Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success??

We had to unexpectedly introduce a bottle at one week for supplementation and DD took it fine and transitioned back to almost exclusive bf. She gets a bottle once or twice a week and nurses the rest of the time. Sometimes the bottle is pumped milk, sometimes it is formula, she takes them both just fine. We started with the Avent wide-base and recently swithced to Dr Brown's wide-base. The Dr Browns work really well for us. I go back to work next week (DD will be 13 weeks) and hope for a smooth transition to daytime bottle and nightime nursing.

Advertisement

Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had a great experience the the breastflow bottles. My DS started off on bottles in the NICU and eventually didn't want to nurse anymore. I went out and got the breastflows and banished all other bottle nipples from the house and he was back on the breast in a day.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

We used the Avent temp bottles and their slow flow nipples. We also feed him the same way as pp linked. Our ds had no problems nursing or taking a bottle
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
I like the drop in option b/c I can use the bags that I use to store my pumped milk from work as the drop in bags for the bottles. We also use the slowest flow nipple.
Sorry to Crash.... Why didn't I think of this! Which bags did you use exactly? I'm currently trying to figure out which bottle to use with my next baby and this just sounds like one less step I'll have to do.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've had no problems switching back and forth. I knew I was going back to work and wanted to BF as long as possible.

My suggestions:

1) Try it first when LO isn't super hungry. Maybe wake her up early and let her try or after she eaten a bit on the boob and isn't super frantic. It's a learning experience for the baby. Think about someone trying to get you learn something new and you're really hungry. Easiest when baby is happy and relaxed.

2) Have DH or other person offer bottle. If needed, leave room or house. I think babies know where the good stuff comes from. Why bother with ckicken dinner when steak is right there.

3) Have DH or other keep giving bottles. Baby will learn you're for the good stuff and others give bottles.

I can now (LO - 5 months old) give her a bottle or BF. She prefers BF. If I'm holding a bottle she'll turn away from it and go to the boob.

4) Try different bottles.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It'll be fine! Good Luck Mama!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine does great switching back and forth. We use Tommee Tippee with great success. It just depends on the baby which bottle will be best.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
Sorry to Crash.... Why didn't I think of this! Which bags did you use exactly? I'm currently trying to figure out which bottle to use with my next baby and this just sounds like one less step I'll have to do.
Waiting... If you say Playex I may just freak out. I have dumped $$$ into those stupid drop ins because its the only bottle DS will take. On the other hand I have gobs of the Medela bags.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote