Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
vlemay1023
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Minimalist Baby <3

we have SO much STUFF in our house-it's ridiculous! im slowly decluttering everything, thank goodness! i want to be as simple as possible, but have a hard time not buying good deals! When people ask me why i don't want my child playing with this or that toy or limit the amount of TV, etc. i always get sniffed at, "well, you're keeping them from enjoying themselves, or yada yada yada..." anyone else get this? sorry to rant in your thread OP but i am in the same boat as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
Our infant lived skin-to-skin in the moby til she was in 3 months clothes. I seriously didn't bother dressing her at all! we had three newborn outfits and that was it. And it wasn't even September- it'll be so warm for your newbie!

We didn't buy ANYTHING until we could prove we needed it- i.e.- a swing when colic hit full force! And even then it was a used swing.

I ONLY buy consignment clothing and toys, which in my opinion ups the "green" factor and makes me feel less guilty if an outfit doesn't get a lot of use.

No stuffed animals unless organic
Only wooden handmade (bought off etsy) toys.
Only baking soda in the bathtub, no soaps or shampoos
only lotion is california baby.

Less is more, and you'll be grateful, espcially if you're already tripping over toys and gear for two other kids! Congrats on the pregnancy!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I live in VT & we don't jack up the heat, so a naked babe is not an option. For a Sept babe here this is what we'd need for washing 2x a week....

3 doz cloth diapers (what ever you like best)
4 ss onsies
4 ls onsies (or ls shirts if you're doing wool longies)
4 sleepers w/ feet
4 pairs of pants (or longies)
4 pairs of socks
1 pair of booties
2 sweaters / fleece jackets
2 cotton hats
1 wool or fleece hat
1 car seat blanket

we have more than this, but bought almost none of it except the diapers.

for washing I just use water & moisturize w/ coconut oil. we are using a baby tub for DS, but never used one for DD (she hated it the 1x we tried) I just bathed w/ her in the big tub.

if you have a home birth your midwife might ask you to have more hats. ours wanted us to have 4.

Last edited by Junipervt; 01-08-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
I live in VT & we don't jack up the heat, so a naked babe is not an option. For a Sept babe here this is what we'd need for washing 2x a week....

3 doz cloth diapers (what ever you like best)
4 ss onsies
4 ls onsies (or ls shirts if you're doing wool longies)
4 sleepers w/ feet
4 pairs of pants (or longies)
4 pairs of socks
1 pair of booties
2 sweaters / fleece jackets
2 cotton hats
1 wool or fleece hat
1 car seat blanket

we have more than this, but bought almost none of it except the diapers.

for washing I just use water & moisturize w/ coconut oil. we are using a baby tub for DS, but never used one for DD (she hated it the 1x we tried) I just bathed w/ her in the big tub.

if you have a home birth your midwife might ask you to have more hats. ours wanted us to have 4.
We're skipping the baby tub- I bought one for the first two kiddos and never used it!

We're having a homebirth, but I've never heard of midwives wanting you to have a bunch of hats. Why would they want you to have a hat collection?

And we moisturize with coconut oil, too. It's amazing!!
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
We're skipping the baby tub- I bought one for the first two kiddos and never used it!

We're having a homebirth, but I've never heard of midwives wanting you to have a bunch of hats. Why would they want you to have a hat collection?

And we moisturize with coconut oil, too. It's amazing!!
the 4 hats is b/c they keep them on the warmer & switch them out if babe is having a hard time keeping up his/her body temp. that's why they usually have a ton of receiving blankets on the list of stuff to get too. they keep those on a warmer too.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
the 4 hats is b/c they keep them on the warmer & switch them out if babe is having a hard time keeping up his/her body temp. that's why they usually have a ton of receiving blankets on the list of stuff to get too. they keep those on a warmer too.
Oh, cool!
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i tried to stay fairly minimalist with ds, but even then i got a lot of stuff i didn't think i'd need. mainly, i think my must haves would be:

