Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #81
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: UPDATED- Please help my baby wont breast feed and midwife says to give up :(

I actually want to clarify, my last post sounded like he drinks a bottle everyday, many days he does not, and when he does it is often just partal 60ml or so.

At his last visit the doctor said he was fine to go bottle free, but then his weight slowed hence the midwife saying to add formula again. I really want to avoid giving a bottle each day instead of a meal at the breats as she suggests. I am hoping the fenugreek will help and I will get the docs opinion again next time we go.

SHould I make an appointment sooner for this? Or just work with the fenugreek to increase milk flow?

He wants the breast, even pulls at my shirt and smacks his little lips now.

The pumping is tricky because his meals are not regular yet, I think due to the milk dropping again

Advertisement

Last edited by 2+2macht4; 05-04-2011 at 08:24 AM.
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #82
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: UPDATED- Please help my baby wont breast feed and midwife says to give up :(

I am impressed at how much you've gone through to get here! Congrats and enjoy your nursling!
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #83
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thanks. Its funny now I do not remember what it was like not to breastfeed. Though I am sure happy not to be going in the kitchen at 4 am to make bottles and then pump, oh that was awful.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #84
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Congrats, mama! I was wondering how things were going for you Glad to hear that you managed to get your LO on the breast!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #85
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

My son had a very similar problem. He wouldn't latch until he was three weeks old. I had wonderful breastfeeding support available and he is now breastfeeding like a champ. A few things I would suggest:

Finger feeding worked well for me vs. the bottle. You take a clean finger and put it in the baby's mouth and then take a syringe in the corner of the mouth. When the baby sucks, push a little milk in with the syringe. This way you can make the flow much slower than the bottle you were feeding with.

Try supplementing about half of the meal BEFORE offering the breast. This satiates the baby and lets him know that he's getting fed. William refused to latch if he was starving.

Pump just after you feed the baby EVERY TIME. It's a good habit and will tell your body how often the baby wants to eat. Every four hours is not sufficient.

You can also try mini pumping sessions that last just 5 minutes or so in the daytime between the feedings. This should stimulate the breast enough to make more milk.

If your baby is full term you can take the flanges and bottles attached to them and put them in the fridge between pumping sessions instead of washing them every session. Wash them once a day. (From the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding)

Consider renting a hospital pump if you haven't already. Some women have a difficult time maintaining a full supply on less than a hospital grade pump.

The fenugreek and blessed thistle work well, try it!

Have you tried hand expression on your right breast? There is no way for me to explain it in a post, but you can try looking it up on Kelly Mom I find that when I am especially engorged hand expression works much better.

Remember this is a learning curve for your baby. If he is latching some of the time you already have done alot of good work. Your baby won't suddenly nurse like a normal baby, it's going to take some time. William latched by week 3 and was taking all of his feedings from the breast at week 5. Skin to skin contact is very helpful. It's how William latched the very first time. I sent my husband to make up a bottle while I laid with the baby with my shirt undone. Suddenly, He latched!

I would highly recomend you get the Womanly art of Breastfeeding, it has so many good tips!

You've already done so much for your little one, I know! So many women would have thrown in the towel by now. I remember the uphill battle, the annoying nipple shield, the breash shells, pumping in the middle of the night....You're doing a great job, mama. Keep up the good work!
Willum'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #86
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I went through a similar situation when my daughter was a baby, we ended up breastfeeding until she was 3 1/2. Those first few months were so so hard. The making bottles and pumping and breastfeeding is SO exhausting It was so worth it in the end though. I hope that things smooth out for you soon.

Fenugreek and mothers milk tea have been very helpful for me both times. Also read about weight gain on kelly mom. My doctor was reccomending I supplent because my daughter was "only" gaining 4oz a week. Which is ok, when I brought it up with him he said he just didn't like to see babies gaining the "minimum". So im not sure how much your sons weight gain slowed but that is something to think about.

When I quit the formula supplements my daughter was super fussy for a week, it was horrible but pees/poos were good so I pushed through.

Anyway I just wanted to say good job hanging in there and I bet you will be glad you did.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #87
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We were at the doc this morning for a cough, we talked to him about the weight and he said his weight is fine, no need to bottle feed.

I think we just need to push through the fussy barrier while the milk comes up to speed over that final hurdle and we should hopefully be in the clear
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #88
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama you have been through so much - congratulations on getting him back to the breast! I exclusively pumped with my first so I know firsthand how pumping is sometimes the worst of both worlds - bottle feeding, washing pump parts and no soft cuddly nursing times.

I was lucky that my second nursed like a champ. Reading your posts took me right back to those early days of being mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted. I hope you are able to enjoy every second of your little nursling for as long as you both want to.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #89
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Wonderful news!!! Way to go for perservering and fighting for your little one Hope the rest of the nursing road is awesome.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #90
FaithRocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say that I am so sorry that you are not getting the support you need from your midwife. You'd think that she would be more encouraging!
FaithRocks is offline   Reply With Quote