yet, but watch my highest risk pregnancy will end in well baby ).

I know the lactation person and even NICU nurses at the hospital I deliver at. And obviously I could ask my peri when the time comes. However I like to have a plan, though odds are this can wait as I will time on my hands then too.

Thank you for any help!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone received donated milk?

the ladies on here have made a fb page I believe for this since we do not alow milk donation here on DS (sticky at top of forum ). I`m sure you`ll find a ton of info from this group

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1096636
stephy4632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would find out about a RX for donor milk in the hospital and that would come from babies Dr most likely.

I donate milk to the milk bank in our area for babies just like yours
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, I had a ct/pet with contrast and didn't have to pump and dump at all. FIrst of all, the isotopes degrade overtime, so you could pump and save the milk and use it at a later date. Secondly, most isotopes have a half life of 3-6 hours, so that's really not a long time. Probably 2-3 bottle feedings of no more than 2 oz at a time for a brand spanking new baby.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry if it seems I was trying to solicit I am not. I don't even know when I would need the milk and if I deliver WAY early again I wouldn't need it at all.

Mystic thank you for the information. I plan on getting the scan before I leave the hospital as I have to have a c-section anyway (they also have a PET/CT scanner there). I guess I will contact the lactation person I know and tell her my situation when the time comes. She will help me and tell me what Neonatologist I should talk to about this (all babies see the neonatologist regardless if they are NICU or well baby).

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try MilkShare and find a local mom willing to donate when the time comes or get some frozen to thaw when you have your little one.

PM me if you want more specific info. I've donated to "local" babies. See siggy.

Good luck!

Last edited by Barbarap; 01-02-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Jennifer! I'm glad to see you are doing well. I stalk you a little. You can get donated milk from a few places. Milkshare.com is a great one. Also, try the FB group called Eats On Feets. Both are just moms like you either looking to receive or donate. It's informal. You could probably find someone to do a one-time donation for you. Also, if you contact your local LLL they may have someone who would be glad to give you a one time donation also. The other option is if you have any friends who will be BF'ing at the same time (with a young baby), ask if they would be willing to pump a little for you. With a baby just a few days old, I imagine you would only need 10 oz or even less depending on how long you would have you can't nurse. Babies only a few days old take less than an oz per feeding. So, really, it shouldn't be tough to find someone to give you that. I've donated in the past. If I were in a position to do it, I would easily get you that much. Just look around and ask around. Good luck!!! I wish you all the best and a happy healthy baby very soon!

ETA - How long do you think you will have to not nurse? I really think if it's in the first couple days, you might not need anything at all. I don't know anything about those scans though or how long they take, etc.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heather you may be cycling with me again when the time comes. I am shooting for the FET in Aug. 2012.

Thank you for the information. As it stands right now there is no one that I know that will be living in this country when I am pregnant again that is going to be having another child. The one person that might have been pregnant again is moving in June to SE asia.

I also have to wonder if Milk has to be tested or something in order to be used in the NICU. I know when my daughter died they wanted me to donate her unused milk and I almost did, but I was not EXTREMELY sterile in collecting the milk those last few days ( it really was the LAST thing on my mind). So I didn't donate it. As silly as it sounds, I still have frozen BF left over from my son. It is at least a year old but I can't get rid of it because it is my little reminder that I will have a child again.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

You should also find out which isotopes they use at that hospital and find out as much as you can. dr hale has a whole forum on isotopes and lactation. can you find a local "ap" group? those mamas are always willing to donate a few ounces.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where would one look for a local AP group? I am looking for playmates for my son as his only friends that he sees regularly are moving (see above). I don't do 100% AP but I am close.

I assume that you mean the Isotopes in the contrast/dye that they use for my scan right? I could get that from my oncologist I would assume.