Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy No weight gain from 2mo to 3mo old

DS is EBF and has been huge since birth. He was 11lb 9oz and hit 20lbs at 2.5mo. I weighed him on 11/28. I just weighed him again and he's right on 20lbs.

Other than weight gain, I'm not worried about anything. He can roll from his back to tummy and back again, his diapers are the perfect 'mustard seed yellow', and his fingernails are growing enough to need cut once a week. The only time he cries is when he's tired (Thanks to an energetic big sister...) and all around a very happy baby.

He goes to the doctors next month and I am so scared they're gonna tell me he's FTT (which just seems odd being 20lbs) and try to make me give him formula.

I'm just so confused about him and scared...

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No weight gain from 2mo to 3mo old

Babies grow in length and then weight, all the time. He will probably gain weight this month.

as for his diapers, sounds perfect, and sisters are wonderful, just make sure she isn't distracting him to the point he isn't eating well at each feed. That is what happened to DD a few years ago, she didn't gain for a few months, because she was so easy, loved her 4 brothers and we easily distracted.

No one can make you give your baby formula, if he hasn't gained anything by next month, there are tons of options but in the mean time just make sure he gets to finish meals, without distraction.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I know someone who had a really big baby like that and he gained all his weight up front the first few months and then didn't gain any for another few months, kinda to even out I guess. He's totally fine, and still pretty huge! (Especially from my perspective - my first dd didn't hit 20 pounds until she was 2 years old!)
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

wow 20lbs at 10weeks! just wait it out mama, there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. its normal for his weight to plateau a bit since he's so big already. as long as he is not having any other eating issues (sudden reflux, refusing to eat, etc) and as long as his diapers are normal, he should be just fine.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

What did you weigh him on? A baby scale, and the same one you've been weighing him on for the last couple of months? I don't trust most home scales, personally, for infants, and I don't trust different scales, either. They can vary soooo widely.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
MrsAmandaRJordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't doubt yourself mama, he sounds prefect!! Also, I wanted to say Hello from another VBAC mama of a BIG baby! My boy was 11lb 4oz VBA2C! Your body did the hard part, don't doubt it now, this is easy and your baby is FINE!

I am also mother to Kai (3/15/02) C-Section, Helen (10/21/07) C-Section,Liam (12/7/10) HBA2C, Declan (Due 7/26/13) HOPEFULLY VBAC
MrsAmandaRJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
jennpink
Registered Users

Yes- bless you for delivering that big boy!!! My DD was 9 lbs 9 oz and that's the biggest of all my friends....but sounds like he's doing great- keep it up!!
jennpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

I agree...he sounds great! And babies seem to go through periods of rapid growth then hardly anything...all normal! And thank goodness, if he kept gaining at the pace he has been he would be in trouble!! I bet he is just right WTG mama!
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
amsroth2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw! If you're worried about your doctor saying something ... I would say, find a different doctor! My little man was 8lbs 1oz at birth ... and by 10 weeks was only at 10lbs. But he had grown 4 inches. I was very concerned and asked my doctor ... he looked right at me and said, "all babies grow differently, don't let this scare you into giving him formula! Keep with the breastfeeding .... he is showing no signs of malnutrition & will catch up soon." Your sweetheart is already ahead of the game...and you're the mama. You know best!
amsroth2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
TheQuirkyCat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't worry. Lots of BF babies gain weight slowly and are just fine, and most pedis have seen that and understand it. Even if your doctor starts pushing formula, you can tell him to take a hike. My first was a slow gainer, too, and still is. She eats everything in sight and at over 2 yrs she's about 25 pounds (and tall!). As long as your baby looks healthy, is making plenty of dirty diapers, and is reaching milestones appropriately, you have nothing to worry about
TheQuirkyCat is offline   Reply With Quote