- a sling or other carrier of some type
- 25-30 nb diapers with 5-6 covers (we used fittedes, but obviously pfs would be cheaper, dh just won't do them, so it was worth the extra cost to me)
- 10 onesies or sleepers (depending on the time of year. my baby was born in south texas in september. he wore nothing but onesies for the first 3 months. but i could see where a baby in a colder climate would need something more than that. and i prefer 10, because then you can go a few days in between doing laundry)
- 10 receiving blankets (my grandma made me these, i had way more than 10, but 10 would be a good amount. i used them to wrap the baby, clean up spills, as a burp cloth, everything. i rarely had one further than 2 ft from me at all times)
- 5 pairs of baby socks
- 1 or 2 hats
- baby bath (we didn't have a bathtub, or a sink that would work well for giving a baby a bath, i thought it was a stupid purchase at first, but we ended up using it a lot. not all people would need this though i don't think)
- dr. bronner's baby mild body wash
- coconut oil for moisturizer
- somewhere for the baby to sleep if you don't co-sleep
- carseat
- bouncy seat (this is because we skipped the infant carseat and just went with a convertible that was good for 5-40 lbs. i wore him everywhere, but if we went out to eat or something or i just wanted to set him down for a minute, i needed somewhere to put him)
- boppy pillow, or something similar if you're bfing. this really helped me with the hours long bfing marathons

and really, i think that's it. we had all sorts of other stuff and gadgets. my son never wanted to be put down or anything, so we rarely used the swing. and really, if we had a bouncy seat, why did we need a swing? i dunno, ask grandma and grandpa and we had lots of cute newborn clothes, but he never wore them. i could never see through the sleep-deprived fog clearly enough to figure out how to get them on a wriggling little baby. so, as he grew out of everything, i pared down what i realized i didn't need and just kept what i thought was most useful to pass on to the next baby
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
-3 pants
-5 shirts
-2 pairs of socks
-2 hats
-1 sweater

Other stuff that I used:
-3 cozy blankets
-receiving blankets
-carseat (obviously!)
-baby carriers (I have a sling, a ring sling, and a moby)
I think this is good- sounds very minimal but mine was a winter baby and really all he needed were sleepers(or nightgowns if you prefer) and maybe a few onesies. I would have a pair of pants a sweater/jacket and some knit caps. Other than the aforementioned baby items I seriously recommend a bouncy seat for when you need to put the baby down in a safe place. Honestly I have 3 boys and after keeping each of their 'special outfits' and whatnot I could have spent about $5 at consignment and gotten all the 0-6month clothes he needed. Once the warmer months rolled around he lived in onsies and t-shirts. I bought cheap cheap white ones or dingy used ones and tie dyed them.
I never did get the point of recieving blankets. They are useless after a week. I had a couple really soft organic ones that I loved and ended up keeping for light blanket days but for cleanups I never bought those stupid dinky little burp cloths. I bought 2-3 packs of organic gerber prefolds on clearance for about $2 each and used those to clean up everything!
Congratulations on your new one btw!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bump

I think this is a great topic lets keep it going!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
hezdwoody
Registered Users

When DD was born we were given a lot of stuff, and before DS was born we got rid of a lot of it. After DS this is what we saved for future babies:

-Prefold Diapers and Covers...don't remember how many but it was the minimum recommended numbers. (I actually go back to the small prefolds when they are potty training instead of buying the lightly padded potty trainers.)
-Two wool diaper covers
- handmade ring sling and baby carrier
- umbrella stroller
- vibrating chair (we used this a lot! move it around everywhere, especially in the kitchen when a blanket on the floor isn't as cozy)
- wood high chair
- I recently downsized the clothes. We usually use the same 4 to 5 outfits over and over even when we have more.
- 2 bpa free pacifiers (both kids used them a little bit)
- several baby blankets
- small "pack and play' type crib..it's a small size more like a bassinet
- we kept our bumbo chair....we bought it for a very clingy DS thinking he might like to sit up, he didn't but I hated spending the money on it and hang onto it "just in case." I really regret buying it!
- We got rid of the crib even though both kids used it...it was a hand me down and I didnt feel safe with it anymore. When we are ready for another kid I will try going without a crib which I think will work fine!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

We went minimalist with my 4th. I have 4 under 4, and actually gave away most of our baby things before she was even born to try and simplify! We had:

Arms Reach Co-Sleeper (which she now uses for naps as a P&P at 10 months old and sleeps part of the night in it, otherwise she is in bed).
NB woolies (like 3 soakers, 2 longies)
handful of shirts (no onsies, like 5 shirts, maybe)
2-3 'outfits' that never got worn
3 dozen cloth diapers (we did PF's and fitteds with wool or thirsties xs/duo 1's)
a few nb hats to match the woolies
miracle swaddle blanket
aden and anise blankets (a MUST HAVE!)
carseat
sling
handpump with a few bottles and a few pacifiers (which she never took either of until the last month (9months old)).
A few pairs of socks.

I don't bathe my kids unless they are dirty, and for a new baby, that meant like 3 months before her first bath <3 At that age, the sink worked great.

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote