Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
MoBaby
Registered Users
seller

Distractable 6m baby and working mom - at my wits end!

Anyone have any suggestions? I am seriously losing my mind. (apologies for rant-like nature of post).

Frankly, I never thought I'd nurse past 6 months, but here we are and I'm not ready to stop yet for whatever reason. Up until now, my schedule on a work day has been get up around 5:30, he usually wakes up soon thereafter and we nurse for a just a few minutes until he's distracted. Then I offer again before I leave at 7 and he usually nurses better. (and after starting solids, my husband has been giving him oatmeal and fruit after I leave). I pump twice at work which nets me 14-15 oz to provide DS 3 bottles at daycare. I pick up him at 4:30 and we nurse as soon as we get home (4:45). Then final feeding at 7 before bedtime (and usually 1, sometimes 2 MOTN feedings).

But now, DS is SO distractable, it is usually impossible to get in any good feeding in the morning before I leave (and I HAVE to leave at 7) or the afternoon when I get home. And much of the time on the weekends. He gives me all his hunger signals, but won't latch for more than a few seconds before he has to whip his head around to see a shadow on the wall. Nursing laying down usually works better, but while latched on he is constantly trying to scoot up or turn over onto his stomach. I don't have very big boobs (A before I was pregnant) so he pops off and grins. I roll him back over, he latches, rolls, grins. Then after a few cycles he's gets mad, presumably because he's actually hungry since he keeps trying to latch, and it's over). Sometimes I can tickle him or distract him by blowing on his hair and then we start all over. I've tried nursing sitting up so he could look around (always something he can't resist checking out behind his head). We never get more than a few minutes in during the day and then he's crying to nurse again an hour later (times that I'm home).

Also, I had oversuppy problems early on and I constantly feel full. Going around half the day feeling full puts me in a very bad mood.

Any suggestions? Everyone always tells me to nurse in a dark room, but frankly, there are no dark rooms in my house during the day. I've wondered if I need to adjust his schedule somehow at daycare too. Maybe fewer bigger bottles? DS is 16 lb, 9 oz, but only gained a pound of that in the last 2 months, so I worry he's getting enough.

Thanks ladies!

Advertisement

MoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Distractable 6m baby and working mom - at my wits end!

OK, I am right there with you, only we have some additional issues going on to that I won't get into unless necessary.
Here are some suggestions and things I've been doing:
1. Get a nursing necklace. Something he can play with WHILE nursing.
2. Add breast milk to ALL his food. Even 1/2 oz adds up.
3. I do this on Dr.s orders, so take it for what you want...we've been pumping EVERYTHING except MOTN milk. This way we can measure every ounce to know what he's getting, AND BECAUSE he has a tongue tie and doesn't transfer milk well, he is more interested and thorough at bottle feeding than breast feeding. (MANY will say EPing is bad, and I bet there are right, but for us, our failure to thrive baby has gone into the 5%ile FINALLY by doing this method.
4. TALK TO A LACTATION CONSULTANT!!!!! Mine has helped TREMENDOUSLY!
5. Put on background noise or give him something specific to look at above you, like nursing under the mobile...
6. Keep at it, don't give up and know that you are an AWESOME MAMA!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies are for teaching patience, right?!?!

First, remember that you are doing what is mostest mostest healthiest ever ever ever for your baby. I think that is fulfilling and a great reminder when I had thrush and a milk blister that was soo extraordinarily painful I coulda walked away from bfing when DD was only like 3 months old.

DD is also 6 months and I'm learning about this distraction thing. When I'm in a pinch for time, but DD seems to want to take her pretty little sweet time, I actually just put a blanket over her head. A light one, as if I was using those nursing covers. If there's a blanket over her head, DD ain't got nothin' to look at!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same situation, same schedule, 1-2 MOTN feedings, oversupply, distractable baby, but add BITING. Nursing has always been a test of love and patience with DD, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll check back for suggestions.

Trying out swagbucks.
little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Right there with you! Mine is 7 months and not just distractable, but constantly in motion-kicking out, pushing on me, wiggling her butt all around, etc etc. We don't nurse laying down, but now that she's started crawling I imagine that would make it worse, not better.

Some things I do are to try to cover or block her view of whatever the main distraction is. In our case it's usually the tv. I don't turn it off because then the 2 yr old would have a fit and then THAT becomes the distraction. So, I try to set up a block of pillows or blanket or so on. Sort of like a little nursing enclosure around the baby-me in front, chair arms to the sides, pillow or blanket wall behind her.

Also, I have tried a nursing necklace, but it doesn't work for us, however a bright blanket draped over my shoulder for her to reach does help. It stretches more lol. DO NOT however play peek a boo with the blanket, that just ends it all.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is 7 months and is also highly distractable. Nursing necklaces didn't work for us, but for some reason she is fascinated by the clips of my nursing bras or straps of tanktops. It is annoying to have the strap of my shirt constantly snapped while she eats, but at least she will eat continuously and not pull away with her sharp little teeth still attached!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

I second the suggestion for a nursing necklace. And even if you can't get to a dark room, opt for the quietest area you can find.

Also know that it is just a stage and that it will get better. For a while he may just need to eat every hour while you are home because he's not taking in large meals. Don't look at that as failure and try not to get too frustrated at it!

ETA: Great job on sticking in there through the tough stages of nursing! It is so rewarding as they get older.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
MoBaby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. I'm shopping for a nursomg necklace Also, did some experimenting over the weekend and discovered that having a blanket over DS's head is hilarious to him and not at all condusive to focus. Makes sense because we give him a blanket or burp cloth to play with when we put him down for naps (he messes with it for a few minutes then rolls over and goes to sleep!). I haven't nursed in public much either so he's not used to nursing covers. Oh well!

What did work a little was to try to time feedings for before naps, instead of after as has always been out schedule. That got some more cooperation although it won't really help with workdays! I put the noise machine on too. Also when he started messing around I would get up and walk just a little bit away and say "oh, I guess you're done." If he fussed instead of continuing to play, I would say, "oh would you like to nurse some more?" and offer again. That actually worked a couple of times! Of course we all know babies get wise to our tricks quickly

I'm feelin' for the mamas whose LO's have teeth-we're not there yet but likely any day.
MoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Besides the distractability issue, I would also advise you to keep the daycare bottles smaller (so his stomach doesn't stretch) and slowest slow flow. Bigger faster bottles spoil a baby into getting immediate gratification at a feed (without waiting for a letdown) and getting a huge bellyful at once in order to feel full (which may cause him to feel unsatisfied with what he gets from nursing). There may be aspects of impatience and being unsatisfied in addition to the distractibility.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
FaithRocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say I'm sorry. Good for you for still BFing even though it's difficult AND you're working! My little one is distractable too, I find that using a nursing cover helps.
FaithRocks is offline   Reply With Quote