Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr's want to induce! HELP!

just say no. if the doc is adamant ask to have your membranes stripped then go home and DTD

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Goldie_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I'm sorry if I sounded whiny in my post. Just so overwhelmed and then when I tried to talk to my husband about it he was no help. I will be asking about the bishop score, that was something I didn't know so always good to go in armed with more info. Basically the last few times the subject has come up it came down to a staring match between the Dr and myself. She expected me to go for it just because she said we should do it, and when I asked why, she got irritated, said there might be complications that would warrant it. I ask if there actually were any complications to be concerned about from the tests and she didn't even look. If she had she would have noticed they weren't doing the AFI's with the NST's once a week like they were supposed to have been since 30 weeks. At that point I was 35 weeks... To say the least I'm not really confident in her... I'm going to try to switch to another dr in the same office. They all pass patients anyway, so I can't see it being too big of a problem.

Having the hubby basically tell me to not make any more waves and listen to the dr was just so infuriating! It's my baby and my body that is going to have to go through this and he hasn't exactly been the most supportive. I bet he'd feel differently if they were trying to talk him into an elective surgery... At least I did win the c-section argument. I told them I was dead set against it unless absolutely necessary. That's something, lol.
Goldie_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hugs mama. Stay strong and know that you're doing what's right for you AND your baby.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

Hugs, you have great advice, you know whats best for your baby and don't let anyone else tell you to do something you're not comfortable with!!!!

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

It can be really intimidating to try to go "against the grain" and question what you (we all - to some degree) see as an "authority figure". Just that in itself is a very hard thing to do and requires bravery.

So, for that I give you big props!!!

Now, it sounds to me that you are very educated about all of this, and that you have formed some very educated opinions based on your research. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that just b/c a doctor has a degree does NOT mean they are any smarter than you are. Sorry to say but MANY doctors do things out of tradition, or out of egotism, with no sound medical evidence backing their decision. (for example - not eating in labor, pushing lying on your back, cervical checks prior to the start of labor, etc)

YOU are your best health advocate - during pregnancy, birth, and every other moment of your lifetime. YOU are the best person to reasearch your options, research your health issues, and make good decisions WITH a caring, understanding, and informed doctor. Any doctor who is not willing to question themselves (IMO) or explain a valid reason for performing any procedure, cannot practice medicine fairly.

Don't let yourself be bullied into feeling like you are "just a layperson". You are an intelligent person, fully capable of making good choices about your healthcare, and you deserve valid, sound reasons for allowing a doctor to perform any procedure.

This idea that somehow a degree from a medical school makes a doctor a god with absolute authority, never to be questioned is simply ridiculous. Don't fall into that mindset.

All I can do is offer and tell you to stick with your decisions. There are a number of people who are induced/sectioned EVERDAY who wind up with babies that need help breathing b/c while doctors thought their lungs were mature, they weren't mature enough. Or, people get induced/sectioned b/c of a "too big" baby and their babies wind up being normal sized.

In adddition to that, induction raises your risk for having a c/s by a TON (I don't rememebr the exact statistic, but you could find it easily, I'm sure). And, a c/s is a major abdominal surgery, with real risks. Also keep in mind that a c/s can seriously affect your ability to conceive and birth any future children. These are some things to seriously consider before consenting to an induction/section.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

It can be really intimidating to try to go "against the grain" and question what you (we all - to some degree) see as an "authority figure". Just that in itself is a very hard thing to do and requires bravery.

So, for that I give you big props!!!

Now, it sounds to me that you are very educated about all of this, and that you have formed some very educated opinions based on your research. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that just b/c a doctor has a degree does NOT mean they are any smarter than you are. Sorry to say but MANY doctors do things out of tradition, or out of egotism, with no sound medical evidence backing their decision. (for example - not eating in labor, pushing lying on your back, cervical checks prior to the start of labor, etc)

YOU are your best health advocate - during pregnancy, birth, and every other moment of your lifetime. YOU are the best person to reasearch your options, research your health issues, and make good decisions WITH a caring, understanding, and informed doctor. Any doctor who is not willing to question themselves (IMO) or explain a valid reason for performing any procedure, cannot practice medicine fairly.

Don't let yourself be bullied into feeling like you are "just a layperson". You are an intelligent person, fully capable of making good choices about your healthcare, and you deserve valid, sound reasons for allowing a doctor to perform any procedure.

This idea that somehow a degree from a medical school makes a doctor a god with absolute authority, never to be questioned is simply ridiculous. Don't fall into that mindset.

