Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Goldie_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dr's want to induce! HELP!

I haven't been part of a forum on this site, just mainly used the FSOT to build my stash of dipes. But I need help! Here's my pregnancy story in a nutshell.
-Been trying to have a baby for 3 years, couldn't get past 10-11 weeks, I had 7 chemicals/miscarriages. (unsure exactly which losses were chemical/viable losses. The navy won't see you until you get to 12 weeks, but I never made it that far)
-Finally get to a civilian Dr and get pregnant and it sticks! I'm 39 weeks this thursday. Besides history of early pregnancy loss, only other high risk factor is gestational diabetes (insulin dependent, which has been under complete control, and for the last month I've not needed ANY insulin to control sugars)
-Doing 2x weekly nst's all normal and AFI's, fluid and placenta are in great shape. At 36 weeks baby weighed just over 6 lbs, so NOT a big baby!

They still want to induce me however. Even though all the possible risk factors are minimal as far as I can tell, or as far as anyone will explain it to me. I know the GD makes it more like for me to have complications, but I'm testing negative for all of them, so why are they still pushing it? At my last apt my dr tried to strip my membranes while checking my cervix! Without my permission. I don't feel like I can trust this office at ALL and my hubby just wants me to shut up and stop arguing the with the dr's. He's a military guy so he's all about taking orders....I like to do research to make sure I make an informed choice and I feel like I'm getting bullied by everyone.

Sorry for the rant. I was part of a forum with other women due same time as I am, and we are all considered high risk. The forum has been down for over a month now and I really wish I could talk to them. Mom's gone and everyone else thinks Dr's are infallible so they think I'm a moron for asking questions.

Can anyone help me compose a counter argument other than unless my life or the life of my son is at risk I want to go into labor when my body says its time??

Advertisement

Last edited by Goldie_Mom; 01-02-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Goldie_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Goldie_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr's want to induce! HELP!

I would like to say that if any thing were to change, and my risk or risk to my son went up I would be the first one to tell the dr to go grab a scapel. But if everything is as it should be inducing will only raise my odds of having to use meds and or have a cesarean. So it seems wrong to opt to do something that will raise fetal distress when there isnt any to begin with... Does this make me sound crazy??
Goldie_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask them for their research and evidence based practices and don't go to the hospital until you are ready and in labor. Nobody can make you induce, they can use scare tactics all they want but you are in charge and if you don't want to go, don't. I had GD with my last two AND was a VBAC with this last one and although I did choose to be induced at 41 weeks, I still made sure it was my choice not the doctors (they wanted to induce at 39). I was in labor when I went in anyway.
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
iluvmyortiz1122
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just make it known that you don't want to be induced. Like PP said, they can't make you! As long as you know you're healthy and not in any danger, just say no. There's no reason you shouldn't get what you want and this case, just make it known.
I know doctors tend to get over zealous, often because it works better for their schedule. But this baby should come on its own, not the doctor's time.
I guess I'm confused why you can't use the argument you have--that you just don't see a need to be induced.

iluvmyortiz1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask what your Bishop's Score is. Induction is likely to fail if your cervix is still long and closed, etc.
Also just keep in mind that you can say no! Really. You can even smile and nod and not show up
Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell them that you want them to follow ACOG guidelines, and do not want to be induced without a valid medical reason prior to 41 weeks. Tell them you do not want an elective induction.

Ultimately it's your body and your baby. They can't force you into the hospital when they say it's time.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All the previous posters have great advice. And if they're being super pushy, let them make the induction appt and then just don't go. They won't come to your house to get you.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would straight out ask them why they want to do it. Make the doctor justify it to you. And if you like his answer, go for it. And if you don't, calmly tell him you'll be happy to be induced at 41 weeks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Ask what your Bishop's Score is. Induction is likely to fail if your cervix is still long and closed, etc.
Also just keep in mind that you can say no! Really. You can even smile and nod and not show up
Studies show that you need a Bishop's score of at least 5 (and some say 8) to have a good chance at a successful induction. Definitely find out what your Bishop's score is. It is not really that easy for a first-time mom to get to 5+, especially before 40 weeks! You need time!

Remember also that the median length of a first pregnancy left to the baby to decide when to be born is 41w 1d, so even being 40 weeks and some days does not make you a ticking time bomb. If NSTs are showing everything is fine, I would just wait for baby to decide when to arrive. If NSTs start to get worrisome, then you can reevaluation the situation.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be bullied! Listen to your instincts! Good luck!