Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What should our next step be?

My DS is just turning one, and I feel like maybe that means we should move on to the next step with potty learning. We've been putting him on the potty since he was 5 months old. At this point he's pretty much using the potty to poop, although we do have misses if I don't put him on the potty after a meal, or if I leave him in his crib in the morning too long (if he isn't crying). He pees on the potty too, but that seems much more like we just happen to be catching it. He has been wearing prefolds or fitted diapers during the day so I'm thinking he feels it when he gets wet.

Anyway, I've read about switching over to training pants or undies at this age, at least when at home, but part of me feels like he isn't ready for this since we don't really have any potty cues for peeing. What do you think? Any tips about what we should do?

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Re: What should our next step be?

I'd suggest doing more naked time. Do it somewhere that accidents on the floor are ok and have rags around to make clean up quick (and have him help wipe up the pee too, I was suprised DS could at an early age). Then communicate to him when he is peeing what he's doing. You could also have the potty nearby to use too, like if he starts to pee, grap the potty seat and put that in front of him (or sit him on it) to finish peeing. A small mop bucket might work good too, have him stand and pee into it. I remember for us though, it was a great thing for DS to actually see that he was peeing. He learned fast that way. We were lucky that it was summer then too, so he had lots of naked time in and outside too.
Another idea would be to put him in a cotton fitted without a cover and then you can tell when he's wet immediately. If you catch him peeing, use a cue sound like psst or just saying your going potty or whatever and then change his diaper right away so he stays dry. Tell him his diaper is wet and that you want to keep him dry. If you do sign language with him, sign potty when you're talking to him about it. We did a pat on the hip (modified diaper sign) and used that as potty (since the actual toilet sign was too hard to do I think for a young one).
I would say don't worry about switching to training pants till you think you are both ready for it. I can't remember for sure, but I didn't put DS in them full time till 14-15 months I think. And I did it then because switching made things easier for me. He hated laying down for diaper changes, so I was having to snap on his fitteds while he was standing, but the biggest thing was when he started to pee standing more. Just pulling down pants and underwear was a lot easier than taking off a fitted and pulling down pants and putting them all back on right. We still had lots of accidents, but that also helped EC progress too. And for future advice, we use gerber training pants, they are 100% cotton and affordable (pack of 3 for $7) and are just like underwear but with a little extra layers where they need it. These don't hold a whole pee amount, but once he started to get it more and more, he would stop and hold his pee, so he'd only wet his underwear a little. (And now he hardly has any accidents at all at 21 months!)

Hope this helps, but I say go for more catches and have him learn what he's doing, more than just feeling being wet. Like I said before, I think it helps them a ton to see themselves actually peeing.

Last edited by smilingjessica; 01-03-2011 at 03:36 PM.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! It's pretty cold here right now, so naked time will probably be limited, but we can at least do the fitted with some babylegs and occasional nudity. Did your DS pretty much learn to use the potty standing to pee from the get-go or did you have to transition him from sitting? I've been wondering about that.

Planning on using the Gerber trainers when the time comes, although I've been lazy about getting any since the 18mo size is hard to find and I don't feel like paying shipping.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Sakari
Registered Users

just had to say - awesome post, Jessica!

GL, OP!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
My DS is just turning one, and I feel like maybe that means we should move on to the next step with potty learning. We've been putting him on the potty since he was 5 months old. At this point he's pretty much using the potty to poop, although we do have misses if I don't put him on the potty after a meal, or if I leave him in his crib in the morning too long (if he isn't crying). He pees on the potty too, but that seems much more like we just happen to be catching it. He has been wearing prefolds or fitted diapers during the day so I'm thinking he feels it when he gets wet.

