Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Dr's want to induce! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I'll just keep Kiliki!
LOL thanks! gosh I feel so special.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have GD for the third time this pregnancy. When I had to the first time, I was afraid of having a large baby. I asked the OB what would they do if they though the baby was large as I was close to term. I really liked her answer, she didn't seem to think induction was the catch all answer. She said "You are more likely to end up with a c-section by being induced too early, than by having a big baby". I'm glad she didn't say, "If we think the baby is big we'll induce so it doesn't get too big", iykwim. IMO, if your NST are turning up fine, and your blood sugars are under control, without other complications, I would not induce.

ETA- DD2 and DD3 were under 7lbs even though I had GD, which was well controlled. I was on meds w/ DD2 and on insulin w/ DD3, as well as this pregnancy.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 01-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do what you want! Things seem fine. Don't let them push you into a induction that very well might turn into a Csection.

My BFF was induced with her first, was in labor for 3 days before they decided to do the Csection. I'm scared to death of Inductions. (and I've had 2 of them!! lol)
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oops. nm.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
Tell them that you want them to follow ACOG guidelines, and do not want to be induced without a valid medical reason prior to 41 weeks. Tell them you do not want an elective induction.

Ultimately it's your body and your baby. They can't force you into the hospital when they say it's time.

If your GD is under control, there is no reason for you to be induced. Hang in there mama.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
Ola_
Registered Users

Don't let them bully you mama! That is exactly what they are doing and it makes me so mad. I agree with the poster who said to refuse more cervical checks until you go into labour - they don't tell you anything anyway and I've heard far too many stories of doctors doing stretch/sweep or breaking membranes without the patient's consent ("oops, well you were about to go into labour anyway, I'm just doing you a favour").

Being induced, whether you end up with a c-section or still manage a vaginal birth, is much harder on your body and on your baby. Those induced contractions are extra strong and often result in fetal distress, that's why you have to be monitored when you're induced. Don't let them push you into it.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, just tell them no. Or let them schedule the appt, and then don't go. But make sure they know that you are saying no. I'm a push-over sometimes, and even though I go home and rant and rave, I try to be polite to the DR and that has never worked well for me.

I was not high risk, but my son would have been overdue if I didn't get induced on his due date. I tried to put myself into labor because I was miserable, and labor tuckered out at the hospital. I had the option of being induced with pitocin, and took it. NEVER again! So painful, hard labor even with an epidural.. and my recovery was awful because my body wasn't ready yet. Everything was swollen 10x their normal size, and I was miserable.

Last labor came on all naturally at 38wks, and I had a drug-free, natural delivery, barely making it to the hospital in time (even thought it was a LONG labor). My recovery was excellent, and I am doing a home birth this time so I don't have rude, arrogant, mean DR's telling me what to do.

Just do what you feel is right. A mother's intuition (about anything) is always right. Atleast I believe that.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #28
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If all of the tests are showing that you and your baby are doing fine, I would just tell them no. I understand how pushy Drs. can be, as I had two come into the room when I was 37 weeks and push me for induction. It is your body and your baby. Stand your ground and tell them you won't consider induction unless you are past 41 weeks. If you and the baby are looking good, you have no reason to deliver before you are ready. Good luck Mama.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you should find a different practice and get a second opinion.

I had a very similar experience with my birth. I was diagnosed with .... advanced maternal age (37 yo) and was told by my mw at 20 weeks I would probably be induced at 38 weeks. I ignored her thinking that can't be right, I have NOTHING wrong with me or high risk.

Every time I saw her she would tell me to be prepared to be induced when NOTHING was causing this to be recommended.At 38 weeks, with no medical indications, she said let's schedule an induction, which I declined.

And guess what? I was induced at 41 weeks after having to battle with her for 3 weeks. At the hospital, with a Bishop's score of 3, she told me for 3 days that she thought it would probably be a c-section. By the end of my experience with her, I despised her and wished that she wasn't in the room with me. I did have a vaginal birth without complications, but her entire approach ruined my birth experience. I am angry that her name appears on my child's birth certificate.

I regret not contacting another provider at 38weeks. I let things like "I've already paid them" , "I don't know who will take a 38 weeker" and my general anxiety override my intuition that my MW had her interests, rather then mine, in the fore front of her thinking.

You need to trust your provider when the going gets tough. If you don't trust him/her now, it will only get worse as the stakes get higher.

At the least, if you second opinion tells you the same thing, then you have the information you need to make your decisions.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

You've gotten some good advice. You are well within your rights to say NO. I would flat out tell them that they need to provide you with a valid medical reason for induction otherwise you're going to wait until baby is ready or 41 weeks as the ACOG recommends.

All of your tests are coming back as normal, and just because it's "standard practice" in their practice to induce high risk patients at 39 weeks doesn't mean it's best for you and your baby.

Also, if you feel that your doctor isn't going to respect your wishes because you're not doing as they want...shop around for a new doctor or get a second opinion.

GL