Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
armywifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

Freezing BM- Can I use anything but bags??

Is there anything else I can use that won't cost so much? The bags seem pretty expensive. Baby Food Jars maybe? What about ziploc freezer bags? So far I've only used the avent storage deals or a few brands of the bags. My baby will be scheduled to come about 6-8 wks early and breastfeeding yet another preemie will undoubtably be a challenge yet again so I plan on pumping constantly and storing as much as I can that he doesn't use. Thanks so much!

Advertisement

armywifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
karasmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Freezing BM- Can I use anything but bags??

once reason to use the bags is because they are sealed off so they are clean and as "sterile" as you will get it. They are BPS free as well...PlusCan you check on ebay for deals? I am sure people are selling left overs...
Especially if this is for a preemie I dont think you should mess with other then recommended storage
karasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
karasmom
Registered Users
seller

once reason to use the bags is because they are sealed off so they are clean and as "sterile" as you will get it. They are BPS free as well...PlusCan you check on ebay for deals? I am sure people are selling left overs...
Especially if this is for a preemie I dont think you should mess with other then recommended storage
karasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can pour the bm into ice cube trays and freeze it that way. You get about an oz a cube that way.

Also, walmart sells lansinoh bags- much cheaper than bru
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
armywifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

I've bought bags at walmart and kmart so far. They are still pricy though. I think I'm going to start stockpiling ice cube trays with lids and do it that way.
armywifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
lindsayinpa
Registered Users
seller

Regular freezer ziploc bags are a no. They aren't thick enough.
lindsayinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
notinoz
Registered Users
seller

I joined amazon.com mom and subscribed (lansinoh bags). The bags are about 30% cheaper than Walmart. I also finally started putting 6 oz in the bags instead of the 3 I was using.

Playtex makes a drop in storage system with caps and rings that use the drop ins bags and go into the freezer. I froze some and then removed the rings and dropped them into freezer bags. I went back to the bags because of storage space issues.

Last edited by notinoz; 01-02-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added text
notinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
mama0609
Banned
seller

I've had donors use baby food jars before... Never an issue and it's not much different than using a bottle. With a preemie, you may want to be more careful though...

You could use bottles... they'd at least be re-useable!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
charscreations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ice cube trays sound like a good idea, I know ziplock bags are BPA free, but they aren't thick enough and it would be really awkward to fill them... maybe thats just me though. My lansinoh bags stand easier and seal easier.
charscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
mason825
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinoz View Post
I joined amazon.com mom and subscribed (lansinoh bags). The bags are about 30% cheaper than Walmart. I also finally started putting 6 oz in the bags instead of the 3 I was using.

Playtex makes a drop in storage system with caps and rings that use the drop ins bags and go into the freezer. I froze some and then removed the rings and dropped them into freezer bags. I went back to the bags because of storage space issues.
THANK YOU!! I ran out of rings/lids for that Playtex system, and i was about to go out and buy bags-good suggestion, thanks!