Anyway, I've read about switching over to training pants or undies at this age, at least when at home, but part of me feels like he isn't ready for this since we don't really have any potty cues for peeing. What do you think? Any tips about what we should do?
This is us, too! We've been EC'ing since DS was around 6mos old, and we catch almost all his poops (though, some days when he doesn't go in the morning, he saves it to go in the car. Fun times.). If I'm paying attention and we're not busy, we catch most of his pees (even when we're out). I don't always know if he gets it now that he's 9mos old, but he seems to pee when I cue and he'll sometimes give us signs he needs to go. He's hardcore teething right now, though, so he'll often just pee and tell us afterwards with a loud, "AAAAH."

We've just started using training pants at home (I got a great deal on some HA trainers and I might order some Gerber, too), but DS is still on the long and skinny side so even the XS are a little gaping at the legs. Anything with a snappi can take too long to get off when he's ready to GO, but he's started to hold it longer and give us signs. We even have taken naps since Friday either naked on a blanket or in trainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingjessica View Post
I'd suggest doing more naked time. Do it somewhere that accidents on the floor are ok and have rags around to make clean up quick (and have him help wipe up the pee too, I was suprised DS could at an early age). Then communicate to him when he is peeing what he's doing. You could also have the potty nearby to use too, like if he starts to pee, grap the potty seat and put that in front of him (or sit him on it) to finish peeing. A small mop bucket might work good too, have him stand and pee into it. I remember for us though, it was a great thing for DS to actually see that he was peeing. He learned fast that way. We were lucky that it was summer then too, so he had lots of naked time in and outside too.
Another idea would be to put him in a cotton fitted without a cover and then you can tell when he's wet immediately. If you catch him peeing, use a cue sound like psst or just saying your going potty or whatever and then change his diaper right away so he stays dry. Tell him his diaper is wet and that you want to keep him dry. If you do sign language with him, sign potty when you're talking to him about it. We did a pat on the hip (modified diaper sign) and used that as potty (since the actual toilet sign was too hard to do I think for a young one).

Hope this helps, but I say go for more catches and have him learn what he's doing, more than just feeling being wet. Like I said before, I think it helps them a ton to see themselves actually peeing.
These are great tips! DS just decided to see what he did in the potty this morning for the first time. He pooped and I was telling him about it/cheering him on when he decided to lean back and look down. We both laughed and it was cute. I think now that he's more aware of what he's doing, he's starting to hold it more. He likes to be in the in-arms hold instead of sit on the potty to pee now, and I have a feeling it's so he can watch.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I'm going to go for them, too.

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
just had to say - awesome post, Jessica!

GL, OP!
Thanks Sakari!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

For your question about did my DS start peeing standing from the beginning... yes and no. He stood lots when outside and then when having accidents in the house, but then I would still do the infant hold with him over the toilet/sink/shower. I'm trying to remember back... he also didn't like to sit on his toilet seat insert, so sometimes we'd use the froggy potty, but mainly I'd just hold him. Then he started to spray straighter and getting heavier and too hard to aim and hold at the same time, so when we were out I'd have him stand on the toilet seat and then I'd help aim him down.
My friend carried around a portable toilet seat insert, but I didn't want to bother with that and I thought it was gross (since it touches every toilet seat you put it on). Since DS often didn't like to sit on the toilet at home, I never pushed it either, we just did other ways.
Now, when out I either have him stand on the seat still or stand on my shoes and that gives him enough height to make it in the toilet. And he is getting better at sitting on the toilet insert, thinks it's cool since he can do it all by himself now.
I hope that answers your question about that, hope I didn't ramble too much.

And I did end up finding some 18 month gerber training pants at a local fancy baby store, for like $12, and I got one pack and they really aren't that much smaller. I was suprised, I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch. If you have any sewing skills or a serger, you could also make them smaller by sewing the sides in. I also added extra padding to one of them, i was always going to do more, but just never got around to it and now he doesn't need it. I had bought a pair of the 2t gerber pants way early, I was excited for something new. I don't remember how old DS was, but they didn't fit at all yet. So you can always buy a pack now if you have the 2t locally, you can see how they fit and then have them when you want them since you plan on using them.

Last edited by smilingjessica; 01-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.