Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Penniless's Avatar
Penniless
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
How much do radishes cost?

I'm wondering- how much do radishes cost at the moment where you live? Are they a frugal buy at the moment, or are they overpriced?

Advertisement

__________________
Breastfeeding Lactivist, BLW, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Selective and Delayed Vaxing, Chemical Free, Hope to be Homesteading, Extremely Frugal, SAHM to Eli (Sept 07) and Sammy (Sept 09)
PennilessParenting.comTips and recipes for moms like you!
Penniless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
neatokimmo's Avatar
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
My Mood:
Re: How much do radishes cost?

$1.50-2.50 per 8 ounce bag. Way overpriced, for $2.50 you can get 2 large heads of broccoli instead.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Penniless's Avatar
Penniless
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatokimmo View Post
$1.50-2.50 per 8 ounce bag. Way overpriced, for $2.50 you can get 2 large heads of broccoli instead.
They're not in season there? Or thats the "in season" price? Whats the lowest price they ever reach?
__________________
Breastfeeding Lactivist, BLW, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Selective and Delayed Vaxing, Chemical Free, Hope to be Homesteading, Extremely Frugal, SAHM to Eli (Sept 07) and Sammy (Sept 09)
PennilessParenting.comTips and recipes for moms like you!
Penniless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Manna00's Avatar
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Western, Virginia
Posts: 29,986
My Mood:
Re: How much do radishes cost?

All's I know is that I grew them this summer (you're supposed to plant them with cucumbers to keep bugs away) and I could not GIVE the things away around here. I'm not a fan of them, either...so a lot went straight into the compost bin.
__________________
Come "like" The Screaming Penny on Facebook HERE Groupon Eversave
Discover Swagbucks (FAQ) then join Swagbucks
[B]
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
neatokimmo's Avatar
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
My Mood:
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniless View Post
They're not in season there? Or thats the "in season" price? Whats the lowest price they ever reach?
I don't ever recall them being under $1.50. They aren't very popular here.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
neatokimmo's Avatar
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
My Mood:
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
All's I know is that I grew them this summer (you're supposed to plant them with cucumbers to keep bugs away) and I could not GIVE the things away around here. I'm not a fan of them, either...so a lot went straight into the compost bin.
Interesting, did it work? I am planting cucumbers this year to make pickles.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Penniless's Avatar
Penniless
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
All's I know is that I grew them this summer (you're supposed to plant them with cucumbers to keep bugs away) and I could not GIVE the things away around here. I'm not a fan of them, either...so a lot went straight into the compost bin.
Interesting. I never was a fan of radishes either, until I discovered some terrific recipes, and now I'm a convert! I am running a radish recipe carnival on my blog, giving tasty radish recipes. I was inspired because they're dirt cheap round these parts at the moment- I got them for 12 cents a pound- but no one knows what to do with them, so I wanted to share some terrific ideas. (And yes this is from someone who used to pick them out of salads because they "tasted nasty".)
__________________
Breastfeeding Lactivist, BLW, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Selective and Delayed Vaxing, Chemical Free, Hope to be Homesteading, Extremely Frugal, SAHM to Eli (Sept 07) and Sammy (Sept 09)
PennilessParenting.comTips and recipes for moms like you!
Penniless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,820
Re: How much do radishes cost?

We got radishes from the CSA recently; I made this radish-top soup:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Radish-...up/Detail.aspx

One of my best soups ever!
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
neatokimmo's Avatar
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
My Mood:
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniless View Post
Interesting. I never was a fan of radishes either, until I discovered some terrific recipes, and now I'm a convert! I am running a radish recipe carnival on my blog, giving tasty radish recipes. I was inspired because they're dirt cheap round these parts at the moment- I got them for 12 cents a pound- but no one knows what to do with them, so I wanted to share some terrific ideas. (And yes this is from someone who used to pick them out of salads because they "tasted nasty".)
12 cents a pound - I'd probably try to eat them too. $3-5 a pound - no way lol
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Penniless's Avatar
Penniless
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
Re: How much do radishes cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
We got radishes from the CSA recently; I made this radish-top soup:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Radish-...up/Detail.aspx

One of my best soups ever!
Unfortunately, radishes here come without the greens!
__________________
Breastfeeding Lactivist, BLW, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Selective and Delayed Vaxing, Chemical Free, Hope to be Homesteading, Extremely Frugal, SAHM to Eli (Sept 07) and Sammy (Sept 09)
PennilessParenting.comTips and recipes for moms like you!
Penniless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.