All I can do is offer and tell you to stick with your decisions. There are a number of people who are induced/sectioned EVERDAY who wind up with babies that need help breathing b/c while doctors thought their lungs were mature, they weren't mature enough. Or, people get induced/sectioned b/c of a "too big" baby and their babies wind up being normal sized.

In adddition to that, induction raises your risk for having a c/s by a TON (I don't rememebr the exact statistic, but you could find it easily, I'm sure). And, a c/s is a major abdominal surgery, with real risks. Also keep in mind that a c/s can seriously affect your ability to conceive and birth any future children. These are some things to seriously consider before consenting to an induction/section.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO if your doctor is that set on induction, I wouldn't let her do vag checks at all. You run the risk of "accidental" rupture, "accidental" membrane stripping AND they don't tell you when you will go into labor.

ETA: You don't sound whiney in your post at all!

Last edited by bbraymom; 01-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, they couldn't have stripped your membranes if your cervix weren't at least a little favorable. I would assume they want to induce because they are worried the baby will be big? Why not let them do a measurement US (thought they aren't all that accurate) and go from there??
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
Well, they couldn't have stripped your membranes if your cervix weren't at least a little favorable. I would assume they want to induce because they are worried the baby will be big? Why not let them do a measurement US (thought they aren't all that accurate) and go from there??
If I am reading her post correctly, they did an u/s and the measurement was 6lbs at 36 wks... which is not that big. But I could be reading it wrong.

I also, personally, don't see the point in trying to negotiate with them to let them do an u/s for size. U/s measurements of babies sizes can be off as much as 2lbs in either direction. IMO, it would be just one more thing they could possibly use to pressure the OP for an induction.

OP, considering that you have not needed insulin to control your sugars for the past few weeks, I can't imagine why size of your baby would be an issue. If your sugars levels were CRAZY high through the last weeks of your pregnancy, than I could see it being alarming - since baby gains a lot of weight during that time, but with a normal sugar level, there's no reason to assume that your baby is gaining more weight than any other baby in a normal, healthy pregnancy.

OP, I also wanted to suggest that you do some research on gestational diabetes itself. From my own research, and my "google degree" I think GD is extremely over-diagnosed. Some studies even suggest that mothers who are put on a strict GD diet fare no better than mothers who do not have GD at all. Consider, too that different doctor's offices have different levels of what they constitute to be a diagnosis for GD. So, my doctor may say a level of 135 after the glusoce test means GD, but your doctor may say a level of 140 means GD, while Jane Doe's doctor says that a patient with a level of 145 has GD. Compunding this is the fact that different doctors have different protocols for the test - some say to fast, others say to eat, some make you eat certain foods, others have you avoid certain things but otherwise eat normally.....

I am in NO WAY suggesting you do not have GD, but what I AM saying is that given the current testing protocols for GD, it is entirely possible (I say probable) that MANY women are diagnosed as having it when they do not. You may want to do some of your own research and see how it all applies to you in your specific situation.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-03-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
If I am reading her post correctly, they did an u/s and the measurement was 6lbs at 36 wks... which is not that big. But I could be reading it wrong.

I also, personally, don't see the point in trying to negotiate with them to let them do an u/s for size. U/s measurements of babies sizes can be off as much as 2lbs in either direction. IMO, it would be just one more thing they could possibly use to pressure the OP for an induction.

OP, considering that you have not needed insulin to control your sugars for the past few weeks, I can't imagine why size of your baby would be an issue. If your sugars levels were CRAZY high through the last weeks of your pregnancy, than I could see it being alarming - since baby gains a lot of weight during that time, but with a normal sugar level, there's no reason to assume that your baby is gaining more weight than any other baby in a normal, healthy pregnancy.

OP, I also wanted to suggest that you do some research on gestational diabetes itself. From my own research, and my "google degree" I think GD is extremely over-diagnosed. Some studies even suggest that mothers who are put on a strict GD diet fare no better than mothers who do not have GD at all. Consider, too that different doctor's offices have different levels of what they constitute to be a diagnosis for GD. So, my doctor may say a level of 135 after the glusoce test means GD, but your doctor may say a level of 140 means GD, while Jane Doe's doctor says that a patient with a level of 145 has GD. Compunding this is the fact that different doctors have different protocols for the test - some say to fast, others say to eat, some make you eat certain foods, others have you avoid certain things but otherwise eat normally.....

I am in NO WAY suggesting you do not have GD, but what I AM saying is that given the current testing protocols for GD, it is entirely possible (I say probable) that MANY women are diagnosed as having it when they do not. You may want to do some of your own research and see how it all applies to you in your specific situation.
I'll just keep Kiliki!